Questions on Measurements

• Thread starter Saber_777
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to make an 8 stringer. But I realized I dont know what size orders to make. I plan to have a 27 in scale +headstock. I dont need a scarfing joint do I? What do I need to do if I dont make one?

Please suggest me some glues?!

I know this may be taking a shortcut but where can I buy a pre-fretted 8 string fretboard of any material?

Thanks guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
You don't need a scarf joint. Some will argue that it is stronger than straight wood. Especially with the added tension of 2 extra strings. It made sense when it was explained to me. StewMac has a fret calculator. Dunno where you would find a pre radiused/pre slotted 8 string fretboard. I just use regular carpenter's glue.

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
You don't "need" a scarf joint on any guitar, but IMO it looks a lot better, as well as making the neck a little bit more stable (especially on ERG's).

For the glue, Titebond is THE shit. RestorationAD has been using T88 epoxy on his builds lately, and that seems to be working out pretty well, so it could be worth a shot as well.
IIRC LMII makes pre-slotted fretboards for whatever scale length you want.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
If you do go with a scarf, you can order shorter boards for your neck. For instance, if you plan to use exotic hardwood fillets, you can buy 24" ones instead of 36". Same goes for the bulk of the neck. If you plan on using maple, you can buy 24" boards and use a sperate piece for the headstock.
I've done both and there is far more wastage from a non scarf.

demonx

Searls Guitars
Vendor
Reaction score
I've done both and there is far more wastage from a non scarf.

I've recently been transformed from a scarf hater to a scarf user. THe last 4 necks I've carved have been scarf joints - so much easier, faster, cheaper.

XylemBassGuitar

Owner, Xylem Guitars
Reaction score
I've recently been transformed from a scarf hater to a scarf user. THe last 4 necks I've carved have been scarf joints - so much easier, faster, cheaper.

+1, I've always like scarf joints better, although if this is your first guitar and you don't have a lot of experience using a block plane or getting things flat to about .001", you might want to go with the route-away style headstock found on most Fenders.

If you do want to do the scarf joint, check out this book by the Cumpiano brothers:

Guitarmaking: Tradition and Technology

it will have a full step-by-step set of instructions for making a scarf joint (plus all kinds of other guitar-building goodies).

Reaction score
Well, I guess I will be using one then!! Thanks a bunch. Where is the best place to read up on exactly how to do it? Thanks guys!

')