Quick Ibanez question.

• Thread starter SimonEriksson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SimonEriksson

Reaction score
Hi! A few weeks ago I got my first Ibanez, RG870QMZ. Anyway, I'm buying a 7 string in a few weeks from now and I'm hooked on Ibanez now.

I'm looking at the RGD7421, it seems to be perfect for me with the extended scale lenght. The only thing I don't like about it is the chrome switch. Can I just buy a regular black 3-way switch and install one of those instead?

The other guitar I'm looking at is the RGIR27FE-BK but I don't get the whole killswitch thing, seems useless to me and I'd much rather have a second volume knob. Can I remove the killswitch and install a second volume knob or will the hole be the wrong size?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score
I imagine the killswitch toggle will be the same size if not smaller. Smaller is easy enough to work with, since you only need patience and a cone of sandpaper to expand it out to fit provided you take it slow and easy. Ibanez thankfully use fairly consistent routes for their various components which makes swapping out elements quite easy.

Krigsmjod

Reaction score
You can bore any mounting hole with a drill if you are careful. This is a common thing to do when replacing OEM pots with American pots for whatever reason. The American made pots are a tad wider. I've done this on a couple guitars without any harm to the finish.

For the RGD that's very likely a standard sized 3 way toggle, so if you find a black one chances are it will drop right in. You'll just have to desolder the old one and solder the new one.

For the Iron Label I agree... I don't want to go out and buy a guitar because it has a button that turns it off lol. The hole will probably be smaller than a pot, but easy fix.

7-request

Reaction score
its alot bigger than the vol pot....

i have one...

')