Quick luthiery/manteinance questions not deserving a thread

• Thread starter OmegaSlayer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
There's definitely a difference in the hardness of different nut locking blocks or their finishes- at least within generations of Ibanezes, and Jackson 1k/OG/SP(?) Floyd models. They all mostly look the same until you've used them for a little while. That said, rough surface finishes and rougher dimensions are just as definitely the trend of the cheaper ones I have used, but I couldn't say it's conclusive enough to suggest which ones are either. I also don't really think it makes a difference to the guitar.

I don't know if the Special and OG have different blocks, but it wouldn't surprise me. I'm 99% sure the OG and 1000 do.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Sorry to ask the obvious, but have you contacted Strandberg? I ask only because what you describe sounds like a design flaw and, if I'm right, they'd have (a) heard about it and (b) possibly had to fix this in production.

Not super surprising, its one of the early Bodens made in Korea. But I really just needed a quick fix for this.

Rubbishplayer

Forgive the typos...I'm all thumbs on this thing..
Reaction score
Not super surprising, its one of the early Bodens made in Korea. But I really just needed a quick fix for this.
With huge caveats that I've never worked on a Strandberg, it sounds like a break angle problem. As such, the only cure looks like increasing that angle.

Which, looking at a typical Boden stub "head", would imply removing the string anchors and milling a couple of mm off the surface of the head.

Any thoughts from others?

1000011395.jpg

')