Quick luthiery/manteinance questions not deserving a thread

• Thread starter OmegaSlayer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
For my own curiosity’s sake does a d tuna just work for E to D or does it go down 2 semitones no matter

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For my own curiosity’s sake does a d tuna just work for E to D or does it go down 2 semitones no matter

You can adjust it a bit, but it only down tunes so much, so the overall setup is going to determine how close or far away from a particular tuning it'll work with.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Could you achieve the required result with a D-Tuna equipped recessed Floyd that has been blocked to dive only?

slippityslaps

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wondering if the neck needs to be re-fretted or just recrowned.

Backstory: I have an Ibanez Prestige from 2009 - 2010, with plenty of wear on it over time. Recently gave it a quick truss rod adjustment, very minimal relief, and lowered the action.

I now have inconsistencies with dead frets across the strings, in different places. The action was lowered less than what it used to be, but not unreasonably so, I have another guitar with lower action and it does not have this issue. I'd like to think the action was high enough at one point that uneven frets (due to wear and tear) were masked, but now since I'd like it lower, the issues are surfacing. The fret crowns are visibly wider, indicating all the use I've put it through. Thoughts?

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
Probably could use a level. Would be interesting to get the nut looked at a well, as a higher than it should be nut can throw your action reference out a bit.

slippityslaps

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Probably could use a level. Would be interesting to get the nut looked at a well, as a higher than it should be nut can throw your action reference out a bit.
The nut is a top lock, screws down at the top to prevent erroneous tuning and throw the tremolo out of alignment. Do you think that may still influence it? Initially the first fret across all strings is consistent, but further up the neck, the high E string has higher action than the B and G.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Man my PRS SE is a mysterious guitar.

Explain this:

High E action 17th fret 4/64", lower it a little, rings out like a fuckin bango. Well shit, right? So I lower it even more to see where the ringing is coming from, lower to 3/64". The ringing is all gone. Hello? How can higher action buzz more?

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Man my PRS SE is a mysterious guitar.

Explain this:

High E action 17th fret 4/64", lower it a little, rings out like a fuckin bango. Well shit, right? So I lower it even more to see where the ringing is coming from, lower to 3/64". The ringing is all gone. Hello? How can higher action buzz more?

Was the buzz on the open note or all fretted/some fretted notes?

')