Quick luthiery/manteinance questions not deserving a thread

• Thread starter OmegaSlayer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
OK then well good luck then.

Though it begs the question: why ask for advice in the first place?
I asked for very specific advice on primer for acrylic paints in the first post, and my question was not answered. Rather, you suggested that I just do something else instead, which I cannot do in this case. I do appreciate that you took the time to give advice, I just can't take those suggestions so I need help with my current situation.

I am open to suggestions on primer/sealer/base coat as well as clear coat, but the acrylic paint layer has to stay. I picked the primer because acrylic primer, acrylic paint I guess, and 2k seems like it's the easiest clear coat to get good results with. Again, I am looking for specific input on how to be successful with acrylic paints.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I asked for very specific advice on primer for acrylic paints in the first post, and my question was not answered. Rather, you suggested that I just do something else instead, which I cannot do in this case. I do appreciate that you took the time to give advice, I just can't take those suggestions so I need help with my current situation.

I think what he's trying to say is that there are various types of "acrylic paint" and some play nicer with particular primers than others. The product you posted seems to be urethane based, so if your paints are as well it should work, barring some noted compatibility issue on the label.

So without knowing everything you're using the best advice is to keep to products known for working together.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I think what he's trying to say is that there are various types of "acrylic paint" and some play nicer with particular primers than others. The product you posted seems to be urethane based, so if your paints are as well it should work, barring some noted compatibility issue on the label.

So without knowing everything you're using the best advice is to keep to products known for working together.
I was planning to use these paints: acrylics

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
So what's the goal? Are you going to be doing art? Is there a texture thing you're going for? I'm guessing these are latex based?
Trying to end up with something like this (though I'm only doing the top):

Here's a video of someone doing it on guitar:

You basically thin the paints with medium and then do a swirl directly on the guitar rather than having to mess with all of the water thickeners, transparent colors, limited sharpness, and poor color selection of traditional swirling. I also think it just looks way better, and I'm fairly sure that both of these are done using similar techniques (although I don't know what paints they use):
james_tyler-5_1.jpg

p_region_PIA77_BON_00_01_sub_1.jpg

I've watched some guides/tutorials and those liquitex paints seemed like a good suggestion, given the fairly huge color selection and low price point. It's pretty hard to find detailed chemistry info on artist paints.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
@MetalDestroyer, just sand back the existing finish a bit, and use a high pigment paint like Ironlak or Montana spray paint. It'll cover fine, you don't have to worry about primer with it (some would argue you still need it, but I have never had any issues with Montana/Lak covering over anything and everything in its path). Then cover it with 2k and wet sand. Remember to hang that mother fucker for like 3 weeks. I swore it was ready for a stand after two, but it was not.

Before, this was just a sparkle champagne white:
20240523_105715.jpg

After zero primer, just Ironlak paint and 2k:
Screenshot_20240818_113532_Gallery.jpg

Results speak for themselves, this was one can of blue and one can of 2k, wet sanded to 1500 grit.

Edit: just saw your post above mine and realized why you're not using spray Ironlak! Disregard, but leaving up for future people looking.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Trying to end up with something like this (though I'm only doing the top):

Here's a video of someone doing it on guitar:

You basically thin the paints with medium and then do a swirl directly on the guitar rather than having to mess with all of the water thickeners, transparent colors, limited sharpness, and poor color selection of traditional swirling. I also think it just looks way better, and I'm fairly sure that both of these are done using similar techniques (although I don't know what paints they use):
james_tyler-5_1.jpg

p_region_PIA77_BON_00_01_sub_1.jpg

I've watched some guides/tutorials and those liquitex paints seemed like a good suggestion, given the fairly huge color selection and low price point. It's pretty hard to find detailed chemistry info on artist paints.

I'm not seeing any specific red flags given the application, but not having used any of this exact stuff the best I can do is say I think there's like an 85% chance it'll work if you get the mix right.

')