Quick Mix Test for The IDOLER Album; New drum mix and Bass tone (POD, DFHS)

• Thread starter Slampop
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
Maaaaan how do you compress like that and make it not pump? It's beautiful!

Slampop

Artist/Producer: IDOLER
Reaction score
It works for me! weird!!! I don't know what happened to the link guys...i reposted the link, hopefully that helps! ...and yes...Drewsif is right...it's the "Relentless (Album Version)" on the soundclick. I also posted the soundclick link in case the dropbox poops out again! Thanks guys!!!

edit: after checking into it...dropbox has been doing this lately with a lot of links on here. You gotta click it over and over until the clip comes up! that kinda sucks, but had to do that w/ a lot of your guys' stuff today!

BrainArt- Haha, awesome man! this track "goin on the ipod"...is a great compliment! thanks :D

Drewsif- ...yes sir...yes you can!!! haha :shred:

Prydogga- Thank you...it's awesome you dig the snare...i have always struggled w/ snare tones more than anything else, and this is definitely one of my fav's thus far!
teach you how to snare? haha, for me, a mid scoop (not too much scoop) and then a peak in the high range between 6-8khz (usually) depending on what i want and what snare i'm using. move the high boost around until you hear the tone you like. for the "smack"...it's all about the compression of the snare and then the compression of the drum bus. Don't overcompress the snare by itself, rather, listen to how it reacts w/ the compression on the whole kit, then tweak! :)

Thanks again dudes...the dropbox link "does" work...you might have to just click it a bunch of times...if not...just right click and download!

Sora01

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reaction score
I likey :yesway: :)

Only thing is that snare sounds almost like a metal tin can, doesn't quite sit in the mix nicely, but if that's what you are going for it's all cool! just my opinion :)

Slampop

Reaction score
I likey :yesway: :)

Only thing is that snare sounds almost like a metal tin can, doesn't quite sit in the mix nicely, but if that's what you are going for it's all cool! just my opinion :)
Thanks dude! i likey your stuff as well!!! :steve:

as for the snare...it sits in the mix so well i can't turn it down enough to not pop out!! haha, do you mean it sounds out of place w/ the sound of the rest of the mix? but yea, it's "exactly" what i'm going for!!! haha! thanks again dude, keep up the great work!!! :)

Joeywilson- dude, honestly, a lot of trial and error...and then saving settings, tweaking, saving, tweaking etc. so on and so forth! i will say this, rely on compressing the drums to hit hard as opposed to your master! ;) ...in fact...don't even master anything until you get the mix fat!!!

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Your mix is awesomely fat! Just not digging the snare tone. It's EQ:d like it had no low-end at all.

Composition is good, mix is good... You've nailed it!

Slampop

Reaction score
Your mix is awesomely fat! Just not digging the snare tone. It's EQ:d like it had no low-end at all.

Composition is good, mix is good... You've nailed it!

thanks man, my snare preference is definitely not for everyone...and there is a ton of low end in it actually, it's just the "sound" of the snares in DFHS1, this is the DW, it's bottom end is there, but a bit pingy-pongy as well, i just dig it for some strange reason. :metal: ...i have S2.0, and i'm about to take the NIR-Z from that and sample it in with DFHS1, might be awesome...and more to the liking of everyone here.

Cynic- glad you dig the song buddy, not sure how it hurts the ears tho :scratch: ...pretty smooth to me! ;) ...i noticed that dropbox sounds different than when i just play it on my PC...you think maybe they're having streaming/sound quality problems as well?

Turd85- Thanks broski!!! i've been slammed lately...AGAIN!!! still gonna get around to messin with that track you gave me tho dude! sorry bout that! :squint:

***------UPDATED SNARE (BETTER LOW END, LESS TIN-----***
Relentless_2010_ALBUMMIX-04.mp3
Dropbox:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4194300/Relentless_2010_ALBUMMIX-04.mp3

Soundclick:
SoundClick artist: Idoler - Soundclick Page for Artist: Idoler_enjoy my personal music and other productions!

Slampop

Reaction score
:lol: hahaha, thanks man!!! Yea, i think it sounds waaaay better now. im happy you liked how it "used to" sound too!!! i will say though dude, it's hard to find DFHS1 these days...i'm still looking for a new copy, cause mine is scratched up!!! NOOO!!! :scream:

I AM all about feedback, and the feedback from most was to fix the snare. i agree w/ Sora01 that it was a bit tinny...sometimes you just get too close to notice those things, and then adding a bit more low end, like Kurkkuviipale had noticed it lacked, definitely helped it sit in the mix better. THANKS GUYS!!! i feel the overall "tone" of it "fits" a bit better now, just had to tweak the peak in the high end. :)

Reaction score
Love it man. One of my favorite riffs of yours the the one halfway through the sounds right after that little volume drop dealy.

Slampop

Reaction score

Antenna

Oh God Damnit!
Reaction score
Dude I don't even know how I missed this stuff! Thanks for the heads up. First off, holy shit I thought your mixes couldn't improve much more but this shit makes lettuce look in-organic. Miles of clarity and an eternity of tonal greatness on every frequencial aspect (totally made up a new word right there!). Both songs were already solid to begin with but sound glorious! I like how theses sound alot more Fat than your other mixes, overall it kinda takes any gritiness you had before out and now its just all smooth groovin!!!

')