Quick question - BUDDA Super Drive 80 HEAD - How should I connect to my cab?

• Thread starter DI0H
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DI0H

Reaction score
Hello Folks!

Can you please give me some info?
So I just bought a BUDDA super drive 80 II Head.
The manual is not clear (and doesn't give any example of connection). Just states the obvious: "use correct impedance"; "connect it properly to the speakers" (thank you very much, budda). Couldn't find any further info about it searching the web as well.
I have a HB 212 V30's cab (pics below).
- How should I properly connect the SD80 to my speakers?
- How many cables should I use?
- Should I use both outputs?
- Should I set my cab to Stereo or mono?

Thanks in advance.

OUTPUTS:

Cq6QYV98bzsTFc7eB7jmXu71wSjzCWYHLrXsfksOf42Mzy5-T0yX_ueWeDJqq4gLzRWuc_Yjn5JRJTI=w5118-h2712

f9q1DSzuRiD70O2ArS9q7oQOAb_u-wruixe1ZXoj75Bbg-I5216n7c_N6nsmzKfGtEst6k4r7sv7t6U=w5120-h2712

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

polish_sausage

Reaction score
Your pics aren't working for me but From what I can google use 2 speaker cables, set the cab to stereo and set the amp to 16 ohms, Or use one cable set the cab to mono and the amp to 8 ohms. Being able to see the pictures would help I just looked real quick.

DI0H

Reaction score
Your pics aren't working for me but From what I can google use 2 speaker cables, set the cab to stereo and set the amp to 16 ohms, Or use one cable set the cab to mono and the amp to 8 ohms. Being able to see the pictures would help I just looked real quick.

I tested quickly with just ONE cable (hooked it from SD out 1 8ohms -------> cab set to mono, 8 8ohms). It worked, sound coming from it, but I wasn't sure if it was properly connected so I just turned it of after 2 or 3 mins. It is absurdly LOUD. I don't know how i'll manage to use it as you can't even hear the drums with the volume at 30, 40%.

Also, when turned ON, I noticed that it has some kind of engine sound inside. Does it has a cooler running or something?

you can check the pics also here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzPo8hTKcVzAdERnNERvYXZlazg

Sonically speaking, 1x cable 8 ohms mono, or 2x cables 16 ohms stereo. Is there any difference with the sound quality?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

polish_sausage

Reaction score
Some amp hum is pretty normal, are you using a speaker cable or just a regular instrument cable? Do not use an instrument cable as a speaker cable! With an amp that size you might need to attenuate if you want to push the power tubes.

DI0H

Reaction score
Speaker cable, of course. I have a lot of tube head amps (mark V, 5150, rockerverb 100 and a poweball - now the SD80, which is by far the loudest. It is ridiculous), and I'm used to work with them, but usually I just check some examples of how to connect in the manual and go from there. But this one doesn't has anything, despite to connect it properly. Also The "PARALLELED" description at the back of the amp made me more confused about how should I properly connect it.

I'm almost sure this "II" version has some coolers running inside - I can feel some air flow from it. Probably to cool down the tubes.
It sounds just like a desktop PC working.

About the sound, 1x cable 8 ohms cab set to mono, or 2x cables 16 ohms cab set to stereo. Will I have any difference with the sound quality?

Last edited:

polish_sausage

Reaction score
Hmm interesting, I dunno seems like you got everything handled. Usually the stereo is used for modulation. Think a jazz chorus. Get some sort of modulation pedal some reverb and delay and sound big!

DI0H

Reaction score
Hmm interesting, I dunno seems like you got everything handled. Usually the stereo is used for modulation. Think a jazz chorus. Get some sort of modulation pedal some reverb and delay and sound big!

Thank you very much, brother.

Just to make it clear. Are you 100% sure that using - 1x cable 8 ohms cab set to mono, or 2x cables 16 ohms cab set to stereo - is the proper way to hook it up?

From that, maybe "2x cables 16 ohms cab set to stereo" should be the best and most complete way to use it, right?

Latest posts

')