Quick Question on converting scale shapes.

• Thread starter Dark Tranquillity
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Tranquillity

Gothenburg Guitarist
Reaction score
Ok When converting say an ionian mode in any key, since you have the low b string would you match that up with the scale line on the top b string? Thanks for the help in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zak

Reaction score
Dark Tranquillity said:
Ok When converting say an ionian mode in any key, since you have the low b string would you match that up with the scale line on the top b string? Thanks for the help in advance.

I really do hope you just got into scales and modes on the guitar like a day ago.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
zak said:
I really do hope you just got into scales and modes on the guitar like a day ago.

Not to be mean, but definitely agreed.

If you haven't noticed yet, on all scales, the notes on the high E and the low E are the same. The notes on the high B and low B are the same. Don't think of them as strings. Think of them as notes. If the string is tuned to B, no matter what gauge or octave, the notes will be on the exact same frets.

If I tune every string to B, then the A minor pentatonic scale's notes will all be on the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 8th, 10th, 13th, etc. frets for every single string.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Although I'm not quite sure what you're asking, I can tell you that you can use the Low B just like any other string. Scales and modes are never limited to just 6-strings.

And to Zak and Naren, take it easy. It may be a noob-ish question (and in the wrong section of the forum, I may add), but no question is a bad question. How can you learn if you don't ask?

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
You guys should go easy on him, theory can be overwhelming for some and perhaps he just wants to be sure...I know that if I was asking theory questions and you guys answered like that I'd probably get turned off from asking anymore, or even trying to learn.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Shannon said:
And to Zak and Naren, take it easy. It may be a noob-ish question (and in the wrong section of the forum, I may add), but no question is a bad question. How can you learn if you don't ask?

Sorry. Like I said, I wasn't trying to be mean. I agree with everything you're saying. No question is a bad question and noobs should ask so that they can know. The reason I agreed with Zak was because the question was very very basic theory whereas knowing the modes is not particularly basic theory (I know a jazz guitarist who has been playing for 40 years and is very good who doesn't have all the modes memorized 'n' stuff). So, the question didn't seem to mesh with me.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Copy the pattern from your high B string and put it on you low B string. thats the easiest way to do it.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Naren said:
Sorry. Like I said, I wasn't trying to be mean. I agree with everything you're saying. No question is a bad question and noobs should ask so that they can know. The reason I agreed with Zak was because the question was very very basic theory whereas knowing the modes is not particularly basic theory (I know a jazz guitarist who has been playing for 40 years and is very good who doesn't have all the modes memorized 'n' stuff). So, the question didn't seem to mesh with me.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I also agree that memorizing all the scales and modes is a bit over the top. :lol:

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dark Tranquillity said:
7 string guitars: None

Ummm. The reason for the question, again? If you don't have a low B, why would it matter?

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Ken Burtch said:
Ummm. The reason for the question, again? If you don't have a low B, why would it matter?

Maybe he's just asking questions BEFORE he takes the leap into SevenStringLand. Nothing wrong with getting a little prepared.

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Shannon said:
Maybe he's just asking questions BEFORE he takes the leap into SevenStringLand. Nothing wrong with getting a little prepared.

:noplease:

Show of hands, which one applies to each of you:

A: I did all my theoretical preparation before I bought a 7.
B: I saw one, loved it, bought it, and worried about the theoretical implications later.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB :hbang:

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Ken Burtch said:
:noplease:

Show of hands, which one applies to each of you:

A: I did all my theoretical preparation before I bought a 7.
B: I saw one, loved it, bought it, and worried about the theoretical implications later.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB :hbang:

Jeez, Ken. I'm in the "B" category, but it doesn't mean everyone is. Understandably, some guitarists are curious but apprehensive at the same time. I think they fall into the "Why do I need 7, I can barely play 6" category.

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I was only kidding. You're right, some want to know more before they jump in. I suppose I should look more before I jump... lol

Probably won't, though. :p

I think most people who are apprehensive about it are more concerned with the extra width of the neck than anything else. Who knows.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Actually, I'm an A - the symmetry of it began to appeal to me, and eventually the fact there was no "middle" string on my RG520 began to bug me, lol.

Course the fact it looked badass helped too, lol.

Dark Tranquillity

Gothenburg Guitarist
Reaction score
I typed that like in 5 secends, what I meant to say was, I know it would be the same notes, just lower Octave(s) than on the 2 string, I meant doing an ionian(maj scale) on the third fret starting on that low B, On the D rather, would that still be in the key of g major (since that's where you would start it on a six string on the G, to form a G maj scale) Since I would be playing a 3 note triplet... D, E, and F#, would that still be counted as G major? Or D maj? It seems to me it would still be counted as G major since the only the sharpened is the F. Sorry about the confusion and the misplacement of this posting on this board. It's hard for me to convey something in a one sentence. V_V;;

')