Quick string gauge question

• Thread starter MajorJohnson931
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MajorJohnson931

Reaction score
i've read that the loomis' stock string gauge is 10-56, is this correct?
i'd like the top strings to have a little bit less tension and the bottom ones a little bit more, so i was thinking about doing a set that goes something like this:

.09 - .11 - .16 - .28 - .38 - .49 - .60

i realize this is pretty much combining three strings from a lite set and three from a medium set, plus a .60. i noticed there aren't any sets sold already that are like this, so is that for a reason? could there possibly be uneven tension that could warp the neck or something of that sort?:scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
jeff loomis uses 10-52 + 70, tuned to Bb w/a 26.5" scale guitar.

Just guessing but i'm assuming that'd be
10-13-17-26-36-52-70

probably no sets sold like what you suggested because it's kinda odd in that all over the place as far as tension goes.

I don't know about that warping a neck, but there are others that use a lot heavier gauge than that. :2c:

MajorJohnson931

Reaction score
jeff loomis uses 10-52 + 70, tuned to Bb.

10-13-17-26-36-52-70

probably no sets sold like what you suggested because it's kinda odd in that all over the place as far as tension goes.

I don't know about that warping a neck, but there are others that use a lot heavier gauge than that. :2c:

i forgot to mention that i'd be buying them individually off d'addarios site, but thanks for the input :hbang:

MajorJohnson931

Reaction score

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
jeff loomis uses 10-52 + 70, tuned to Bb w/a 26.5" scale guitar.

10-13-17-26-36-52-70

I try to stay out of these threads but cant help it sometimes. Typically 10-52 is 10 13 17 30 42 52 and is used for standard d. And a 70 for B on a 26.5"? Thats just ridiculous. he has good tone though.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I dont understand why people would use a 10-52 set for D standard. Its so unbalanced. The tension goes up down up up down down-even-more. It's like the Konami code practically. I think a more sensible set for D standard starting with a .010 would be 10-48, or just 10-46 since that's more readily available.

I don't always practice what I preach out of tonal necessity, but balanced tension sets can produce some really wonderful results. It lets you pick each string exactly the same, effortless and consistent. Chords ring out and vibrate evenly, etc. Fun stuff.

MajorJohnson931

Reaction score
I dont understand why people would use a 10-52 set for D standard. Its so unbalanced. The tension goes up down up up down down-even-more. It's like the Konami code practically. I think a more sensible set for D standard starting with a .010 would be 10-48, or just 10-46 since that's more readily available.

I don't always practice what I preach out of tonal necessity, but balanced tension sets can produce some really wonderful results. It lets you pick each string exactly the same, effortless and consistent. Chords ring out and vibrate evenly, etc. Fun stuff.

is this why they don't make sets like the one i described in my original post? i'd just like to be able to bend the higher strings easier and have a tighter low end, so there a better way to achieve that?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
is this why they don't make sets like the one i described in my original post? i'd just like to be able to bend the higher strings easier and have a tighter low end, so there a better way to achieve that?

Try something like 9-12-16-26-36-48-64. You can get custom gauges on a lot of places like Juststrings.com. With that set, the top 3 unwounds are balanced, and then the bottom 4 are tighter but also balanced. There are no rules though, you can do whatever :)

MajorJohnson931

Reaction score
Try something like 9-12-16-26-36-48-64. You can get custom gauges on a lot of places like Juststrings.com. With that set, the top 3 unwounds are balanced, and then the bottom 4 are tighter but also balanced. There are no rules though, you can do whatever :)

thanks man i'm definetely gonna check it out

Latest posts

')