Quiet playing/recording

• Thread starter theunforgiven246
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

which one

• pod xt

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • gt2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • tri ac

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • roctron stuff

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • other

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
actually, i was just thinking.. if all it is, is a volume knob.. i wonder what the schematics are for it? It can't be THAT hard to solder together and throw inside a box. i could probably save a few $ that way...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
^
That's all it looks like: a volume knob.

I'm wondering about having an other volume thing than this (pedal or else) in the fx loop would do the same.

- From the "Amps with a built-in attenuator" thread :

In my CAA OD100 I just put a patch cord from send to return in the effects loop and use the effects loop level control as a master volume. Works great on that amp.

Anybody TRIED THIS?

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Alright, so i went to radio shack, grabbed a small inline volume control and a cable, went back home, and plugged it into my effects loops. Now, i dunno how other amps work, but on a 5150 you can crank the pre and have the post really low. thats how i usually have mine set anyway. so basically, all it did was act as a tone knob, and pull the highs off of the amp in the effects loop. So i popped the back off my amp, and put it between the amp and the speaker cabinet. Cranked the post up to 5, and then the line volume melted :lol: Plugged my 5150 back in directly to the speakers, turned it down to 1 and it sounded the same, so moral of the story is:
If you have a 5150, it will be a tone control.

I'm taking the line to a different radio shack and telling them i realized i had one already;D

Edit:
Time to save up for a power brake :lol:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Update: Got my 8$ back and bought a milkshake at dairy queen.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
GIJoe_Green_Knowing-T.jpg

theunforgiven246

BEHOLD KLUMPAMUS PRIME!
Reaction score
GO JOE! by the way i'm already in the apartment. its nice. i still wish i could play and record with something better than a peavey rage shit amp.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
well, like i said, once i get a job over where im moving, i'm gonna save for a power brake.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
on a 5150 you can crank the pre and have the post really low.

Actually, the preamp gain knob is just the gain control, post gain = master volume. There's no seperate preamp volume control on the amp.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Haha seriously - those first two knobs next to the input jacks are gain controls, not channel volumes.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, the preamp gain knob is just the gain control, post gain = master volume. There's no seperate preamp volume control on the amp.

Actually, since there are separate post gain knobs for each channel, these are the channel volumes. There is no master volume control.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
No master in that sense, yes, but it is a master volume amp. Whenever an amp has seperate volume (gain) controls for the preamp and poweramp, it's a MV amp.

What I meant with the pre gain is that it doesn't make it louder by turning it up, just more saturated. On a Mesa, you've got gain and master for every channel, and then an overall volume control.

Briggs

7-string noob
Reaction score
honestly, go for a sansamp...I've tried most of the digital modelers and plugins. They sound great at first, but after a while they get tiring and stale sounding due to the static/canned nature of digital chips and program code.

ref: guitar rig 1/2, izotope trash, line6 modeling amps, roland/boss cosm, a mess of freeware plugins.

')