R.I.P.

• Thread starter Blind Theory
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blind Theory

Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Horrible wreck, horrible result. I didn't know him but I rather liked what I'd seen of him on TV. It's days like these that I'm somewhat glad to have abandoned the idea of a career as a racing driver.

RIP Dan

Korngod

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
Contributor
Reaction score
I hear the wreck happened pretty early on in the race and I would have hated to be one of the guys who missed that crash and had to finish the race possibly knowing what had happened or at least knew it wasn't going to be good.

Blind Theory

Reaction score
I hear the wreck happened pretty early on in the race and I would have hated to be one of the guys who missed that crash and had to finish the race possibly knowing what had happened or at least knew it wasn't going to be good.

It happened on lap 11 or 12. The race was called off once the news came in and they did 5 tribute laps around the track for him. It is a sad day for racing. Losing a driver in any form is horrible news.

Spence

Reaction score
I am unable to really follow Indycar as i live in Scotland, but when i heard about this when i woke up i was still really sad that he had passed away especially with all the safety advances in motor racing

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Read in USA Today that the drivers were part of the decision to cancel the race.

The last time someone died in an IndyCar race was during a warmup lap, and they postponed the race a couple hours. Dan Wheldon ended up winning that race.

RIP Dan. :(

pink freud

Reaction score
From what I've heard the setup they had was a bit irresponsible. $5 million jackpot for any driver who started in the back and won, and they were trying to get non-Indy drivers to go for it. This stinks of organizers lacking respect for those actually on the track in favor of pure spectacle.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I just watched the crash footage, so sad.

RIP. :(

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
This is why I'd rather race in a Nascar Race car because at least I'd have a better chance making it out alive. Here's video proof.

This is a crazier one

Blind Theory

Reaction score
From what I've heard the setup they had was a bit irresponsible. $5 million jackpot for any driver who started in the back and won, and they were trying to get non-Indy drivers to go for it. This stinks of organizers lacking respect for those actually on the track in favor of pure spectacle.

In all fairness, Dan Wheldon wasn't exactly what you'd call a rookie or non-Indy car driver. And the jackpot wasn't for non-Indy car drivers. It was for non-Indy car regulars. The tests these guys have to go through to even make it to race day are incredible. So even if they hadn't raced a whole lot for a while or whatever the case may be, none of those drivers where novices. The real problem is there where too many cars on a track that wasn't intended for Indy cars.

niffnoff

Just another SunBro
Reaction score
Never watched indie cars in my life, similar to our Forumla 1 right?

Anyways, sad to lose another racer :( Saw it on Sky Sports News yesterday, looks like it effected the entire racing world.

RIP Dan Wheldon

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
its a shame, but you can only expect bad wrecks to happen so often when you're doing those speeds
people suck driving between 0-60

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Not a racing fan personally but it's always sad when someone passes, especially in such a way.

RIP

Blind Theory

Reaction score
I just figured I would revive this thread instead of make an entirely new one. This mornings Moto GP race claimed the life of Marco Simoncelli. Ninja Blogger,SEO Tips ,Learn Blogging: MotoGP 2011 Tragedy at The Sepang Circuit Malaysia
The article itself is hard to read because it is poorly translated but the video of the crash is on there. And on top of that an off road racer, Rick Huseman, was killed in a plane crash a few days ago as well. The past week or so has been a bad week for racing.

')