Ra Guitarist Ben Carroll Set to Release New Solo Album

• Thread starter ben
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ben

Forum MVP
Reaction score
My name is Ben Carroll. I am the guitarist for alternative prog rock band Ra (Universal/SMR.) I am gearing up for the launch of my first full length instrumental solo record “A Dream Between Two Fires” on June 9, 2009! I am taking pre-orders right now and with each pre-order comes with a free download of my 2004 EP “Ben's Tasty Tunes.”

Want to hear some sick guitar playing from an up and coming instrumental artist? Head on over to A Dream Between Two Fires :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
Cool title, and it's released on my birthday. I'll have to check it out.

Edit: quite good so far, just listened to the second track. Sorta has a John 5 sorta vibe. I like

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
Hi Ben!! I bought Ra's Duality a couple of years ago after finding the link to your site on here. I'll be checking out your instrumental album for sure :D

While you're here, Ive just remembered there was apparently a glitch on the pressed CDs, which is why there's skipping on Fallen Angels. Is there anywhere I can get hold of a new version without the skipping? Thanks :)

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Nice, just checked out the myspace, got some good tunes up there. I will definitely be picking this one up when it hits stores!

ben

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Is there anywhere I can get hold of a new version without the skipping? Thanks :)
That record is still through Universal/Republic...the first 2 both are. We have not been with them since duality. Although we are still distributed through Universal's distribution company, we really don't have anything to do with Republic anymore...I have the same version with the skip...haha.

ben

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've been and ESP endorsed artist for 8 years & I've got a good handful of 6 & 7 string ESP's... Everyone at ESP has always been great to me and I love the guitars. I've actually been playing 7 string guitars since I was 14 and I discovered Vai's "Passion and Warfare." But really, check out the tracks...I would really love to hear what you think. Honestly. A Dream Between Two Fires
I look forward to any comments!

ben

Forum MVP
Reaction score

Edit: quite good so far, just listened to the second track. Sorta has a John 5 sorta vibe. I like

John 5 huh? To be honest, I'm not really familiar with his solo stuff, except the fact that I know he is a Shrapnel artist and he's got mad chops. I did meet him once when Ra did a show with Rob Zombie...he was Rob's guitarist at the time. I remember his girlfriend was so hot I think I almost passed out.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
LOL. I might buy this once I get to my personal computer.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
This is weird, I just saw the interview on the main page and though, hmm I should check Ra out never listened before.

And then theres a new thread lol Just checked your myspace, niiiice stuff man.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome! Bout time. I remember hearing a bunch of instrumental demos you posted up a while back. Way more my thing than Ra was. I've been hoping you'd put something instrumental out \m/

ben

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Awesome! Bout time. I remember hearing a bunch of instrumental demos you posted up a while back. Way more my thing than Ra was. I've been hoping you'd put something instrumental out \m/

Well I'm finally getting the instrumental record out...it only took me 3 years..haha.

ben

Forum MVP
Reaction score

I checked out John 5's music on his myspace page. good shit! I am digging it, I may have to pick up some of his solo records.

Shaman

Reaction score
Sounds great, I really like your phrasing!

What gear did you end up using when tracking the album?

ben

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Sounds great, I really like your phrasing!

What gear did you end up using when tracking the album?

I tracked the whole record on 2 ESP guitars, my Steph Carpenter 7 string and H-301 6 string.
The whole record was recorded through a small crate 1x12...haha. I got to idea for using a small am for the record from Andy Johns, he mixed Ra's "Raw" (and a lot of records that are way more well known than that one.) Andy did Satriani's "Extremist" album and I heard that Joe used small amps for a lot of that record...so I started experimenting. thought it sounded cool...plus my studio isn't exactly big, so the small amp scenario was a much better idea than my mesa stack. I mic'd with just a 57 and ran the signal through a Grace Design Model 101 power amp and boosted the fuck out of the signal to make it super toasty into a MOTU.
For outboard guitar FX I used a BOSS GT-6 and a GT-8 (I switched to the GT-8 after my GT-6 died from years of touring.)
I recorded everything in Nuendo.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
That song "Dropping" that you have up is awesome, I am definitely hooked on that! Is that one of the tunes on the new album?

ben

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Finally have the finished artwork...here is the cover!

l_3dd239e75a7948369b96f52aa2ddfed5.jpg

')