Rack help

• Thread starter Cameron
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

Reaction score
I got a rack setup a few months ago, and all i have so far is a power supply and a BBE 482 maximizer. I have two slots left, and no idea what to get other than a tuner or a decimator. I'm very ignorant about guitar equipment so I need to know whats good and what isn't. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
Depends what sounds you want it for. If you want effects then you cant really go wrong with a G-Major, but of course it all depends on what other gear/amps you're using and what tones you require from your rig; anything specific you were after? :)

Cameron

Reaction score
Well I mostly want something like a maximizer that will just make my tone better. I already have a BBE but I'm wondering if there was more I could do. If not, I just want something useful like a tuner or a decimator, and I need to know what the best tuner/noise supressors are.

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
Korg make awesome rack tuners, and I can recommend the rackmounted HUSH noise suppressor. But the decimator is great too, see if you can try them both.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Lose the BBE, get a G-Major (it has EQ, which is all the BBE is).

And as far as tuners, a Korg will get the job done, a Peterson will make the Korg look like a piece of trash.

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
From what Ive found it seems peterson only do strobe tuners, whereas korg DTR tuners do strobe, cents and hertz...?

trig

Reaction score
dont forget that the g-major has a built-in tuner (a bit crappy, but gets the job done more or less :p) in addition to the effects, noise gate, eq and relays etc.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
From what Ive found it seems peterson only do strobe tuners, whereas korg DTR tuners do strobe, cents and hertz...?

Yes, Peterson only does strobe. The Korgs are accurate to +- 1 cent. The Petersons are accurate to +- 0.1, and the display is more accurate, as well. However, I'd put one on the floor in front of you - it's much easier to tune without turning your back to the audience, IMO...

Cameron

Reaction score
Alright thanks guys. I think I'll get a G-major because those Korg tuners are expensive and I would rather put more money into an EQ anyway, especially if it has a tuner built in. Thanks again.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, the G-Major should be good. If you want a tuner, you're really better off with a pedal tuner. For some reason, rack tuners are way more expensive than they should be. A Peterson StroboStomp will kick the crap out of a rack mounted Korg tuner for a lot less money.

Lose the BBE, get a G-Major (it has EQ, which is all the BBE is).

False.

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
also, just throwin this out there. Just because there are spaces left, doesn't mean you need to fill them. If you are using tube gear they need space to "breathe" or else you could have an over heating issue.

Zacplays

is Ginormous.
Reaction score
HEY CAM!

Im selling my korg dtr-2000 and my whole rack. Im switching so its just agile 727-> Chromatic pedal tuner-> Noise Suppressor-> Cobra-> Vader 412. You and bill do what you want setup wise. You just definitely need a noise suppressor.

Cameron

Reaction score
I agree that rack tuners are way too expensive, and even if I did buy one it would be the last thing to get.

And Crucified, I don't want to purposely fill all the spaces (I like having the extra space in there anyway to put shit in) I just wanted to know the best/most useful thing I could get in addition to or instead of what I have now, but thanks anyway.

And Tom, are you saying I should keep the BBE AND get a G-major? I know the G-major has a ton of effects, but I'll never use flange or delay or anything like that, I just want a good solid maximizer.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
The BBE and G-Major are completely different units with completely different purposes. The G-Major is a really neat effects unit, but if you don't need effects, it doesn't make much sense to get an effects unit. You may as well just get a rack EQ if that's all you're going to do with it. If you like what the Sonic Maximizer is doing for you, I see no reason to get rid of it.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
And Tom, are you saying I should keep the BBE AND get a G-major? I know the G-major has a ton of effects, but I'll never use flange or delay or anything like that, I just want a good solid maximizer.

The Sonic Maximizer is a decent band aid for cheap gear, it really is detrimental to tube amps however. If you have a 5150 you have no need for one I assure you. If you find your 5150 isn't cutting it, there's other things to be addressed. All those guys who achieve godly tone from their 5150s get them from using a boost in front of the amp, guitars with good pickups, good cabs, proper tubes including the phase inverter, etc - not maximizers.

I know it may sound like an improvement at first because our brains perceive more presence and bass as better tone at first, but over time you'll realize the Maximizer is really squashing your tone and dynamics.

The G-Major is a great investment, you get a built-in tuner, a noise-gate which all high-gain tube amps need, great sounding reverbs/delays (which most lead guitarists rely on), EQ, solo boost, chorus, anything. For the price it's just a great unit to have.

:2c:

Just my opinion, sorry if I've offended any Sonic Maximizer lovers.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
^ There are some of you in every BBE thread :fawk: :lol:

It really does nothing to squash any dynamics, though it is a detriment to your sound if you overuse those knobs. Subtlety is key. A good rig definitely will not need one of these. There's no reason not to want to improve your already kickin' tone, though, right? A lot of pros use these to great effect, tube amps and all. I think they do tend to work better with some rigs than others, though. I seem to remember something about the older Krank heads not working too well with them, for example.

Nick is right about other equipment being more important, though. If you don't have a good OD in front of that 5150, get one.

Cameron

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I do like the little kick the maximizer gives, but It's clearly not needed as much as I thought, and I'm in need of a good cab anyway so I'll sell the rack and put money towards a Vader or something.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Cameron

Reaction score
Keep the BBE, get a G-Major and a Decimator. Also, you could get a Furman if another space opens up.

Dude, don't listen to the anti-BBE propaganda. Most of the bashing I see is rumor and hearsay from people that don't even own one. People will tell you that "it just adds presence" or "it's just an EQ" or "it's just a scoop" or blah, blah, blah. Use your own ears and decide what sounds better yourself.

Yeah, I understand, but I really do need a better cab and the maximizer doesn't do as much as I would want it to, which is why I made this thread, too see what there is to get. If the only thing to get is a G-major, which basically only has effects I'll never use, I don't need a rack right now.

')