Rack mount setup...

• Thread starter oddchihuahua
  • Start date
  • Tags
    noob.
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oddchihuahua

Reaction score
For the longest time I have been rolling (live and recorded) with only a Crate 120 watt amp and a Boss noise gate pedal... I recently took a new job (and a hefty pay increase) and I'm looking to upgrade my setup to a rack mount setup. I have read reviews both on and off this forum on gear, but I cannot make up my mind. Of course I would like an Axe FX II in the setup but the cash may or may not be there for it. what would you recommend as an alternate? As I said, this is my first venture into the rack mount world, so I literally have NO where to even really start from.

I am highly considering a Vader 4x12 unless there is a good reason to avoid them, otherwise I am in the wind...

If this post is in the wrong sub forum I apologize, this is my first time finding this site. If I can be directed better, by all means!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
My affordable dream setup would be a POD HD Pro into the power section of a Carvin V3m. The V3ms are great amps on their own and are in the same range as other tube power amps if not cheaper. The V3m is rack mountable and this setup would be under 2 grand.

As far as cabs go, I'd go with Avatar cabs. Great semi-custom cabinets at an extremely affordable price. Nothing to complain about there.

wlfers

Reaction score
Depends, are you looking for a tube rig, solid state, modeler, hybrid, etc.

Is versatility key? Things like effects, simplicity vs detailed configurable options

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Tubes? Used Mesa Triaxis, Mesa Studio Preamp, Marshall JMP-1
Solid State? Digitech GSP1101, Pod HD Pro, X3 Pro, Eleven Rack

I personally have the GSP1101 and I love it. Effects are fantastic and the tones are amazing. So versatile and you wouldn't think that it's a solid state processor.

Of course the Axe FX is more advanced but on a budget it's hard to beat.

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
If the Axe-Fx II may not fit your budget but you enjoy the sound- there's still the Ultras and Standards at nearly half the price.
However- what are your applications? Tones you enjoy, music you intend to make, styles, etc.?

If you're truly on a budget, an FRFR setup with some Alto TS115a's or TS112a's would be cheap as you could avoid a poweramp. Should also sound pretty good, as I've heard nothing but good thing about Alto's stuff.

In order to make any more recommendations- what kind of budget are you working with exactly?

As far as the Vader cabs go- some people love them, some people hate them. Their low-end is famed but many believe them to be much too dark/muddy/lacking in clarity.

raximkoron

Reaction score
Something cheap that sounds awesome is a Peavey Rockmaster into a Peavey Classic 50/50. You could throw in a Rocktron Xpression for effects, and the rack would be complete for well under $500. The EL34's in the 50/50 would help to warm up the cold-sounding Vader cab as well.

Axe FX stuff looks great to me, but at the end of the day, I just want to turn some knobs and get something that sounds great. I've had some old Digitech processors in the past, and I'd spend HOURS tweaking patches, then come back to it the next day and think they sound terrible. I spent far more time messing around with things than actually playing. I might be in the minority on that front though.

')