Rack setup - midi info - preamp/effects?

• Thread starter Diatenshi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Diatenshi

Need a Tampa Band.
Reaction score
Whats the difference between a preamp and an effects processor? Both give you your sound, do they not?

I have never used midi, but it sounds like a good think to have. I want to get the Behringer V-amp Pro rack mount, which is midi programmable, so then I just need a midi controller board and I am good to go? The V-amp is the effects and preamp?

I already have the poweramp and cab, but use just the V-amp version 1 which is on its last legs. I am trying to figure out everything I would need for my rack.

I assume a power conditioner is a must have? The V-Amp has digital tuner built in, so thats not necessary?

I have 2 Audio Centron 1600 RMA power amps in my rack, but only need one, so thats a very decent amount of space for more, I should get the V-Amp, and a power conditioner, and that should be all I need along with the midi controller?

I appreciate the help, I am used to just my combo amp and v-amp : P

Dan

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

caseynbenson

Reaction score
a power conditioner is basically a glorified power bar. A simple, one rack space unit that you can plug everything into.

They, like many decent power bars can also protect your equipment from power surges because they utilize a fuse. And power conditioners can filter out some unwanted electrical noise and the like.

re: "preamp vs Processor"
in a rack set-up the pre-amp and the (effects) processor can be completely different units. In my case for example I use a Marshall JMP-1 preamp and a TC electronic G-Major effects processor unit. The marshall creates my basic tone- whether it be clean, distorted, bright sounding, scooped mids etc. That is all the marshall does. My signal then goes to the G-major where reverbs, delays, noise gate, etc etc is added to the sound.

A V-Amp, POD and various other units are a combination of Preamp+Effects Processor. They work fine. It's just a matter of personal preference. I personally prefer to keep my preamp separate from my effects, and to use a tube-based preamp.

midi=wicked. my set-up is all run by midi, and it is mighty convenient especially when you have multiple units (such as my marshall and G-major) that can be controlled simultaneously with a kick of one button.

rock on,
casey

Diatenshi

Need a Tampa Band.
Reaction score
Thanks, I really appreciate the response.

I ended up buying the V-Amp pro rack mount and the Behringer FCB1010 midi controller, with a Furman M-8D Power Conditioner.

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I really appreciate the response.

I ended up buying the V-Amp pro rack mount and the Behringer FCB1010 midi controller, with a Furman M-8D Power Conditioner.

I hate to break it to you bro, but that series of power conditioner is NOT a power conditioner. Like said above, it's nothing more than a glorified, rackmounted power strip. The actual power conditioning starts in the PL series of units from Furman. Check their website. The PL-Plus is the average one that will give you good protection.

')