RAD -- Fast Guitars LP Kit Build

• Thread starter RestorationAD
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Another look at the nut slot and trussrod access. Very clean. You could easily run without a trussrod cover.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Checking the thickness of the top at the control cavity. As you can see no need for long shaft pots.

Weird angle but I wanted to show how much wood was left by looking into the control holes.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Plenty of room for a full size regular pot, mini push/pull, or a Bourns vintage premium.

The import 3 way switch had some space to wobble but I have full sized Switchcraft LP switch on the way the I know will fit tight.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Time to test hardware fit. Here we have a Gotoh bridge and an Economy Tailpiece from ALLPARTS.

Gotoh Metric TOM and an economy Tailpiece.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
The bushings for the Economy tailpiece are large. The holes in the body would have to be made bigger. Bushings are .475 and the holes are around .433 . While not impossible to do with a hand drill I would definitely rather use a drill press for this operation. The tailpiece does seem to line up well enough.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
The Gotoh bridge lines up perfect. At .438 the bushings fit much closer though still too tight to just pres them in. I would need to expand the hole one drill size to make them fit easy enough.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
The Gotoh bushing fit the tailpiece holes the same as the tom holes. So I would assume a Gotoh tailpiece should be fine.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Since I was testing the fit I went and grabbed some vintage metric posts I have had since the 80s to see how they fit.

All the vintage Japanese hardware fit like the Gotoh or better.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
The large bushing Tone Pros hardware fits perfect. It is drop in no drilling fit.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Needless to say we are using Tone Pros on this build. So I decided to test the Tone-Pros Klusons as well. They looked the part.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
The slanted Bone Nut from ALLPARTS needs a little trim to fit the slot. I think the LP nut would fit perfect. This is a generic martin style I had lying around. In the picture you will see it is larger than the 1/4" file from Stew Mac. Probably just cut my own from stock.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Black Metal Curved pickup rings from ALLPARTS. The fit is not ideal. If I was going to use them I would have to put a piece of sandpaper on the top and sand them to match.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Also looked at the regular plastic pickup rings as well. The back one fit better but the front still had gaps.

I do not think it is the carve causing the poor fit but the inconsistent pickup rings.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
A Metal Electrosocket Tele cup from ALLPARTS fits right in the hole for the input jack.

')