RAD -- Fast Guitars LP Kit Build

• Thread starter RestorationAD
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Why the epoxy compared to Titebond?

Habit.

I switched to West Systems a few years ago for my S9 models so I just went with it. I like that there is no extra water introduced to the build. I use some pretty sensitive exotics on the S9s and anytime I can keep water out of the equation I do.

Honestly if I had to do it again I would use titebond. There are no gaps in the tenon/mortise on this kit and the black limba is really stable so no real reason not to use titebond.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Starting with a few heavy coats of high solids sanding sealer before a grain fill followed by leveling. I like to keep the guitar level while spraying as it helps even the flow out.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Fast forward a few days and it is time to grain fill. Not my favorite thing.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Can't really see it in the photo but even the top is still a little uneven.

Leveling the back with CA and credit card. I know what you are going to ask. Why are you leveling out with CA when you already grain filled? The vintage grain fill I have is just not really good at it. I love the color though so I always use it and then if I need to have a really flat surface I will use CA on top of it. Normally I don't do super flat clear. I like the nitro to shrink and still show the grain. It makes me feel that the clear is thin and is letting the instrument breathe... yes just "voodoo" but still. For the LP I think it needs to be a mirror finish that is flat and clear... tradition maybe?

RestorationAD

Reaction score
I really don't like using the CA as sanding it can be tricky and I know the dust is bad. But it is quick and that is what respirators are for.

Still some work to do.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
After about 3 coats of clear we scuff and start the burst. I like the burst to be in the middle of the coats to add depth.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
All these parts are going to be a LP at some point.

Putting the covers on the humbuckers

Tone Pros bridge and tailpiece

Using brass inserts and socket head stainless steel screws to mount the pickups. Also I decided against vintage wire inside so here you see the switch wires.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Of course it was beautiful this weekend so I went outside to do some of the assembly.

')