RAN guitars offline. Did they close? Update: Trouble Relocating

• Thread starter chopeth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I mean, Dylan doesn't get flack, because he doesn't do shit like this.

It's the headstock. They copied the headstock from a small builder in California.
Like what? Build copies of guitars? Did he get permission from Jackson or ESP to copy their headstocks? So it is fine to copy a headstock from any guitar unless it is a small builder? Where is the line for that? How many guitars do you have to build before your headstock design is ok to be copied?

So does this make the Crusher headstock off limits to other builders?

Sogradde

Reaction score
Did they offer the headstock as a regular option or were those specifically requested by the person ordering the guitar?

Isurez

Reaction score
Did they offer the headstock as a regular option or were those specifically requested by the person ordering the guitar?
By the person. Darek openly refused to build a copy a few years ago but people were still asking about them so he started to ask for some huge sums for such guitars to get rid of such ideas. I'm not a defender of Darek. I just know it because we talked about it a long time ago.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All the whataboutism in the world isn't going to make it cool that RAN stole KL's headstock. Period. Done. That's it.

Let's move along.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Like what? Build copies of guitars? Did he get permission from Jackson or ESP to copy their headstocks? So it is fine to copy a headstock from any guitar unless it is a small builder? Where is the line for that? How many guitars do you have to build before your headstock design is ok to be copied?

So does this make the Crusher headstock off limits to other builders?

Yea, I'm not trying to like pass legislation here. Just saying, RAN got a lot of shit for copying stuff because most people will see the difference between copying a Jackson and copying some small builder's super unique headstock. And RAN got a lot of shit for producing tons of copies and not any of their own designs. Not because they're Polish.

For the most part, I had a lot of respect for RAN in the recent years, the Crusher was just a carve top superstrat, but clear attempts were made for it to be "it's own" design. I can look at just the body and declare, yup, that's a RAN. But the way they got started was shitty, and has NO BEARING on Daemoness at all. You're not going to confuse an Atlantean with anything (which was there at the start), and in terms of artistry, you're not going to confuse any of his shapes with any other builder.

And yea, I would say the Crusher headstock should have been off-limits as RAN was trying to establish their own designs. Moot point now. But not really sure anyone would copy it when they could just copy a Caparison.

All the whataboutism in the world isn't going to make it cool that RAN stole KL's headstock. Period. Done. That's it.

Let's move along.

Yea, probably better said than the big post.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score

Let's move along.
I guess that is how to end an argument you can't win?
The FACT is that just about every builder apart from the original 50s builders got their start building copies. I'm not saying RAN should or shouldn't have made copies. I am just saying some people have a very weird and arbitrary way of defining what is and isn't acceptable when making copies.
But the way they got started was shitty, and has NO BEARING on Daemoness at all. You're not going to confuse an Atlantean with anything (which was there at the start), and in terms of artistry, you're not going to confuse any of his shapes with any other builder.
dsc_5590_28232284111_o.jpg
IMG_1545-1024x683.jpg
IMG_3495.jpg

There is an Explorer and BRJ Vixen copy as well but the pics were too big to fit.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The FACT is that just about every builder apart from the original 50s builders got their start building copies. I'm not saying RAN should or shouldn't have made copies. I am just saying some people have a very weird and arbitrary way of defining what is and isn't acceptable when making copies.

View attachment 68434 View attachment 68435 View attachment 68436
There is an Explorer and BRJ Vixen copy as well but the pics were too big to fit.

Weird how RAN guitars copies came up in a RAN Guitars thread. :nuts:

Or do we have to prefix everything with a list of everybody else who might or might not have committed a "no no"?

I don't think anything has been overly arbitrary, it's just not going in your favor so it's easier to ignore the detailed examples and explanations and still hammer home the same false equivalency.

No one care who copies Gibson or Fender or Jackson in contemporary times. What people do care about is when small builders are treated the same way.

But, it's not like this is some official shit. We're just nobodies bullshitting about guitars. Relax.

Again: move on. No one's minds are changing here. RAN is done. It's all moot.

narad

Reaction score

You can just start a thread specific to that purpose, and I'll just follow you there. Maybe these posts can be moved?

But yea, Daemoness didn't get it's start making mindless copies. Original headstock from day 1. Moved into his own full body designs after his first 3-4 guitars. He does do the usual bodies that everyone copies, but even those are heavily Daemonized. And he doesn't copy things from contemporary builders in the business without asking. You want to say copies are copies, but there are just glaringly obvious differences between how RAN operated and how Dylan operates. It's not that people are judging the brands -- who behave identically -- unfairly. They approach company ethics in vastly different ways. That's the last I'll say about it here.

Kleks

Reaction score
I do not understand where this discussion is going.

Very fair point, this thread turned into a spam discussion, but these are all long term members with 10k posts, so that's fine.

NOT.

Ran Guitars will not build a guitar anymore.

That's what I said couple of days ago, but apparently it was heavily suspicious cause I had a Ran avatar and I'm new to forum.

Just my 5 cents - I absolutely love my Ran guitar and finding out they're gone and dead as a company really brought me down.

I'm a Pole so it took me quite a while to save money for my Invader, but finally I received it last year and it's the most perfectly built and finished guitar I have ever had, truly cherish this one.
Reading "they copy this, they copy that" is heavily off topic. Sorry guys, but no one cares what you think of Ran, and this thread is not about that at all.

narad

Reaction score
Very fair point, this thread turned into a spam discussion, but these are all long term members with 10k posts, so that's fine.

NOT.

Wayne's World's just making it to Poland now?

narad

Reaction score
Great to see people, luthiers and/or companies helping each other out!

And it may be just me, but I can't wrap my head around if narad is trying to be funny or just trying to pick a fight. :shrug:

I will point out some facts:

1) I did not bring up the discussion about copying.

2) In that discussion, I am simply pointing out that RAN has a history throughout their career of copying design ideas that are synonymous with other small builders, and that this is something other small builders often refuse to do, or at least ask permission for.

3) I don't like then being moderated to not have this conversation by someone who just joined the forum last week and is not OP, in a similarly snooty manner. I didn't start the fire, I'm just joining it.

But anyway, I'm out. Always wind up posting a lot, maybe too much, when about to pull the trigger on new gear and all my browser tabs are SSO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')