RAN Guitars Post yours!

• Thread starter swollenpickle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chopeth

Reaction score
May I ask how long you were waiting? Because I'm drifting into a nightmare scenario with RAN, been patiently waiting since 2013 for a custom order (yes, 2013 I paid 50% deposit), emailed Dariusz last week to try & pin him down to any kind of deadline (I was originally quoted 15-18 months from deposit!), & he's now not responding to my email.

I don't want to slate RAN specifically, but I feel they've definitely dropped the ball on this one, & of course the t&c's leave you with no recourse. I imagine other luthiers have similar setups.

For anyone considering ordering from RAN, I just want to point out the reality of the terms & conditions:

1. Your deposit is non-refundable under any circumstance;
2. There is no upper limit on the build time.

It certainly seems like the standard models have a quick turnaround, perhaps at the expense of custom orders :realmad:

Apologies for the long & negative rant, but I'm kinda at a loose end as to what I can do. Any advice, ss.org?

I ordered two Rans in the last two years and a half and the second one is on its way, coming next wednesday. I must admit the second one I bought the deposit from a guy here (maybe you can do the same if you're fed up with waiting) who already shortened my period for 6 months. But anyway, first one was 9-10 months and this one 8-9 months because I couldn't make my mind about the specific specs, it could have been done in 6 months easily. I ordered not very particular specs.

The deposit is not refundable, I understand that, because they have to buy the wood, hardware and I guess they have to feed their kids before the guitar is finally done, I don't see that a weird thing.

In respect to the communication with Dariusz, it's so strange I think we speak to different people. In the first build he answered within 24h. and now, he apologized several times, he answers in 48-72h because he says they have an insane amount of work. But no answer at all? I can't figure out why.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Von Goosewing

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, after a week of waiting for an email I get a reply a few hours after posting in this thread, so it's only fair I clarify what's going on for any other readers.

Apparently I'd been emailed some queries about finishes/wiring specs, & since I didn't respond to them, my job wound up in the abandoned projects pile.

Now, I'm quite sure I didn't get any of these emails, & my email address hasn't changed, but fair enough - if RAN can't get in touch with a customer, I can understand that they have no choice but to stop work. Apparently abandoned projects are quite common, & that must be frustrating for RAN.

I'm not the sort of customer that would constantly email for progress updates, etc. so the fact I've left it for a year probably hasn't helped matters.

Dariusz now assures me that work can continue, since I have contacted him. He'll also send me some pics of the build as it stands, so I am happy at the moment. :yesway:

Thanks Chopeth for your insight, I thought my situation was odd given the amount of good rep. RAN has generally.

FourT6and2

Reaction score
What is the body wood on this one? It looks awesome!

IMG_4203_zpspld1ml8j.jpg

theicon2125

Reaction score
What is the body wood on this one? It looks awesome!

IMG_4203_zpspld1ml8j.jpg

Looks like black limba to me. I could be wrong though, I'm by no means an expert.

I feel we need to address why the body of that guitar is satin but the neck is gloss :scratch: Whoever spec'd that out seems to have an opinion completely opposite of 99% of the guitar community.

Tom 1.0

Djizz.
Reaction score
Wasn't that a guy on here?

He said they'd messed it up but he didn't mind too much.

oracles

Reaction score
Wasn't that a guy on here?

He said they'd messed it up but he didn't mind too much.

It's mine. The body wood is black limba, but yeah, they did mistakenly put gloss on the neck instead of satin. It's not a huge deal for me, it's wearing in really nicely and it doesn't impede my playing

theicon2125

Reaction score
It's mine. The body wood is black limba, but yeah, they did mistakenly put gloss on the neck instead of satin. It's not a huge deal for me, it's wearing in really nicely and it doesn't impede my playing

It's not often that you hear about mistakes like that from a well known company. Good to hear that it's working out for you.

oracles

Reaction score
It's not often that you hear about mistakes like that from a well known company. Good to hear that it's working out for you.

To their credit, they offered to fix it for free and cover shipping both ways, but it wasn't a big enough deal for me to justify the added hassle.

SqWark

Reaction score
I always received an email back within 48 hours.

Now, after I receive my Ran with several errors/omissions I am waiting a week to hear back.

p88

Reaction score
I always received an email back within 48 hours.

Now, after I receive my Ran with several errors/omissions I am waiting a week to hear back.

ah man, sorry to hear that. what issues did you experience?

SqWark

Reaction score
ah man, sorry to hear that. what issues did you experience?

I just had a couple of issues (volume knob not where I had asked for it to be and a dud volume pot that I had to have replaced), several accessory items not received and no answer as to when they would be.
I vented my frustrations and now seem to be getting the silent treatment which I do not do well with. Hope to hear back this week so I don't feel a need to air this all out on a forum. Wish these companies would realize that 'no response' is the single worst thing they could do.

Thorerges

Reaction score
Interesting that someone here had problems. Personally, RAN has been absolutely exceptional in their treatment. However, I did have to confirm with them my specs several times so they wouldn't make mistakes. Surely if you e-mail them again in a few days, Dariusz must respond.

oracles

Reaction score
I vented my frustrations and now seem to be getting the silent treatment which I do not do well with. Hope to hear back this week so I don't feel a need to air this all out on a forum. Wish these companies would realize that 'no response' is the single worst thing they could do.

I'm not trying to make excuses for them here, but I do know their response times have been slower due to increased order volume. I was getting responses typically within a 24-48 hour window, which recently has extended more towards 72-96 hours.

p88

Reaction score
I just had a couple of issues (volume knob not where I had asked for it to be and a dud volume pot that I had to have replaced), several accessory items not received and no answer as to when they would be.

did you ever get these things resolved? also, have you got pics of your ran? i remember being really impressed with the mock up...would love to see the actual thing!

')