Randall g3 plus?

• Thread starter shoot2thrill
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
for a smaller budget, imho those are great! acutally one my most favourite solidstate-tone.

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
well what is your budget because if you can get tube, your need to get it

but yes it is a pretty good sound

a boost would help but it does fairly well on its own

I_infect

Reaction score
I have the 150. I think it's built solid, has a ton of gain, but it only has the 'Randall' sound... i.e. not very versatile. If you're looking for any kind of tame overdrive this isn't your amp... it can get bassy if not dialed in right either. For the money I think it's great. It's no 6505 or Mesa but it definitely gets the job done, pretty well.

for a smaller budget, imho those are great! acutally one my most favourite solidstate-tone.
:agreed:

Speedy

Reaction score
well what is your budget because if you can get tube, your need to get it

but yes it is a pretty good sound

a boost would help but it does fairly well on its own

Just don't think "if it has tubes inside, it must be great, or atleast better than any solid state". I would take that kind of a Randall over a Peavey Valve King etc.

For solid state amps Randall RH's/RG's are great, for metal. If you want more versatility, I think Tech 21 Trademarks are also great. They tend to be more expensive, but are great! Yes, with a budget of a Tech21, you'll get a used 5150, but I think when you need versatility 5150 is not the way to go, though it nails metal quite well :)

I_infect

Reaction score
FYI it does have a 12ax7 tube preamp, I believe one gain channel is solid state and the other is the tube. All in all it's better than any modeler I've played, I had a Line 6 spider valve and returned it the same day, and that was full tube. I just could not get a sound out of it I liked.

Sippin40oz

Reaction score
FYI it does have a 12ax7 tube preamp, I believe one gain channel is solid state and the other is the tube. All in all it's better than any modeler I've played, I had a Line 6 spider valve and returned it the same day, and that was full tube. I just could not get a sound out of it I liked.

Your right that it does have a tube in it a 12at7 but its not used as a preamp tube. Its used just before the power amp stage to warm the sound up.

shoot2thrill

Matthew 16:26
Reaction score
well..i want a metal head and i can just a/b it with my peavey classic 30 for cleans. im in a metal band and im using a hardwire distortion through my clean channel for now...so yes..i love tube tone. but i want good inexpensive tight metal tone.

groph

Reaction score
I think that head would be a great choice. I tried a Randall G2, a slightly older version of what you're looking at, they look pretty much identical and probably sound really similar. It was extremely tight. It was really aggressive, sharp, and cold sounding, but not thin. It also had a ridiculous amount of low end. If you do get the G3 you'll probably want to have the bass hardly on, like 9 o clock.

I say go for it, that's the first amp I'd recommend to someone looking for a good metal tone on a budget.

Bevo

Reaction score
Great amp but stay away from the modeling version.

For a straight plug and play cheap metal amp its hard to beat!

I_infect

Reaction score
Your right that it does have a tube in it a 12at7 but its not used as a preamp tube. Its used just before the power amp stage to warm the sound up.

Did not know that! I could have sworn one of the channels were a tube preamp gain... there is a distinct sound to both gain channels, one being heavier/richer than the other, yet not a crunch/lead setup.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
RG/RH series typically features a "rock" (green) and "metal" (red) channel. I like my G2 but the preamp is rather fizzy and seems to work with higher output pickups better (so you can turn gain down and have less fizz).

tiny6996

the baritone of iowa
Reaction score
something similar to the randall g3 is a madison prophecy if u want more choices

jamesy_pwd

.James.
Reaction score
dont want to be negative here... but i have to be. im sorry, i have this amp, and i really dislike it.. i find, its alright for at home practicing in your bedroom and everything, but once you get in a band situation... it fails horribly, really unclear undefined and not enough presence, i dunno.

Van Heezey

Reaction score
something similar to the randall g3 is a madison prophecy if u want more choices

Damn man I just sold my Prophecy for a VMax. If you can find one, get the Vmax and throw some new tubes in the preamp section. You can't get a better Hybrid.

Maybe you can, but I don't feel like finding it.

AxeArchangel

Reaction score
I have this amp for about 2 months now. It's an alright amp if you want that Randall metal sound but don't take it as it will sound exactly like a tube amp coz the only single tube is in the power amp section. It has decent cleans and good high gain (not just my taste of high gain tone) that's why I'm using a Line 6 POD HD500 now. My suggestion is try one out of you can but this head can't beaten on its price range. I also suggest putting an OD pedal ito boost the amp and a noise gate it definitely gives the amp that tightness that you want if you'll be playing metal.

Note: Avoid the G3 version coz as everyone said it has this untameable bass (makes the amp like a sub woofer. LOL) make sure you get the newer one like you said the G3Plus.

steve1

Reaction score
Note: Avoid the G3 version coz as everyone said it has this untameable bass (makes the amp like a sub woofer. LOL) make sure you get the newer one like you said the G3Plus.

QFT, I bought the G3, with the bass at 0 there's still too much bass. I actually emailed Randall about it to ask about the warranty because I thought it was faulty. Its a totally unusable amp.

Latest posts

')