RANDALL RG80, RG100, Century170, which one more brutal?

• Thread starter Tapew0rm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tapew0rm

Reaction score
I'm thinking of picking up either one of these amps and I figured I'd ask you guys for your opinion and past experiences. I have a Tube Screamer and a 10 band MXR EQ that I'm willing to use with any one of these guys but is one amp better than the other? Does the Century 170 have more gain on tap than the RG100ES? Whats the difference between the Century 170 and the Century 170 MKII? So I ask you, Gods of Mayhem, which one will suffice my need for bone crushing CHUGGA CHUGGA brutality? :bowdown:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think you could really go wrong with either of those.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I've always heard claims that the Pre-1987 RG100ES's were the better sounding of all the RG heads, since they used higher quality components. I can see why, since they were still being made in the Irvine factory.

But I say wait for the new Randall RG 1503. Its going to be made pretty much like the older RG100ES, but with a more modern-sounding 3rd channel instead of a 2 channel amp with the sustain boost on CH2.

But if you can't wait, I say go for a RG100ES. They can be found cheaper then a Century and are better sounding then an RG80.

EDIT: Correction; I used an RG100XP, not the ES. From my understanding, the XP heads were probably the worst sounding ones. They had a black front panel and a rocker switch instead of a grey panel and a pull switch.

Here's a guy using a carpeted RG100ES w/ an EQ in the loop.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Oh, and here's a tip I learned from my experience with an old RG;

If you're using your amp for gigging or practicing and you can't cut through while using the sustain boost (it drops the volume by half), don't use it. Use your Tubescreamer to boost the gain instead.

Also, I'm curious, why are you interested in the classic Randalls? Why not get something like a V-max, Titan, V2, T2, or RH G3+ and get some balls-to-the-wall metal br00tz out the box?

Tapew0rm

Reaction score
Oh, and here's a tip I learned from my experience with an old RG;

If you're using your amp for gigging or practicing and you can't cut through while using the sustain boost (it drops the volume by half), don't use it. Use your Tubescreamer to boost the gain instead.

Also, I'm curious, why are you interested in the classic Randalls? Why not get something like a V-max, Titan, V2, T2, or RH G3+ and get some balls-to-the-wall metal br00tz out the box?

There is something about those old school Randalls that I like. I bought an RH G3+ and returned it immediately because a pot didn't work and the transformer was rusted to hell right out of the box. Maybe the earlier Randalls were made better? I think I can get a decent price for the amps I mentioned too.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Could always try out a T2 or V2 Archetype. Supposed to sound even better then the RH or RG. I've heard people compare it to a 5150, but tighter and less fizzy.

But if you really are set on an old Randall, try to find a RG100ES or RG100HT for under $250, a Century 170 for under $400, or a Century 200 for under $500.

Tapew0rm

Reaction score
Could always try out a T2 or V2 Archetype. Supposed to sound even better then the RH or RG. I've heard people compare it to a 5150, but tighter and less fizzy.

But if you really are set on an old Randall, try to find a RG100ES or RG100HT for under $250, a Century 170 for under $400, or a Century 200 for under $500.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Currently I play a Mesa Dual Recto. Every where I play someone's got one. Its getting to be a generic sound. There are 2 other guitarists in my band. Guess what they play? I need to switch things up a bit and maybe with a mixture of tube and SS we can get a more original sound.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I really think a V2 or T2 would be better in your case. They have VERY powerful solid state power sections (400w). And if you're patient, you can find one for under $500. :D
Against something like a Dual Recto or Peavey 6505/5150, you're gonna get buried with an RG or Century.

Tapew0rm

Reaction score
I really think a V2 or T2 would be better in your case. They have VERY powerful solid state power sections (400w). And if you're patient, you can find one for under $500. :D
Against something like a Dual Recto or Peavey 6505/5150, you're gonna get buried with an RG or Century.

That sucks. :( I did see a used Titan at GC for $399. That may be the way to go.

Latest posts

')