Randall RM100 vs Mark IV

Roon4me

Reaction score
OK so here is my deal. I have an RM100 and I play on a RG2228. I love my amp. No doubt. However I am a disabled vet so Im getting really tired of hauling around a half stack. I need a small combo so I can jam with random people and get my mojo back.
I saw a mark iv in the music store and I thought that would be sweet. Its the 1x12 combo. I think it sounds good, I play grunge and metal mixed mostly.
He wants 800 for the mark iv. I was wondering if anybody has played on the rm20 combos. I think then I could still keep playing with my modules. but the boogie is a boogie. I need advice since they are only going to hold the mesa for me till this monday right after easter. I noticed the rm20s are kinda hard to find too. Ebay here i come... maybe.
which one would you get? Mesa Boogie Mk IV or Randall rm20? thanks for everything and anything!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Mark IV for 800 is very good, and Id take that over any Randall every day of the week. Te Mark IV is however extremely heavy.

If you're gunna jam, maybe have a look at an Axe FX Standard and a powered monitor? Extremely portable, versatile, great for playing at home and recording.

I wouldn't gig one, but for what you want it sounds great. Obviously more expensive though.

I have huge respect for anyone in the forces, by the way :)

Roon4me

Reaction score
YES! thankyou that was fast! thats what Im talking about! This site is awesome!

Axe fx would be sweet but I think I can scrounge up only 800 max. There is no way for a Axe less that a grand.
Randall rm100 head alone is around 80lbs so one little mark iv I can handle. plus the option of being able to punch a drummer in the face with your volume when you need is always nice. The boogie is not midi though and the randall does metal very easily!
Would we still go for the ol' mk iv over a metal amp like that?
Then what other options would I have for my 800 bucks?

Thankyou so much for talking me through this. Obviously girlfriends are no help. Plus, I don't think they care. hehe!

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Mark 4 definitely does metal. Listen to any Lamb Of God or a lot of Dream Theater, lots of MkIV action.

If 800's your budget and you get get a Mk IV for that I'd jump at it.

They are insanely loud too haha.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Mark 4 definitely does metal. Listen to any Lamb Of God or a lot of Dream Theater, lots of MkIV action.

If 800's your budget and you get get a Mk IV for that I'd jump at it.

They are insanely loud too haha.

:agreed: the Mark series are supremely articulate and are as heavy as you want to make them. People tend to give them a bad rap because they don't know how to tweak them to get the good stuff.

Here's a hint for the Marks...run that bass control much lower than you would on any other amp.

Roon4me

Reaction score
even with the 8 string? do you think they will sound awesome with an 8 string?

Mordacain

Reaction score
even with the 8 string? do you think they will sound awesome with an 8 string?

Mark's? Of course. The Mark has a crazy low-end to begin with. You run the bass control in the pre lower to keep the signal tight and defined. The bass gets added back in the power amp via the graphic EQ. This also has the side effect of driving the output tubes harder, giving you a very pleasant clip out of them.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
I love my Randall, and there's lots of modders out there like gigmods, salvation mods, jaded faith, jeff hiligan, etc who can make pretty much anything you can come up with. With a few upgrades the MTS series is one of the best amps ever made....

That being said, if you EVER need any support with them, you're fucked. Dealing with Randall is like dealing with bag of rocks. Their parent company US Music corp has horrible management that neglects its products and users. Fingers crossed that the situation gets better though.

On the plus side, you can find RM100s going very very cheap these days. Also, there is a lot of support on the MTS forums from guys who know the amp inside and out. Even Bruce Egnater (the legend who designed it) chimes in once and a while.

Roon4me

Reaction score
I think I know how to tweak an amp and when I took my Iby to play on the mark iv, it took me a goood part of an hour just to get going. The controls are nothing less than confusing for a noob in the mesa world but I did push through! MAN THAT TONE IS CREAMY AND RICH! I do like it, though I would not say that 800 is "in my budget", boogies like that dont come around very often. thankyou guys for all the help.

Mordacain

Reaction score
I think I know how to tweak an amp and when I took my Iby to play on the mark iv, it took me a goood part of an hour just to get going. The controls are nothing less than confusing for a noob in the mesa world but I did push through! MAN THAT TONE IS CREAMY AND RICH! I do like it, though I would not say that 800 is "in my budget", boogies like that dont come around very often. thankyou guys for all the help.

A Mark IV for $800 is an incredible deal. I think I'd have to get a loan from someone if I saw one at that price near me.

Roon4me

Reaction score
yep i think i have no chioce but to get it. i will probably end up selling the randall then so... everybody i talked to about it is going nuts over the boogie. now im a jerk if i dont. thanks again!

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
Id take that over any Randall every day of the week.

I usually agree with your posts but it kind of sounds like You haven't played the RM100 if you're stacking it up as 'just any old Randall'. The RM100 isn't just another Solidstate $300 POS. I have played the MkIV and after 45 minutes I still preferred my Randall. I'm not biased...as for a while I had this weird stigma attached to the Randall for it...well...being a Randall and not a Boogie or a 5150 but it's a 100w All-tube (EL34 Pow. + 12AX7 Pre.) amplifier that is possibly the most versatile tube amp on the market.

I agree 45 minutes with the MkIV isn't really going to be enough to start liking the amp but as soon as I borrowed a cabinet for my Randall I thought it sounded fan-fucking-tastic.

When you boil it all down though, the OP needs to just go and play the two amps. I don't see the point in asking us since he can't send us his ears although I do have a clip of my Randall being played with a dry signal, no boost:

The Randall is heavier than a JCM or a 5150 (probably not a Dual Rectifier, though) and if the MkIV is significantly heavy I'd actually almost be inclined to tell you to go with the Mesa instead but if you have a car, you should be okay :lol:

$800 for a MarkIV is a good deal although I haven't checked how much the RM100 goes for on eBay.

evilsaint

Reaction score
I don't have Mark IV, but I have Randall RM100LB and Mark V amp heads.
I own 6 Randall modules, Clean Ultra, Ultra XL, Super V, Mr.Scary and Grail.

I'll take Mark IV combo over RM20 combo because Mark series give me
the picking response, tone quality and voicing that I more prefer to.
And Mark series can handle low-tuning very well.

Anyway, I still love the external bias system from Randall RM series.

Roon4me

Reaction score
they also have a g major 2 for 300 bones at the same damn store! I already have a midi foot controller so maybe I should just forget about the mark iv and get the fx unit sense I dont even have reverb on my Randall. Do we like the G major 2 or not?

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I usually agree with your posts but it kind of sounds like You haven't played the RM100 if you're stacking it up as 'just any old Randall'. The RM100 isn't just another Solidstate $300 POS. I have played the MkIV and after 45 minutes I still preferred my Randall. I'm not biased...as for a while I had this weird stigma attached to the Randall for it...well...being a Randall and not a Boogie or a 5150 but it's a 100w All-tube (EL34 Pow. + 12AX7 Pre.) amplifier that is possibly the most versatile tube amp on the market.

I agree 45 minutes with the MkIV isn't really going to be enough to start liking the amp but as soon as I borrowed a cabinet for my Randall I thought it sounded fan-fucking-tastic.

When you boil it all down though, the OP needs to just go and play the two amps. I don't see the point in asking us since he can't send us his ears although I do have a clip of my Randall being played with a dry signal, no boost:

The Randall is heavier than a JCM or a 5150 (probably not a Dual Rectifier, though) and if the MkIV is significantly heavy I'd actually almost be inclined to tell you to go with the Mesa instead but if you have a car, you should be okay :lol:

$800 for a MarkIV is a good deal although I haven't checked how much the RM100 goes for on eBay.

I've spent loads of time with the RM Series Randalls as a former Randall dealer. They just don't do anything for me. I didn't say they sounded crap or anything, I actually think a lot of people are harder on Randall than is necessary particularly given the prices they go for at the moment.

I just don't like them! I love the Mark IV, ok my post was biased but so is everyone's and the guy asked for opinions. I'd generally give a more balanced post but for the me the Mark IV's are so much better that I didn't bother.

To me, Mk4 vs RM isn't a competition lol.

PS The guy already has an RM100, he's comparing the 20 to the Mark

Roon4me

Reaction score
yep this is true. I already have a RM100. I need a practice amp that doesn't suck since my 8 string blew up my Roland. I thought it would be cool to just leave the half stack with the drums and still play the same module at my apt. on a RM20 or something. UNTIL, I saw a Mark IV for sale.:idea: Now I just think that I have geeking out on the gear more than the instrument!:nono: I have noticed that I suck compared to how long Ive been playing. I should be alot better. Im sure that geeking out on the gear is a sin all of you can relate to. This is why the Mark IV is catching my eye. Its a total work horse no nonsense amp. Im almost to frustrated with my big ass amp right now. I think I need something portable. The Randall sounds so bad ass, don't get my wrong.
I thought possibly a number of you fine gents or djents have gigged with one and could give me some input. -both of you are cool because I haven't tried the modded modules yet because im a broke ass. I only have the clean(lifeless), recto(sweet for chords), and the ultra(makes me want to keep it forever and then buy the XL). Thankyou for your wonderfully bias posts! :metal:

Roon4me

Reaction score
PS. The Boogie shows ones flaws on the guitar way more than my Randall. Way more articulate than I thought it would be! I need to clean up my act before I try to play that Boogie again. hehe!

Roon4me

Reaction score
Now... If you had to keep one or the other as a current music business/audio engineering student which one would you hang on to?
This is a big help as im too damn busy for real friends!

Latest posts