Randall Smith fired from Mesa?

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just bought a new Mesa cab that has the dreaded “KKR tone” that people are talking about. I’m thinking of taking a wood rasp to the Tolex, tearing a few holes in the grille cloth, putting a few cigarettes out on it, throwing dry, sandy dirt at it, spilling a Jack & Coke all over it, then selling it to a pawnshop and buying it back the next day. That way I can tell everyone, in my best Patrick Warburton voice, “Well, I bought it used at a pawnshop. It looked like that when I got it.” People will hear me play through it and rave about how it sounds so much better than the new ones made by Gibson in their evil Nashville Deathstar factory.

/fuckingwithyou

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
How do ‘non-compete’ clauses work with being ‘fired’ under US employment laws? In the UK as I understand things, non-compete is very very tricky to enforce, basically you have the right to earn a living with the skills you have, but having worked for a US company I know that they can be pretty ruthless.

That said, I’d have thought that if Smith sold his company he’d have a time that he had to stay on to oversee the transition and then he’d basically be expected to walk away, but with compensation for walking away as part of the sale. I’ve seen that with senior leadership at companies I’ve worked for during a buyout, X amount of time later there’s a phase out of senior leaders and a folding into the bigger structure, whilst the newly free leaders play a lot of golf with the extra time on their hands…

METÖL

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If I were Randall Smith, I would have taken the Gibson salary for some "advisor" role and just talk smart from time to time without doing much until someone figures out they can do without the occasional smart talking and send me officially into retirement. :lol:

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
What's the benefit? No matter what they say the internet circle jerk is going to go around. If he retired and they said so the same guys posting videos now will just say they're lying. At the end of the day it really is pretty much irrelevant. Dude is almost 80 how long do people think he's going to keep working?

Maybe he retired. Maybe he was pissed they're putting out the 2C+ and Recto reissues and they let him go. Maybe they decided to fix Mesas shitty switching and it pissed him off and he quit. It literally makes no difference.

As far as the public takes the message it certainly doesn’t matter. People are going to believe what they want to believe. It doesn’t honestly matter why he got fired unless Gibson were making some ridiculous demands about production that Smith didn’t agree with. We don’t know that’s what happened. But people like to speculate, and regardless it’s the end of an era of amp production. So it is newsworthy.

oracles

Reaction score
Ok, yes. But why doesn't Gibson say something? I'm no MBA, but I would think it's prudent to put out a fire as fast as you can.

It doesn't matter if one or both parties make a statement on it, it'll get picked apart by people who don't know anything about the situation that have already drawn hard lines in their mind that Gibson = bad, Randall must be bound by some sort of NDA where he can't tell the whole truth, or any number of ridiculous conspiracy theories.

People want there to be drama, and they'll create it wherever possible, especially if they can monetize it or make themselves seem more important than they are.

Only Randall and Gibson know the real truth, and I doubt we'll ever hear it, and I don't imagine it'd be the huge scandal everyone thinks/wants it to be even if we ever did.

tedtan

Reaction score
How do ‘non-compete’ clauses work with being ‘fired’ under US employment laws? In the UK as I understand things, non-compete is very very tricky to enforce, basically you have the right to earn a living with the skills you have, but having worked for a US company I know that they can be pretty ruthless.

That said, I’d have thought that if Smith sold his company he’d have a time that he had to stay on to oversee the transition and then he’d basically be expected to walk away, but with compensation for walking away as part of the sale. I’ve seen that with senior leadership at companies I’ve worked for during a buyout, X amount of time later there’s a phase out of senior leaders and a folding into the bigger structure, whilst the newly free leaders play a lot of golf with the extra time on their hands…
It varies from state to state, oddly with the more left leaning states more willing to enforce them and the more right leaning states less willing to enforce them or provide only limited enforcement. But we don’t have to choose the laws of the state we live/work in for the contracts, we can choose to have the laws of any state govern the contract with an entirely different jurisdiction (such as the one we live and work in) for any dispute resolution to take place.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
But we don’t have to choose the laws of the state we live/work in for the contracts, we can choose to have the laws of any state govern the contract with an entirely different jurisdiction (such as the one we live and work in) for any dispute resolution to take place.

So just pick a state you’ve never even visited, if you happen to like the laws that state has regarding the kind of contract you’re doing?

Latest posts

')