Randall Smith fired from Mesa?

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
So just pick a state you’ve never even visited, if you happen to like the laws that state has regarding the kind of contract you’re doing?
Yes, pretty much. Some states are far more business friendly (Delaware, Nevada) than others (California, Connecticut), so businesses tend to favor those for the choice of law provision in a contract*.

And it’s fairly common, even in international agreements. I’ve negotiated contract with clients in Germany that used the laws of England and Wales, clients in England that used Swiss laws, clients in Australia that used English law, etc. This is often done as a means of establishing a neutral “third party” choice of law rather than something favoring one party over the other.

* When it comes to labor laws, though, the labor laws of the state the employee is working in would still come into play, so there could be conflicts between the state labor laws and the choice of law used in the contract which can lead to some interesting lawsuit simply to determine which law applies.

Most are illegal nowadays as of 4 months ago:
There are lawsuits against the FTC over this (I know of at least two separate suits in Texas) and the judge has ordered an injunction preventing the FTC from enforcing the non-compete law until a final ruling, which is expected this month. But the court’s initial injunction contains wording to the effect that the FTC has overstepped its authority in making the non-compete ban, so it is expected that the ban will be overturned nationally. The Texas ruling will likely be appealed all the way to the Supreme Court, and with the current conservative sitting court, I expect the Texas ruling will be upheld, meaning that the ban will probably removed altogether, putting non-compete issues back in the hands of the various states.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
I find it wild the level of speculation that comes out of one guy possibly retiring. "Legend" or not, he's one guy. If the company hinged on a single solitary guiding figure, that doesn't speak very positively to the rest of the company. I'd rather let them speak for themselves going forward. If we suddenly see Mesa pivoting to bluetooth speakers, I'd suspect they were headed that way with or without R. Smith already.
Most small amp and guitar companies couldn’t survive the loss of the founder (Friedman, Mezzabarba, other boutique maker name du jour), but Mesa is one of the few that is large enough to survive that.

But, Gibson bought Mesa three or four years ago, so I suspect that any moves away from their standard amp line come from Gibson at this point rather than Smith (he’s likely only served as a consultant since the sale).

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well I mean they certainly do keep acting like it

I don't know, the lawsuits are the worst thing they do, and I'm not settled that they are completely in the wrong for them, just waaaaaaaaaay late and strategically stupid.

Agnesi seems to be doing a lot better than the Henry J. era at providing things that people want 🤷

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Mike Soldano sold his company but is also still "occasionally employed" by company. He even designed the new Astro amp. It is possible that Randall just wants to retire or work when he feels like it in a designer role.

somehting somthing new all-star SLO-based company.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe Smith can hit local shows to tell owners of his gear how to make it sound better :idea: charge for the opportunity

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe Smith can hit local shows to tell owners of his gear how to make it sound better :idea: charge for the opportunity

“Jesus Christ — just because the turns that far doesn’t mean you’re supposed to use it!”

Latest posts

')