Randall T2?

• Thread starter Venom Spitter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
I got mine about a week ago, 400w t2 head and RS400XC cab.
It's versatile enough for metal, cleans can go anywhere from crystal cleans to mild breakup, gain can be anywhere from classic rock to pretty extreme metal.
The 2 mid knobs are very useful for tuning in more low mids or high mids, which again serves to get different metal tones, from bright, bitey, meshuggah type tone to more growling, ballsy type tone, or razer fucking sharp dimebag tone. :lol:

FOR ME the cleans sound kinda sterile, and the distortion has a harsh characteristics to it, which is perfectly fine if you need to sound aggressive.
I havn't been able to get much warmth or vintage feel out of it, and I frankly don't care.

The amp itself can be pretty tight, but if you want the ultimate tightness, you wanna boost it, which is not so much a boost as a bass cut to me.

All in all, I think it'll serve any metal head well.

P.s. It's also way too fucking loud for home use, I can't put the master past 1/10.

Bevo

Reaction score
P.s. It's also way too fucking loud for home use, I can't put the master past 1/10.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried going through a volume pedal?
Turn the volume pedal down crank the amp up to say 3 and roll up the pedal volume to taste.
It gives a punchier tone and uses all your guitar tone just lowers the volume.

I found on most amps it gives you that kick in the guy tone at lower volume.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
If you're saying to put the volume pedal in front of the amp, then would this not be the same as rolling the volume knob down?

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
It would actually be worse, hitting a craked amp with a weak signal will likely sound like shit. (for metal anyway) People usually do the exact reverse to sound good: boost the guitar signal before the amp.
People wouldn't go to the pain of having expensive attenuators if a volume pedal could do the trick.

groph

Reaction score
I play metal. Tuned to g#.

What are the pros and cons to this head?

I've tried it's more complicated brother, the V2, and I still want one. The V2 I guess is the same circuit but with an added channel and a graphic EQ which I guess in theory makes it more versatile but in my opinion, if you can't get a good tone using the 3 EQ knobs on most amps, you're doing it wrong.

The T2 I guess is a little more aggressive sounding than the V2 due to a simpler signal path. That's saying something, too, since I could get literally any metal tone out of the V2, from clean, middy, polished modern metal sounds to old school Dying Fetus but with less hair/gain (the Ampeg VH140C heads those guys use are pretty much the beastliest solid state amps ever).

Pros
- It sounds sick

Cons
- It's tremendously powerful and therefore probably not suited at all to low volumes, and you need a cab that can handle the wattage (if you run it at 4 ohms, otherwise most cabs will be able to handle the T2 running at 280 watts which is still goddamn ridiculous) This is not necessarily a con.

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
I've owned a T2 so speaking from experience

Pros
-Cuts very well
-Mid sweep knob is great
-Its very clear, good for tech stuff
-It sounds amazing for its price

Cons
-Strange EQ curve
-Only other thing I can think of is the valve-state power amp. When you turn it up to band volumes the high end can get a bit overwhelming. You have to find a way to control that.

groph

Reaction score
I've owned a T2 so speaking from experience

Pros
-Cuts very well
-Mid sweep knob is great
-Its very clear, good for tech stuff
-It sounds amazing for its price

Cons
-Strange EQ curve
-Only other thing I can think of is the valve-state power amp. When you turn it up to band volumes the high end can get a bit overwhelming. You have to find a way to control that.

He speaks the truth, most solid states are like this. Maybe an EQ pedal or some really smooth speakers would work well. Maybe avoid V30's and T-75's and opt for something like a Classic Lead 80?

Zehailiu

Reaction score
That's what I have in my cab, but I'll need an opportunity to crank it up to reasonably loud volumes to find out if that works.
As it stands right now, I have my presence and trebles set pretty conservatively.

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
When I owned the T2 I had always kept the treble and presence at 0, although I use Bareknuckle Painkillers. The BK's have a really upper mid bite that didn't blend well with the T2's high end.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
wow, both at 0? I've been tempted to do that, but it felt wrong to me.
What guitar did you have?

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
C7 Hellraiser, which is mahogany, which is supposed to be warm...

Latest posts

')