Randall v2

• Thread starter Anton
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tuned2F

Spider Pig
Reaction score
Can't really judge an amp by a studio recorded album. Who knows what kind of "studio magic" was put in effect.

Or if the amp's they tour with are even used in the studio. Adam Jones for instance ;)

The RM100 has one, how is it dangerous? haha, It ensures your amp is not on fire within an hour... :D

They can cause excess noise. I had one in my Mark IV, took it out and it cleaned up the sound a good bit.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
The RM100 has one, how is it dangerous? haha, It ensures your amp is not on fire within an hour... :D

Yeah if you keep them maintained and clean, no problem. I mate of mine had a shitty MG and never cleaned it...now it sounds like its got pistons every time you turn it on. :lol:

groph

Reaction score
I tried out the V2 at a local store and instantly fell in love with it, I didn't get a chance to turn it up all that much, but you know the volume/headroom is in there with 400W. I could get almost any type of death metal tone out of it with the graphic EQ, for example I got the disgusting Dying Fetus super scooped tone, and my friend got really close to Daath's "The Hinderers." This was through a cheap Ibanez cab. There was a Peavey 6505 there as well, and at low volumes they sounded kind of similar... I doubt they would at a higher volume though. The V2 lacked the tube warmth and depth of course, but it was aggressive as hell and good tones are really easy to get. The controls all do something, if you know what I mean. The low end was insanely tight, you could probably tune to anything and have a great, clear tone. Enough gain for any extreme metal application. The cleans were pretty bland. Who cares. I hear the T2 is a little more thick sounding, I guess due to the reasons already mentioned in this thread, but I have no experience with it, other than the fact that Kataklysm uses the T2. Also, the cheaper Randall G series amps slay, there was an old beaten up one in a store, it was 150 watts, I think it was a G2, I'm not sure. That sounded SO pissed off. Razor tight, sharp type of distortion, could probably handle low tunings really well. If I decide against getting a tube amp, I'm getting a V2.

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
V2 through a Mode Four cab (Sholtz' rig on here) was actually really versatile too, we got some nice crunchy death metal sounds out of it, but it was excellent for the kind of iced earth sound as well

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I tried out the V2 at a local store and instantly fell in love with it, I didn't get a chance to turn it up all that much, but you know the volume/headroom is in there with 400W. I could get almost any type of death metal tone out of it with the graphic EQ, for example I got the disgusting Dying Fetus super scooped tone, and my friend got really close to Daath's "The Hinderers." This was through a cheap Ibanez cab. There was a Peavey 6505 there as well, and at low volumes they sounded kind of similar... I doubt they would at a higher volume though. The V2 lacked the tube warmth and depth of course, but it was aggressive as hell and good tones are really easy to get. The controls all do something, if you know what I mean. The low end was insanely tight, you could probably tune to anything and have a great, clear tone. Enough gain for any extreme metal application. The cleans were pretty bland. Who cares. I hear the T2 is a little more thick sounding, I guess due to the reasons already mentioned in this thread, but I have no experience with it, other than the fact that Kataklysm uses the T2. Also, the cheaper Randall G series amps slay, there was an old beaten up one in a store, it was 150 watts, I think it was a G2, I'm not sure. That sounded SO pissed off. Razor tight, sharp type of distortion, could probably handle low tunings really well. If I decide against getting a tube amp, I'm getting a V2.

Yeah dude, totally correct :)

With regards to tunings, im in drop G# with some nasty thick strings to keep the tension up, and its still got a considerably sharp chug to it, very good. Also true about the controls. They do a whole lot, and imo, there is nothing worse than playing an amp where turning the knobs from 1 to 6 does absolutely fuck all...

Anton

Death Squad
Reaction score
I'm thinking that the T2 will be better for me since I'm looking for a chunky kind of sound,Think fat chunky...I'm the only guitarist in my band so I need something that will give a heavy tone but maintain clear ...
I think it's this kind of tone I'm looking for(like the beginning) only with some minor changes that'll be better with our materials,Now I know that the use different amps but I need something similar not exactly the same

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
One thing to be careful of though dude, is that the T2 only has 2 channels, and a shared EQ for both channels... So if you're after something versatile im not so sure it will cut it.

Maybe try out a V2 with a tubescreamer in front of the amp? I havent tried it myself, but i hear it does wonders for the sound...

After watching that video: The V2 will get you damn close to that kind of sound, and give you a bit more versatility to boot. The EQ is handy as for getting a more saturated sound like that or Fear Factory's kind of tone, and without it on, you get closer to say Arch Enemy's tone :)

Anton

Death Squad
Reaction score
This amp thing is much more complicated then I thought....The biggest problem is that I cant hear them all since I live in a very small country So all of those amps are only by special order...
I need only one dist sound,And it's kinda slipknot\chimera\nevermore mix with slipknot filling 60% of the sound...so that's the main purpose get a very similar sound to this slipknot thing....and I cant find an amp(for a reasnble price) that can do that...

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe try and find a VHT Sig:X? I know Slipknot mainly use VHT for their albums, and the Sig:X is pretty cheap. If you ask Zimbloth on here im sure he could hook you up with a cheapish one, or try and source you a second hand one?

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Zimbloth is a dealer on here :) Look him up in the Members list, hes a dealer for VHT, Orange, Diezel, Framus i think?

Either way, he gives good advice :)

')