RANDALL: What's the Best?

• Thread starter The Breakdown
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Breakdown

Sean What I Adore
Reaction score
Out of all the amp heads, what do you think is the best and why.

I'm in no need for anything REALLY versatile as I want something just rediculous and raunchy. Loads of sustsain.

I've heard they sound really well, and I've recently been presented with a great opportunity, but wanted to see what everyone thought and what experience you had with them.

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
The XL series (VMAX, V2, V2 Ninja, V2 COW, and T2) are fucking fantastic IMO. I use the VMAX, which was basically the flagship model for the series, and it kicks so much ass. Its real heavy, has some great sounds, it is versatile, but if you have no need for it, but want something ballsy, look into the T2. Its huge, seriously fucking huge.

The main difference between all the "V's" and the T2, is that the T2 doenst have a 6 band EQ, and also has a shared EQ, but because of the lack of knobs etc.. in the loop i believe it sounds much more pure. I havent heard one in a while, personaly i prefer the V2 as it has the in built EQ (which is a godsend). Give them a crack, theyre cheap as also. Unless you;ve been offered sponsorship, in which case just go for it.

One thing, bear in mind that not everyone likes Randall, from all the bands ive heard, and all the amps ive heard, there is no other amp that has the randall 'growl' to it. So make sure you try one.

Theres a couple of other guys on here that really use em as well, hopefully they'll pipe up too! :)

Hope it helps!

sami

porkshop sammiches
Reaction score
My first amp was a really horrible 80's model (RG80ES). If I was going to get another Randall, I'd totally be interested in one of those MTS module heads. Being able to swap out preamps is an awesome concept. Helps fight gas!

One thing, bear in mind that not everyone likes Randall,>>
>>because they're mostly solid state heads (my addition and opinion).

One thing is for sure, tube amps cut through more. But that doesn't mean a Randall will sound bad. Pro's use them (besides the late DB) so that should tell you something right there.

Reaction score
The MTS is clearly a serious ass winner. The next amp that I buy (sometime in the near future) will be an MTS RM100. Need proof? Check out the Randall Feature vids on youtube to see what it can do and all the features it has. More proof? Randall MTS Clips. I like tweaking and customizing my amp look and sound wise, and the Randall would let me do that all day long. Between module mods, power tube swaps, preamp tube swaps, faceplate options, module knob and plate options, the usual tweaking, what you can throw in the loop and in the front for boost depending on what modules you use,what cabs you choose based on what modules you use,etc, the possibilities are endless

Nick

Reaction score
are the old cyclones not quite good?

Kirk Windsteins Tone on most crowbar albums is fucking crushing.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Best Randall amps I've owned? MTS line, hands-down. :agreed: They're versatile as hell (even though you say you don't need that) and they can do the high gain stuff quite well. :yesway:

Spinedriver

Reaction score
>>because they're mostly solid state heads (my addition and opinion).

One thing is for sure, tube amps cut through more. But that doesn't mean a Randall will sound bad. Pro's use them (besides the late DB) so that should tell you something right there.

You're partly right..... The new T2/V2 heads have a tube pre amp and a single 12AT7 in the power circuit. The V2 has a 'solid state' mode if you like the more 'traditional' Randall tone. I have a T2 and 'thedownside' will attest that it CAN go toe to toe with a Mesa Dual Rectifier when it comes to cutting through in the mix when jamming. It has more power than you'll ever need and has a built in 'boost' channel (I tried running a TS7 into the 'od' channel and it sounds exactly the same as it does in 'boost' mode without the pedal).

Personally, I've never really cared for the 'traditional' Randall tone (based on the R2 and V-MAX amps that I've heard) but the new T2/V2's are a whole new beast. I remember going into the local shop here a few months ago and trying the T2 out because they were selling it for a sweet price (they used it in a summer music program) and was completely blown away by how tight the low end is and how it doesn't have the harsh high end like the other Randall amps have.

The only issue I would have with the MTS heads is that the modules can be a little pricey. ($200 or more depending on which one you want) And if you want to fill all 4 slots (MTS100), then that's close to another grand on top of the amp itself (unless you get a used one or a deal of some sort that includes modules in the price).

cosmicamnesia

Reaction score
if youre interested in a V2 head, ive got one for sale...they get fantastic death metal tone ...pretty versatile, very crunchy, VERY loud....im asking 750 if youre interested

thedownside

Reaction score
I wouldn't call that a downside ;)

i'm the downside. we're the guitarist's in our band ;)

it does stand close to the mesa... sorry cory, it's not as good as the mesa, but thats all preferance ;) the lows on it are just amazing, very very tight. but you have to be careful of them in a band situation, it's easy for the amp to have too much bass. aside from that, amazing amps. there's a bit of high end solid-stateness there, but i think that could be eq'd away pretty easily if you wanted to.

sami

porkshop sammiches
Reaction score
ohhh! hahaha, my bad! That gave that sentence a totally different meaning. :D

Spinedriver

Reaction score
i'm the downside. we're the guitarist's in our band ;)

it does stand close to the mesa... sorry cory, it's not as good as the mesa, but thats all preferance ;) the lows on it are just amazing, very very tight. but you have to be careful of them in a band situation, it's easy for the amp to have too much bass. aside from that, amazing amps. there's a bit of high end solid-stateness there, but i think that could be eq'd away pretty easily if you wanted to.

Well, you also have to consider that the T2 only has 2 channels, clean and od (+boost) and a shared eq, whereas the Dual Rec has a few dozen knobs & switches to tweak. That and (new) the Mesa costs almost twice as much so you kinda get what you pay for ;) .

tonymustang302

Reaction score
The MTS is clearly a serious ass winner. The next amp that I buy (sometime in the near future) will be an MTS RM100. Need proof? Check out the Randall Feature vids on youtube to see what it can do and all the features it has. More proof? Randall MTS Clips. I like tweaking and customizing my amp look and sound wise, and the Randall would let me do that all day long. Between module mods, power tube swaps, preamp tube swaps, faceplate options, module knob and plate options, the usual tweaking, what you can throw in the loop and in the front for boost depending on what modules you use,what cabs you choose based on what modules you use,etc, the possibilities are endless

+1

I don't think i'll buy another amp. Too many options, too many custom tones, too many modules, plus you can you egnater modules, plus there is a guy that mods the modules. Insane.

')