Randalls for SERIOUS metal

Reaction score
ok, so every review i hear of these amps sounds like shit. is that just a coincidence or do these amps really suck asshole? im mainly talking about the: T2HL and the RT100H. and are there good ones i can get for about the same price?

any other companies i should consider? heard some alright peaveys but ive heard the ones in the $500-$800 range are a bit unreliable.

im looking for LOTS of gain and massive low end. i dont use any pedals so i want the super high gain to be 100% from the amp.

maybe a solid state? only SS amp ive ever played sounded like shit. so please help, im desperate at this point

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Genre/s? Budget? Clean channel needed? MIDI support?

Help us out a little man!

But yes look at the 6505/5150 and their variants as well as the dual/triple rectifiers.

Reaction score
sorry, i assumed that "super high gain" and "massive low end" would have been enough. guess i wasnt specific enough haha my bad

ok, so definitely playing death metal on an ibanez rg1527 prestige (stock pickups) that goes back and forth between A standard tuning and drop G. uuuummmmm clean channel doesnt mean much to me. budget is $850 max.

didnt really like the 5150 and cant afford the 6505(+)

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
I had a solid state Randall RH200 around as a backup amp for many years. It was fuckin' awesome for brutal, real heavy staccato death metal. I ABd it against many tube amps, and it was often preferred, even over 5150, XXX, and others.

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
Ampeg VH140c

/end thread
i had that amp alongside my randall... completely different tones. i preferred the vh140c for most uses though, but i could definitely see some dudes liking the rh or warheads better.

aiur55

Reaction score
They used to a while ago. They are coming out with a revamped guitar line though.

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
well we have 2 6505+ on craigslist in boise idaho (like 1/4 the population of Chicago) for around 750, one fully retubed.

maybe look at a bugera 6262 and get a cheap rack eq, isp decimator to really tighten it up/

Reaction score
but i really need reassurance on a SS because ive never heard a good one before. although, at the same time, the ONLY one ive ever heard was a 1982 GK2100SEL so that might be why it sucked haha

and arent SS's really noisy?

Reaction score
and the 6505+ was nice. i might keep that as an option but i want to know EVERY option. because as much as tone comes first, i like being original as well and creating my own completely different tone and EVERYONE owns a 6505 haha

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
yeah everyone has a 6505 for a reason haha, i traded my 5150II for one.

but dont think just because everyone has one doesnt mean you cant get your own unique tone.

OOOH my i totally forgot

youmight just LOVE ( i know i do 11111%)

is the egnator renengade, all the high gain you need, has both el34's and 12ax7's

clean tone that blows my mind you can find a used one in your price range for sure.

if you get a chance check it out at your local gtar center

Reaction score
i was on there and ive actually been really loving the tones of peoples peavey 3120's........ slightly out of my range but only by a little so saving wont be hard. and ive been finding great prices on used ones. maybe ive found the one........ its heavy and has good cleans

Might-is-Right

As a Lion...
Reaction score
I've had a RH200 before and a V2 Ninja. Both very good amps. The V2 is a "hybrid" as it uses preamp tubes. If I didn't have an Ax Fx I probably would have kept the V2 as it sounded huge. For the price you probably can't beat the RH200 as you can find RH's in the low $200's. They stack up very well against higher priced amps.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
The only Randalls i've ever liked were the V3 and the RH150 G3 or whatever..

JeffHenneman

Reaction score
i was on there and ive actually been really loving the tones of peoples peavey 3120's........ slightly out of my range but only by a little so saving wont be hard. and ive been finding great prices on used ones. maybe ive found the one........ its heavy and has good cleans
i had a peaevy triple xxx(rebadged as 3120), it has a more saturated sound than a randall v2. I have a randall v2 archetype and a v2 ninja, they are very tight and very articulate. They sound nothing like the 3120 in my opinion. Look in the used section on guitarcenter.com, I always see the 3120/triple xxx for around $ 500. Good luck on the hunt.

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
I own a Randall T2, Titan, RH200, and co-own a V2... fucking metal amps, all of them. Very well priced on the used market. Check my sig for a vid of me riffing on the T2 :metal: (massive low end! my webcam is clipping from the bass lol)

slayerrulesyo

Reaction score
Randall V2's sounds awesome, plenty of gain
Randall Warhead's are pretty awesome as well, its all about how you EQ it
6505/5150's can be found cheap used and are pretty reliable as well as the super high gain and massive low end

')