Randalls for SERIOUS metal

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It was my bandmates T2 I think that he just bought new. He quickly realised that he wasted his money and is trying to sell it. It's a terrible amp from what I heard and I tried messing around with it to get a good tone...not possible. Perhaps it was a dud, but my impression of Randall is now pretty poor as a result! I was very surprised...Dimebag used Randall solid states for God's sake!!! haha...he sounded savage!

Like I said, it must of been a dud or had some bad preamp tubes. The T2 is an awesome sounding amp.

You can hear its brother, the V2, here.

And here's Wookie testing out his T2.

And another brutal clip of the T2

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Probably not answering the question, but if you can get one cheap, get an RM100, and then get the bogner uberschaller clone preamp. It is utter win I'm telling you. Did the last CoF album on one of those and was absolutely awesome!

+1. And if you like the XTC (I think thats what you mean, right? :lol: ) you can get it modded and make it sound even better. And then just get you 2 other preamps and use them for other stuff. :D

Hell, loaded RM100's are going as low as $700 now. :D

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
700$? That is a steal, seriously have been very very impressed by these, recorded with one, sounded awesome, and ended up with one on a fly show, and it just sounded awesome (had the bogner uber clone, not the XTC I don't think, although could be wrong) and really hit the spot.

I may have to get an RM100, just to have, as they are well cool with the swappable modules.

In fact, if the original poster has 700$, I'd definately recommend this, as they sound awesome!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Shask

Reaction score
I had a Century 200II for several years. I would say the problem with the older Randalls is they need some volume to really bring the bass. At very low volumes they sound kind of bass-less and fizzy, but get some volume behind them and they start releasing that seriously heavy Crowbar-like bass heavy chunk.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
I would strongly advise against any of the Randall solid states anyway. Haven't heard their tube amps with my own ears so can't testify either way to those, but those solid states are hissy and weak and with no bottom end!!

Dude...on the Randall G3 series I had to turn the bass knob to ZERO, and it was still too much low end. :lol:

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
700$? That is a steal

Got mine for 800$ with 4 modules (Clean, Threadplate, 1086 and Ultra XL (wich is now a Dragon by Kyle) :hbang:

Seriously, this amp is amazing. Versatile, takes no prisoner sounding beast amp. If the OP was still around, I would suggest it, or an RM4 preamp with a Mesa poweramp or something similar. I didn't tried the Bogner clone module, but the 1086 have balls, big and hairy ones. The Dragon is gaining more and more love from me as I use it more and more. The DiMarzios in my 006 just love that amp. Tried it once through a better cab, can't wait to change mine.

satchisgod

Reaction score
Dude...on the Randall G3 series I had to turn the bass knob to ZERO, and it was still too much low end. :lol:

Strange how my friend's one sounded so bad!! I checked on youtube to see what it sounded like and saw some really good videos where the sound was impressive. Could not get a good sound out of it!! Put it down to a dud perhaps :scratch:

getaway_fromme

Reaction score
Strange how my friend's one sounded so bad!! I checked on youtube to see what it sounded like and saw some really good videos where the sound was impressive. Could not get a good sound out of it!! Put it down to a dud perhaps :scratch:

I wouldnt call it a dud. You just have to remember that pickup/speaker combos and user error are great reasons as to why something can sound bad. Literally anyone bitching about an amp sounding "bad" can be chalked up to user error, sans the regular tech and tube failures. Also, bad is just one person's perspective.

I HATED my v2 through Marshall cabs, but LOVED it through an oversized Mesa 4x12

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I HATED my v2 through Marshall cabs, but LOVED it through an oversized Mesa 4x12

I guess this would make sense. I've heard people compare it to a 6505. Maybe treat it like a 6505 and it'll sound good. :)

I had a Century 200II for several years. I would say the problem with the older Randalls is they need some volume to really bring the bass. At very low volumes they sound kind of bass-less and fizzy, but get some volume behind them and they start releasing that seriously heavy Crowbar-like bass heavy chunk.

+1. The Mosfet-powered Randalls works a lot like tube amps. :agreed:

Dammit, all this Randall talk is making me want an RG, Century, or T2 even more. :lol:

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I love my RG100SC combo. Upgrading soon though.

I don't think we're helping out though. This dude's apparently been banned for a while :lol:

Sonicboom

Reaction score
+1 on the RM100. Salvation mods and Jaded Faith mods will turn those modules into tight and aggressive firebreathing modules. Kyle's Dragon modules is pretty damn kickass as well! Oh and you can try any Power tube in them.

')