Randalls for SERIOUS metal

xjasonhowellx81

Reaction score
xjasonhowellx81 i appreciate you trying to save me money (i really do) and that amp is nice as hell but i think im going to try some others before i go for this amp (as i cant try one in person). but great suggestion and its DEFINITELY an option but i have a friend with a T2HL and a V2 so im going to try them and ill probably like them a lot. but if i ever get bored, ill eventually get that amp. im not ready to trust SS's just yet and as im only 16, its pretty hard to come across money so i have to spend it wisely. but thanks for the suggestion!!

not a problem dude. good luck on the search! be sure to let us know what you get your hands on!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JeffHenneman

Reaction score
xjasonhowellx81 i appreciate you trying to save me money (i really do) and that amp is nice as hell but i think im going to try some others before i go for this amp (as i cant try one in person). but great suggestion and its DEFINITELY an option but i have a friend with a T2HL and a V2 so im going to try them and ill probably like them a lot. but if i ever get bored, ill eventually get that amp. im not ready to trust SS's just yet and as im only 16, its pretty hard to come across money so i have to spend it wisely. but thanks for the suggestion!!

I recently went thru a new amp search and the best advise is the obivous one, try out as many amps in person possible. I tried out as many amps as possible but ended Up blindly buying a few different randall heads. I was a little bummed when I got them caue they didn't measure up to the hype, but after spending time with them and lots of advise on the randall forum I love the sounds I am getting. My moral of this story is this, since this is your first major amp purchase really spend time with amps in person, this way you get a amp that works well with you. Cause if you get a amp they is nt right for you, then you have to sell it to fund your next purchase and start the cycle all over again.Its best to be patient and get it right the first time.

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Well man, i don't know if it's because a randall was my first amp, or the second randall i tried is one of those crappy G3 combos, but apart from the V and T lines, i hate them utterly. Worst sounding amps in the world.

Reaction score
Well man, i don't know if it's because a randall was my first amp, or the second randall i tried is one of those crappy G3 combos, but apart from the V and T lines, i hate them utterly. Worst sounding amps in the world.
whas better about the V and T? specifically the T.

and my friend lied like a motherfucker. all he had was some crappy $100 randall combo so the search continues. and i cant try many in person because all i have near me is ONE guitar center that doesnt have anything i like

sell2792

Reaction score
I'm looking for an Archetype or Ninja. Does anyone know exactly what the differrence is?

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
I'm looking for an Archetype or Ninja. Does anyone know exactly what the differrence is?

last 2 posts
MTS Forum :: View topic - V2 vs T2

Ninja has more top end sizzle while the Archetype has more more bottom end that is tighter.........

The T2 is basically a stripped down version of a V2. I have owned an Archetype and now own a T2 and its all about preference. I prefer a simple layout with a tube clean channel rather than solid state. The graphic EQ is really handy but I constantly jacked with it because I played mind gamed with myself regarding tone.........

I played around with both of them today, With the exact same settings my first impressions are:
The archetype has more low mids and little bit more gain as well as being super tight on the low end.
The ninja on the other hand sounded alot more open than the archetype, like the frequences all had more room to breath. I guess that is expected since the ninja has less gain.
One interesting thing I noticed is the tight/loose and the bright switch seemed to have a lot more effect on the tone in the archetype.
I used a randall cabinet that has Celestion G12H 100W speakers . I have noticed that both these amps have a ridiculous amount of low end. I thought it may just be the cab but i tried my other cabs and the same deal.
I was planning on doing clips but I am sick right now so hopefully I can get them done sometime this week.

MastrXploder

Reaction score
Go with the T2, Its got all the gain and low end you could want. Plus I heard the clean is way better then the V2. Ive only owned the T2. That being said, if you can snag a deal on an Engl fireball 60, fucking do it. That amp kicks serious ass and ive owned the randall, engl, and 6505+ for long periods of time.

MaxSwagger

Reaction score
The Randall RH50T can do metal very well when boosted with a TS9. I had one for a few months, great, affordable, tube head.

JeffHenneman

Reaction score
I tried a t2 recently and I think the clean is better than the v2. Both amps kick ass btw, if you a tweaker the v2 is form you, if you want it more simple go with a t2

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
If it's between the regular V2 and T2, I'll probably recommend the T2 for its simplicity and pure balls to wall. It has a bit more gain, not to mention its nicer cleans. But like Jeff says if you're a tweaker and want more options go for the V2, especially if you can find a Ninja or the Archetype :bowdown:

All of them kick ass and you can't go wrong but like everyone has said, try to test the amp with your guitar or something similar to it :hbang:

Checking out the Engls would be a good idea too. Fucking class amps! (GASSSSSSS)

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
Why are we suggesting Engls to someone looking for Randalls and other cheap amps?

longfalcon

Reaction score
+1 but their live sound kills

recorded sound requires good engineering and mixing. the OP shouldnt be looking at recorded tones to compare amps. the best thing to do is to try them out, at the volume he intends to play. also important is if he wants to play in a band, if so, does that band have another guitar player.

"massive low end" and very high gain sound great in the bedroom, but can fit very poorly live. the reason 6505/5150s are recommended is that the can pull off pretty crushing sounds in live situations. be careful with the gain knob, though, they can get fizzy really fast

bklixuz

Reaction score
you mentioned you dont like 5150's but a used 5150/6505 bias modded and high gain retubed might be killer! :deathm:
give it a try... or just go with the v2/t2

Reaction score
finally got to hear a jet city jca100h and i was expecting some vintagey sounding amp (dont know why, they just look that way to me) but WOW was i impressed.

and as for ENGL's, if i had they money i would. theyre #1 on my list. id get a powerball II because of the tone in this vid

his tone is MASSIVE. but my choices are now the b-52 atx100 and the jca100h. theyre about the same price (~$600) so now its just about the better sounding amp......i think the jca is going to win though

Reaction score
but where would we be without a few problems right? a few reviews on musicians friend say it CANT and WONT do metal. god fucking damn it!!! cant this ever be easy?

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
Get the JCA100h and boost it instead of the b-52... or wait til the JCA22h comes out! SLO in 20w form :yum:

Reaction score
id prefer to have no pedals (i know, im crazy, but i think they kill your natural tone) so am i back to square 1 or are these still options. sorry for being so ignorant and stupid but i dont know enough about amps to answer these questions myself

sell2792

Reaction score
I'm lurking CL for a V2 or a T2. So far it's been near impossible to find an Archetype near me, but hopefully something comes up. Are their matching cabs any good?

')