Ranking seven-string guitars

• Thread starter NostraHistoria
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an Epiphone LP and an PRS SE seven-string. Each one is unique. It is difficult to rank them. In any case, can someone rank seven-string guitars?

I am interested in doing some research on them. There are too many to look at. Many of them are made by companies I know little about, such as Schechter. I tried an Ibanez, and it was really cheap.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
WHOA!!!!!!!!!! You just opened up a whole can o' worms there:eek: Totally depends on what specs, neck, woods, etc.... that you want. And also what price point?

Let the games begin!

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
The ones I'm selling are tied for #1. The ones I'm keeping are uh tied for #2.

Reaction score
Which are? ESP, PRS, Epiphone, Ibanez, and Schechter are the ones I know. I am interested in how they rank.

s2k9k

Reaction score
Overall Ibanez Prestige followed by ESP IMO.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
A PRS Private Stock 7 is better than an LTD M17.

Reaction score
What is the criteria to rank 7 string guitars? This should be the first question, in other words, what does one want to rank? Price point, Quality Control? TONE??? Build quality? Finishes? These are only themes on which the criteria should be identified. Then, lets remember that most replies to any possible question on these themes will be subjective, therefore, unlikely to produce a reasonable ranking result...

IMHO, this is kind of pointless, but to each his own...

If, on the other hand, one starts a ranking of specific guitars like, how do these guitars rank?
Option 1 - name one brand several models]
Option 2 - name one model per brand

Reaction score
Price does not matter.

I looked up some of those guitars. I do not like the look of metal guitars. I play rock.

Insomnia

Needs more strings!
Reaction score
This'll be insanely hard considering the probable thousands of different 7-string models out there.

But from my experiences, the Aristides 070 is the best in terms of tone, playability, looks, and overall feel. Mayones Duvell Elite as a close second, then Mayones Regius, then Strandberg CS.

(Bear in mind that's from what I've played).

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
I reckon a sub-$8000 guitar from Mayones or Schecter USA or ESP CS or any other super high-end brands would be just as good, if not much better than that...

I'm not a PRS guy... but.. "much better"? :nuts:

chuggalug

Reaction score
If I had to pick two 7 string guitars and money wasnt an issue. I'd go with an ernie ball majesty for the floating trem and then a mayones duvell with the schaller hannes bridge (more comfortable than hipshot imo). I feel like both of these guitars are built so well and play so effortlessly that between the both of them you will never find yourself sitting there feeling like your guitar is hindering your progress.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
It's a 25.5" scale length with generic SD pickups, in a very subjective color.

Good point... anything less than 28" is sh1zz for p0sers. Plus if it ain't BKP it belongs on a Hello Kitty squier. I bet a stock Schecter KM7 would shred the face off that urine soaked piece of cardboard PRS is hocking.... yeah. I think he should get a fanned fret Skervesen Shoggie myself. Cuz, if it ain't teh Br0otz it's fer fr00ts.

Reaction score
Let us rank them according to tone.

Lol, change the strings or let them rust = different Tone; change the player = different tone; change Pickups = different tone, change pots/circuit/switches = lots more different tones...

I have 2 equal guitars, same brand and model, woods, hardware and strings, only difference is pickups, different tones...

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
Lol, change the strings or let them rust = different Tone; change the player = different tone; change Pickups = different tone, change pots/circuit/switches = lots more different tones...

I have 2 equal guitars, same brand and model, woods, hardware and strings, only difference is pickups, different tones...

^This.

You can't "rank" guitars, per se. Figure out what you think you like and give it a shot. There are so many variations that can you spend a lifetime tinkering with, but that's also part of the fun of it:scratch::wallbash:

You might find a $500 Schecter more pleasing to play than a Mayones......

jerm

Reaction score
Good point... anything less than 28" is sh1zz for p0sers. Plus if it ain't BKP it belongs on a Hello Kitty squier. I bet a stock Schecter KM7 would shred the face off that urine soaked piece of cardboard PRS is hocking.... yeah. I think he should get a fanned fret Skervesen Shoggie myself. Cuz, if it ain't teh Br0otz it's fer fr00ts.
:lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts

')