Rap Album Sales Take Nosedive...

• Thread starter Nik
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Thank God!

I can say I agree with that.

And then there's the criminal aspect that has long been a part of rap. In the '70s, groups may have rapped about drug dealing and street violence, but rap stars weren't the embodiment of criminals themselves. Today, the most popular and successful rappers boast about who has murdered more foes and rhyme about dealing drugs as breezily as other artists sing about love.

I never really understood the glorification of rape, murder, theft, drug dealing and prostitution, and the degeneration of women to sex objects. I think it's funny when girls who love rap try to defend it, saying "he's not really sexist" or "This is just the style!"

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't say that I'm suprised. It's getting more ridiculous than when record labels were signing any and every hair metal band back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Aaron

Reaction score
listening to people rap about there clothes, cars, and how much shit they got
is also just fucking annoying

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't say that I'm suprised. It's getting more ridiculous than when record labels were signing any and every hair metal band back in the late 80s/early 90s.

i wonder if it'll be like hair bands are now, where you can only hear them on certain channels at certain times? that'd be badass \m/

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
eh, whatever. i've never been a 'rap' fan, much less the pop stuff. now hip hop...

huber

Contributor
Reaction score
IMO the only quality music to come of Hip-hop has been Trip hop. I can't find myself listening to anything else. I also suspect that the increase in fans of heavy music in the past couple of years has something to do with it.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thank god...it's been largely self-parodic for years. I'm not suprised people are becoming bored with it.

220BX

Reaction score
that's a relief, IMO.
i don't hate hip-hop, cuz someone put up PE's "fight the power" vid yesterday over here and it was so sick.
i don't like where rappers are going today, just talking about bling and how much they have achieved.. hope heavy musics reign comes soon enough.

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
Perhaps K-Fed will release a BM album next, then? That would be, er, interesting...

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
I see that story as a cautionary tale, the public is getting sick of it simply because too many groups are trying to capitlaize on the same formula. The same thing is starting (or may have started) with metal as well, and only a fool would thiink that the same result won't reappear in metal as well.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I see that story as a cautionary tale, the public is getting sick of it simply because too many groups are trying to capitlaize on the same formula. The same thing is starting (or may have started) with metal as well, and only a fool would thiink that the same result won't reappear in metal as well.

Agreed.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score

it did at the end of the 1980s, except it was hair bands. Its actually a good thing for the genre in the sense that it forced metal underground, where it was most innovative.

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
There's is a lot of good rap around, but what you hear on MTV is definitely not it. It's about time that stuff went out of fashion.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think it has way less to do with the content of the songs than it does with the struucture of the genre.

Like most of us, I suspect, I think Faux's assertation that the decline is due to the lyrical content and social message speaks more to their political orientation than the rappers. Rather, I think what's at issue here is the rap world is very "single" oriented. The emphasis, to generalize, isn't about cohesive albums but rather promoting the "hit single" and getting radio airplay. As such, the rest of the album gets kind of marginalized, and if you're looking for the track you're hearing all over the radio from the latest one-hit-wonder, why buy his or her album when you can just download it, legally or otherwisE?

This is further complicated by the fact that every rap album seems to have six or seven songs "featuring" other artists. If you're a huge fan of, say, Snoop Dog, and want to have everything he's ever rapped about in your collection, are you going to go out and buy the 20 albums by up and comers where he's featured, just to have two verses on one song on each of them that he raps on? Of course not.

Rap is no less "evil" or "morally wrong" than your average black metal band, so for us to slam it based on that seems awfully short-sighted. However, how many black metal bands have hit singles, and when's the last time you heard another black metal vocalist "featured" on someone else's disc? Frankly, it's just not a sustainable model.

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
Rap is no less "evil" or "morally wrong" than your average black metal band, so for us to slam it based on that seems awfully short-sighted. However, how many black metal bands have hit singles, and when's the last time you heard another black metal vocalist "featured" on someone else's disc? Frankly, it's just not a sustainable model.

Ackerfield did the death vocals for Katatonia's Black Murder Day. :D

I get what you mean, though.

')