Rap fan pays fine rather than listen to classical music

• Thread starter Zepp88
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a cheap Samick classical guitar with piezo and cutaway. It actually sounds pretty good, especially with hard tension strings. I filed the nut and bridge as far as they'd go, action is reasonable now :)

You need to administer some classical music on that dudes ass:hbang:
If he wont let you administer, fine him 150 bucks:lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger

Reaction score
:agreed:

The dude doesn't have a clue. "No way, muthafuckah. I don' wanna fuckin' 'expand mah muzkal horizons.' Only one goddamn music in this world worth listenin' to and that's gangsta rap, foo'. Shiiiiiii'." :squint:

So wait, you guys are using modern day black face stereotypes and faulting a guy because he felt a responsibility to keep a prior commitment to his team instead of playing into a judges skewed sense of justice?

This thread is pretty ridiculous. I love gangsta rap and classical music. How would you have stereotyped someone for listening to faggy neoclassical metal too loud and choosing to go to his Dungeon and Dragons team meet instead of listening to a Bob Dylan record?

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
How would you have stereotyped someone for listening to faggy neoclassical metal too loud and choosing to go to his Dungeon and Dragons team meet instead of listening to a Bob Dylan record?

:rofl:

AK DRAGON

Guitar Popcicle
Reaction score
There are days that I wish we had a judge here that would do that. i am tired of feeling my condo vibrate due to some young chucklehead wanting to bounce his car.

If only there was a directional hand held EMP or mute button

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
So wait, you guys are using modern day black face stereotypes and faulting a guy because he felt a responsibility to keep a prior commitment to his team instead of playing into a judges skewed sense of justice?

This thread is pretty ridiculous. I love gangsta rap and classical music. How would you have stereotyped someone for listening to faggy neoclassical metal too loud and choosing to go to his Dungeon and Dragons team meet instead of listening to a Bob Dylan record?

Hey man, that's power metal you're talking about.... neo-classical fans go to their guitar woodshedding meetings man, don't get them mixed up:lol:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score

That's not a stereotype. They actually do talk like that and it doesn't matter if the guy was black or white. Tons of my guys in my school were from the ghetto and there were the blacks and whites who talked normal and then there were the blacks and whites who talked in the way that I wrote. And then there was the black who always talked in normal English until one day he just decided to start talking "ghetto." I told him he sounded like an idiot and said "Nah, dogg, I jus' tryin' to get in touch with my heritage." and I said "And your heritage is changing the way you speak to sound like you didn't have an education?" You might consider it "blackface," but that's probably because you never come in contact with people like that. Somehow it suddenly becomes offensive for immitating the way someone actually talks ("blackface"? :rolleyes:).

Hm... "someone for listening to faggy neoclassical metal too loud and choosing to go to his Dungeon and Dragons team meet instead of listening to a Bob Dylan record."

That's a little more difficult for me because I didn't really know anyone like that, but I did know a lot of basketball gangster-wannabes. I probably could have done a "mall goth," "nu metaller," or somethin' like that.

Let me give it a try...

<EDIT: Nah, I really have no idea how to do the neo-classical thing. I did one, but it came out more just like a D&D nerd than a neo-classical metal thing. :shrug:>

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Fuck I'd pay if I had to sit in the same place and listen to music for 20 hours! It's good to see the guy is committed to his team and willing to fork over a bit of cash so he can still go to practice.

Reaction score
It's 150 fucking bucks. Not a whole lot of money. I love rap, black metal, country, etc and you couldn't make me spend 20 hours listening to classical and I like classical music. If I had somewhere to be, I'd just pay the fine. He had commitments to his basketball team and he didn't have time for some stupid punishment and it's not to say he didn't learn his lesson, he just didn't have time for such an undertaking. Idiots take this as "Stupid rap fan would rather pay lots of money than to listen to real music" and that wasn't what the article was about. Grow up. And I hate hate HATE to even mention racism..but I don't like the way this is going at all.

Warpticon

Reaction score
Seriously, topic/article/whatever is severely misleading. If it was a little time, that'd be one thing. Sitting in place for 20 hours when I got shit to do? Fuck that noise.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd probably sit and listen to the classical music for one thing and one thing only. To avoid giving the government $150 bucks. This is of course putting myself in this guys shoes, he's a college student so he might not be working a full time job to the point where that mattered.

daybean

Contributor
Reaction score
if it were the other way around and you had to listen to some lil' wayne or daddy yankee or what ever. i still would sit through the rap myself...bu some people cant take it.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
if it were the other way around and you had to listen to some lil' wayne or daddy yankee or what ever. i still would sit through the rap myself...bu some people cant take it.

My god, I couldn't take that at all man. :eek: I'm sorry to say that I'd have to hand over the cash. And besides, you could work for those 20 hours instead and make back that money and more besides.

Uber Mega

Try my fist!
Contributor
Reaction score
It might have been national try-outs or another important practice that he had been preparing for and wanted to make, there are some pretty daft posts in this thread IMO. He obviously felt his time was worth more than $150, so fair play to him.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score

It would be difficult, but if I really didn't want to pay the $150 I'd do it.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
It might have been national try-outs or another important practice that he had been preparing for and wanted to make, there are some pretty daft posts in this thread IMO. He obviously felt his time was worth more than $150, so fair play to him.

I suppose so, for some reason people love their sports...

bulletbass man

Classical & Metal
Reaction score
The issue is shelling out the cash, because I want to get a NICE one, but I never want to set aside that kind of cash :lol:

My classical kicks some major ass and I got it in a trade for my epiphone les paul which at the time wasn't even strung.

Few people relize the value of thier classicals. Same goes for many guitar stores. You can at times get a really killer guitar for next to nothing. My friend's classical has indian rosewood back and sides. Englman(spelling?) Sprucetop. Ebony fretboard and quite frankly the best action i've seen on a classical out of the 2 grand range. And it costs him a total of 350 or something like that.

Tiger

Reaction score
That's not a stereotype. They actually do talk like that and it doesn't matter if the guy was black or white. Tons of my guys in my school were from the ghetto and there were the blacks and whites who talked normal and then there were the blacks and whites who talked in the way that I wrote. And then there was the black who always talked in normal English until one day he just decided to start talking "ghetto." I told him he sounded like an idiot and said "Nah, dogg, I jus' tryin' to get in touch with my heritage." and I said "And your heritage is changing the way you speak to sound like you didn't have an education?" You might consider it "blackface," but that's probably because you never come in contact with people like that. Somehow it suddenly becomes offensive for immitating the way someone actually talks ("blackface"? :rolleyes:).

The stereotype here is that people who listen to hip hop speak that way. I am seriously a huge fan of Dre, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, and the NWA. That is straight gangsta rap. I play basketball. I have black friends. Theres just as much Dmitri Shostakovich and Francisco Tarrega as gangsta rap in my playlists. I scored in the 97 percentile in english on the SAT's.

You're saying that anyone who listens to rap is going to speak to you in ebonics, scoff at culture, and probably try to rob you because he is from the hood, and you're trying to justify it because you knew people 'from the ghetto' in high school. Thats whack, yo.

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
I'd probably sit and listen to the classical music for one thing and one thing only. To avoid giving the government $150 bucks. This is of course putting myself in this guys shoes, he's a college student so he might not be working a full time job to the point where that mattered.

you're not really putting yourself in his shoes, though.

he wasn't talking about a friendly informal game of b-ball with a few friends.
he's a college player, which means he may have a scholarship (worth *WAY* more than $150) on the line, and a possible career as a professional player.
not missing practice is a matter of consistency and principle, both very important if you're serious about something (be it playing guitar or playing college level sports).

and there's an ethical question here. what's worse: paying the government $150 for a minor disturbing-the-peace violation that you actually did commit, or letting the government be the arbiter of your musical taste?

')