Rap Metal's Not Dead

WhoThenNow7

Reaction score
I think you're definitely on the right track. I think this type of band all starts with the drums though, a little more groove on that end, and build the guitars around it. I might also suggest tuning lower, not crazy.. but standard seems too high for this type. Otherwise good job and it's nice to see two different genres coming together in one project.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Hiryuu

Dot dot dot.
Reaction score
I was expecting something more like Hacktivist when I first clicked. I'm glad I was wrong.

I do agree with the sentiment that the vocals are a little unsuitably laid-back. But I like the approach.

Boomside

Rap Metal's Not Dead
Reaction score
I think you're definitely on the right track. I think this type of band all starts with the drums though, a little more groove on that end, and build the guitars around it. I might also suggest tuning lower, not crazy.. but standard seems too high for this type. Otherwise good job and it's nice to see two different genres coming together in one project.

I can feel that. We've considered tuning lower, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen soon.

Although, tuning wise and tonally, we'd rather default to the hardcore side of the spectrum rather than risk getting into once-trendy, super down-tuned, rapcore territory. We'll see what the newer music calls for though. The extra heaviness would be a nice addition, for sure.

And thanks again to all of you who've given this a listen and had kind words. It kind of kicks my ass that people have even given Boomside a chance on here (and everywhere else) as much as they have.

My gratitude can't even be put into words.

HeavyD

Hatechild
Reaction score
I'm pleasantly surprised. It's a good crossover with sufficiently metallic music and well-delivered rap which goes together nicely. Cool stuff, I would do a show with you.
For me I use Body Count as the basis for what I consider rap metal. Most of what is usually called "rap metal" is light on the rap side.
Ice-T, f*ck yeah.

I would also consider that down-tuning and hyper-aggressive delivery is kind of a given for a lot of bands from the late 90s-early 2000s so by averting those things you have more of your own thing going than if you changed to sound more like them.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
For me I use Body Count as the basis for what I consider rap metal. Most of what is usually called "rap metal" is light on the rap side.

You need some Stuck Mojo in your life.

Shit, I even like Clawfinger compared to a lot of the popular rap metal bands. :lol:

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Although the influence wasn't super intentional in that part, I Am The Black Wizards by Emperor is one of my favorite black metal songs ever.

Read through the first page of comments and decided to listen to it after this one. :hbang:

The black metal bit was rad and the song kinda reminded me of Body Count.

Boomside

Rap Metal's Not Dead
Reaction score
Read through the first page of comments and decided to listen to it after this one. :hbang:

The black metal bit was rad and the song kinda reminded me of Body Count.

That's awesome, man! Glad it reeled you in enough to check it out and that you were digging it. I saw Emperor at BB King's in NYC way back when and it was pretty incredible. Love those guys.

As for BC - I had very, very low expectations for the new Body Count, and I was very, very surprised and impressed. I dig the songs, they're a lot of fun. The whole album has a tongue-in-cheek vibe to it that I love.

Boomside

Rap Metal's Not Dead
Reaction score
Just bumping this one more time before we head into the studio again this weekend to churn out some new shit for everyone.

In the meantime, here's our intro track, for those of you who've dug Boomside.

Bigtime thanks again to everyone for listening and giving us an honest chance. The response has been more positive than any of us had hoped or expected.

Boomside

Rap Metal's Not Dead
Reaction score
Finished recording 2 new jams. We've been getting some awesome mixes back, and hope to shoot a video in a few weeks.

Also, I know there's a few NYers who have posted, so for anyone in the area - we've recently announced a show at East Islip Lanes, for their Spring Fling Fest. $12 gets you free shoe rental, all-you-can-bowl and SONIC BOOM! These shows are always a total party. All the details can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/events/395469557301773/ .

Boomside

Rap Metal's Not Dead
Reaction score
Got a cool matinee show in Brooklyn this Saturday, if anyone's in the area. New jams are mixed and mastered, and the brand new 9 to 5 or .45 video is halfway done. Can't wait for all of you to hear/see what we've been working on!

https://www.facebook.com/events/817010611718135/

g0KNEua.jpg

Reaction score
This comes across more like hardcore. Drummer has a Bad Brains shirt on, there's a shot of a dog being walked, the riffs sound like it. Are you the bassist? He seems like a metal guy who joined a hardcore punk band and still calls what he's playing metal :lol:

')