Rare build opportunity

• Thread starter jwthompson21
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jwthompson21

Machines of Hate
Reaction score
So I have been trying my hand at customizing and reworking guitars for the last 3 years. First it was a knockoff ML 6er, then it was converting my AX to a 25.5 scale Fernandes neck, and now my latest endeavor. I just got my router attachment modified to work with my dremel, and I did some testing to make sure it is capable. Then I went looking for some parts and this is what I will have...

Take one stock guitar
JacksonDR7.jpg

Subtract the body, add this (routed for 7 dims of course)
KingVBody.jpg

And then route and apply this hardware
Washburn7StringLicensedFloyd.jpg

and you end up with something similar to this
trivium_2521781.jpg

What I am not sure of is the finish, so I am looking for suggestions on color scheme, graphics, etc.

Wish me luck!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sebastian

Reaction score
That would be really interesting :yesway:

After all..... Jackson ! :metal:

Vairocarnal

...is something.
Reaction score
It think the color should be equal parts red and green. Kinda like burnt orange and lime green made whoopie and didn't pull out, ya know? Not quite one but not the other...but at the same time both.

jwthompson21

Machines of Hate
Reaction score
I was debating whether to go green or red, so I do like a possible combination. I just looked at a ghost burst design. Maybe a red with black edges ghost burst, and do the headstock the opposite, black with red edges burst?

Sebastian

Reaction score
I was debating whether to go green or red, so I do like a possible combination. I just looked at a ghost burst design. Maybe a red with black edges ghost burst, and do the headstock the opposite, black with red edges burst?

Whatever you do - make a matching headstock :yesway:

jwthompson21

Machines of Hate
Reaction score
So I think I have decided on a red body/headstock with white burst around the edges. I have not seen that combination before and think it would be awesome. I am a big fan of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" so that's what made me think of that color scheme. I had a minor setback getting the DR7, but hopefully that will be resolved this week...

jwthompson21

Machines of Hate
Reaction score
Well, after a week delay, I got the goods...
JacksonDR74.jpg

Oops! that's pretty to easy to fix. Especially since the headstock will get the same treatment as the body.

JacksonDR73.jpg

Skulls, heeeheee

JacksonDR72.jpg

Considering the nastiness of the strings and the frets, it plays really well.

JacksonDR71.jpg

And the full frontal shot. The quality of the neck is somewhere between the Jackson JDR-94 and KE3 that I used to own in my young and dumb days (I would have been smart to keep both of those!) And both of those were reverse stock as well.

Hopefully I can get down to business soon on this project. I just got sick after having too much fun over the 4th holiday, so it may be another week before the real fun begins. stay tuned....

Sebastian

Reaction score
I love DR7's :yesway:
Can't wit to see how it'll turn into King V :lol:

:metal:

jwthompson21

Machines of Hate
Reaction score
Taking apart the trem to sketch the routing on the body...
disassembledtrem.jpg

Filled in the old post holes... now I know why the last guy sold this off so quick! The holes are offset by a 1/4" from being aligned with the neck :nono:
trempostholesfilled.jpg

And a quick mockup of the trem and a light trace on the body. that's all I can muster for now. Gotta sleep off this cold :squint:
tremmockup.jpg

I apologize in advance for the 3MP cell phone cam and a lack of flash options hahah :wavey:

jwthompson21

Machines of Hate
Reaction score
Wood filler does the trick! Just can't bump it again. I'll finish this up later, but it's starting to look good.
headstockchipfixed.jpg

CAD templates for the neck pocket.
neckpockettemplates.jpg

Pocket is routed...
fittingtheneck.jpg

Looking good so far
neckonguitar.jpg

Also routed for the neck plate to sit flush with the body and give the screws some more bite in the neck. Still about 1/4" thicker than the JDR body pocket.
neckplaterouting.jpg

Fitted the locking nut base with some shims and some high density rubber on the side facing the tuners. Won't know how well the action the is until I get some strings on then may have to adjust, but looks good just eyeballing it.
attachlockingnut.jpg

Taking all the hardware out of the JDR body. Anybody looking for an archtop 7 string bridge?
disassemblejdrbody.jpg

And finishing the day with the pickup routings. Nice thing is the wiring holes were already cut. Only routing left is the bridge and volume pot.
pickuprouting.jpg

I think I am going to put a push-pull volume pot on like my K7. Either/or pickup switching, I like it simple. :agreed:

jwthompson21

Machines of Hate
Reaction score
I haven't had much free time to work on this. Plus I went back to an older guitar for some much needed maintenance.

I read another builder's thread about making the shelf for the locking nut, so I threw out my first try and made one for my neck too :shred:

Off with the shims and stupid rubber piece
downsized_0731001250.jpg

Handy router time:
0731001250a.jpg

I routed a small piece of mahogany on one half of it, then I used a sanding wheel for the other side to make the slope. I am really surprised I didn't break it and have to start over, since I took a different approach than the other guy:
downsized_0731001308.jpg

Front view:
0731001308a.jpg

jwthompson21

Machines of Hate
Reaction score
The skull knobs were on the Jackson when I bought it. Pretty cool, huh!? I put one on my ML knockoff guitar already. :agreed:

SIDE NOTE: I started measuring out the scale length for placement of the bridge, and DUH! this body was routed for the short scale neck that it came with :wallbash:

Soooooo.... the bridge pickup routing is wrong and the trem cavity is wrong. Everything has to move back about an inch. :realmad:

However, I managed to start the process last night by glueing in a 1" deep block in the trem cavity where the spring screws go in. I will post pictures as I get further into this re-work. I know I can pull this off, and it makes the project even more rewarding.
:metal:

jwthompson21

Machines of Hate
Reaction score
Okay, another snag in my project:

First off, I apologize for the lack of pics, been too busy to document things :mad:

The width of the washburn FR nut in comparison to the original Jackson nut is about +1.5 mm. AND the trem width compared to the TOM bridge is about +3.5mm.

I put strings on the B and E saddles and positioned the bridge to align with the neck, and that is when I made this discovery. the strings sit REALLY close to the bevel on the frets. I looked at my other guitars and none of them are this close.

Any opinions on what I should do? I am afraid that when playing the strings will want to fall off the ends of the frets?

I almost want to put the guitar back together stock and look for an ibanez neck, cause I know they would accomodate the width.

jwthompson21

Machines of Hate
Reaction score
Well, plenty of views and no suggestions, eh? I take it upon myself to go abandon ship on the Jackson neck, and starting looking around for another neck to go with the King V body.

In the meantime, be on the lookout for a custom paint job on the DR7 body.

I will keep posting updates in this thread as I re-assemble the Jackson... stay tuned.

Floody_85

Reaction score
Thats a problem of converting guitars to floyds..The string spacing on the bridge is taken into account when making the neck and a floyds spacing is usually pretty different..a new neck is prob the way to go

')