Re-Stringing!

• Thread starter AxeGuru
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AxeGuru

Reaction score
Yeah!, i know. Its one of the most essential parts but i'm totally useless at it and always rely on my friends to re-string lol. I'm ok with putting the strings through the bridge as its a string through fixed bridge ibanez but its the pegs i have a problem with, I dont know whether i have to wrap the string round then put it through the hole or the other way round, plus how much length should I cut off?. Also, whats a good height to have the saddles at?. Heres two pics - my string atchment which is nasty but the best i've done so far (string buzz's like hell tho), and the saddle height. It'll be great if someone good post some diagram pics or a link with pics of how everything should be set (preferbly with a guitar like mine:). Thanks.
100_0539.jpg
100_0541.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
First off, those pics are FRIGGIN' HUGE and lack definition! Mind resizing/cropping them?

Secondly, you would want to have the string go though the post, and leave enough slack that you can twist the tuner to turn the string around the peg about 2 times and get to tune. That should be enough to keep it from slipping, without getting too cluttered.

About the saddles, the adjust the action (distance from string to fret) If that is too low, it will cause buzzing, and be generally unpleasent. Too high, and it will harder to fret the notes properly. What you want is the happy medium where it's just right for you and doesn't cause much buzzing (It's ok as long as you don't hear it though the amp.) You may want to get someone to show you how to adjust it properly in person.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
It is also helpful to increase the angle over the nut by having the string under the coils around the tuner. They're on top there - you should have them under the winds.

As for saddles, that'll be action - personal preference, as he said.

Jeff

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
It is also helpful to increase the angle over the nut by having the string under the coils around the tuner. They're on top there - you should have them under the winds.

As for saddles, that'll be action - personal preference, as he said.

Jeff

Good point, I forgot to mention that one. :yesway:

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
Just make sure to pull the string taught while you're winding the string and it should have neat looking wraps. Works every time for me :yesway:

Nomad

Reaction score
If you aren't comfortable changing your strings, I suggest taking your guitar into a trusted local shop, buying a new set of strings, then asking if you can watch the tech change the strings. While he's doing it you can see how he does it and ask a few questions at the same time. Or you could always try a google search for "changing guitar strings" Also keep in mind that if you want to be a guitarist/bassist eventually you're gonna want to learn to do a FULL setup by yourself. The good news is the tools are inexpensive. The bad news is, it takes a bit of practice to get right. However, if you can do it yourself you save a buttload of cash.

')