Reactions to your 7 string?

• Thread starter nyck
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Haven't got any negative comments about mine. The reactions seem to conist of two things...

1. "Wow! Is that a 7-string?" Said with large eyes and amazement. Then they immediately want to look at it up close. If they play guitar, they bide their time and inevitably ask to play it, to which I always allow them, to their continued amazement.

2. "Man, that's a beautiful guitar!" I have an RG2027, and the thing is gorgeous in real life. I had a whole music store tell me how petty it was a few years back (probably about 15 people. Then, when I had my parents go pick it up because I had a prior engagement, they came home and said everyone in the store kept grinning and going on about how pretty that 7-string guitar was :lol: )

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
With me a person usually says "hey nice guit..wait a minute...

NiMH

Banned
Reaction score
the reaction that I get is people giving me a big ration of shit saying that I wish I was KoRn. However, the guy with the baritone-scale six string gets no shit.

Matt

Some random dude
Reaction score
#1 "Oh, you have a seven string." (without enthusiasm, by a "know it all" who chooses not to own one)

#2 "Wow, whats the extra string for/tuned to. Really? Thats awesome."

#3 "so six isn't enough hey" (with a friendly smile)

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
People generally either
1) think its cool
2) Ask me if i play Nu metal.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up - especially since I'm in a power metal band. Apparently, there's some rule that I didn't know about that only allows Prog and Nu metal guitarists to play 7 strings.

Then, when they see the "Custom Shop" on the headstock - if they know anything about Jackson - they ask me if my family's eating.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
Apparently, there's some rule that I didn't know about that only allows Prog and Nu metal guitarists to play 7 strings.

Guess i should stop playing Thrash metal :/

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
Apparently, there's some rule that I didn't know about that only allows Prog and Nu metal guitarists to play 7 strings.

There's also a similar rule about Death Metal I believe.

theunforgiven246

BEHOLD KLUMPAMUS PRIME!
Reaction score
yea my drummer is the one who is like "you dont need seven strings" and i just say "you know jazz guys use seven and sometimes more strings right?" (btw, he thinks that he's a jazz drummer and that he likes jazz but if he really did then he'd know). my other guitarist friend just laughs and says i'm crazy (at one jam session his guitar broke and i had my six and seven there and i wanted to use the six for tremolo reasons but he took it cause he said he wouldnt be able to play the seven :p ).

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You know, half the time, no one notices, people I'm jamming with included. :lol:

We'll see, once I start gigging with the CST, though - that thing's total eye candy, it'll generate a few more stares.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
You know, half the time, no one notices, people I'm jamming with included. :lol:

We'll see, once I start gigging with the CST, though - that thing's total eye candy, it'll generate a few more stares.
Not to mention comments like "Wait...that sounds like an acoustic...but...and what's with all the strings?" :lol:

BAUOOOW
Reaction score
So far, I have gotten pretty much the same reactions as you guys. A lot of the people I would frequently jam with had no idea that I haf gotten a 7 string. So their reactions were priceless...after jamming, I would be like "I love my new guitar sounds great with your 5-string bass" *reply* "You got a new guitar?", LOL! I too have gotten the "why does it have 7 strings?" before as well. I've gotten to the point where I refuse to explain the reasoning behind the 7th string. I do love the "KoRn copier" or "got nu-metal?" comments I get sometimes.

Luckily my axe is a beauty, so I often get compliments on it's looks every time I go out with it. I have converted two friends of mine into 7 stringers because of it. They are now both proud owners of Ibanez 7 strings, and love them. It's great to hear them complain to me about the hassles that some people give them about their guitars, hahahah. We've gone to Sam Ash and Guitar Center with our sevens all at once to try different amps, and we get some looks. :) Latah.

~006+1

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
What's funny is that nobody gives bass players a hard time when they play a 5-string instrument.

cadenhead

Get Some!
Reaction score
Most people don't notice or care too much about the 7 strings. What does get musicians (guitarists in particular) is when they ask what I tune the extra string to. In which I reply, "I tune it to G." As soon as they pick up their chin, they reply, "Why don't you play bass?"

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
People are afraid of what they don't understand. They feel intimidated, that's why they may try to cut you down for playing a 7.

Light it up, and show 'em why you play 7. They'll leave with their tail between their legs. Oh, and the next time you see them, they'll probably have a cheap $200 7-string with them :D

BAUOOOW
Reaction score
Yeah I never thought about the 5-string bass thing. What I think is hilarious is when a musician buys a 5-string bass and then tunes it UP. The point of that is.....? There is a band here in town that does that, the guitars are in C standard, and the bassist uses a 5-string and tunes it up to C. Why not just drop the 6-stringers to B standard...they are already at C. Meh. Latah.

~006+1

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, the 5-string bass is maybe 30 or so years older than the solidbody seven string... And, electric (fretted) basses are enough of an oddity/freakish instrument to begin with. It's not a direct analogy...

...but the reasons why it isn't are obscure enough that it should shut most naysayers up. :lol:

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Also, for some reason 5-string basses are considered "tough" while 7-strings are considered "korn". That has something to do with it to.

That's why it's up to everyone here to change that fucking perception. Korn is not the only band to use 7 string guitars.

')