Reactions to your 7 string?

• Thread starter nyck
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

God Hand Apostle

Tin Foil Central
Reaction score
Well, I just bought a fretless 7 string bass and what I got from someone(someone who is going to buy a 5 string) was, "Dude, your f***n' stupid! That thing is going to sound like mud. Theres no application for that at all."

People are so dumb sometimes. Standard tuning for a 7 string bass is B, E, A, D, G, C and High F (all in fourths). All he did was hear more than 5 strings and wig out. :nuts:

Same thing goes for my MH-307. I'm "so efn' good at guitar" and everyone is happy unitl the LTD comes out. Then it's, "Why do you even have that thing!? You should learn to play the 6 first!"

What constitutes "learn to play the 6 first?" Only Vai can play one...or Rusty...people rag on Rusty for having an 8...has he not "learned" how to play the 7?

Friggn' people man...."ohhh the extra string frightens me.....my vagina hurts ohhhh!"

Sorry for the rant, I've just been subject to this crap since being public with music and not sitting in a room or basement about it.
Gregory J :noplease: lsen

guitarjitsumaster

seven times seven
Reaction score
God Hand Apostle said:
Well, I just bought a fretless 7 string bass and what I got from someone(someone who is going to buy a 5 string) was, "Dude, your f***n' stupid! That thing is going to sound like mud. Theres no application for that at all."

People are so dumb sometimes. Standard tuning for a 7 string bass is B, E, A, D, G, C and High F (all in fourths). All he did was hear more than 5 strings and wig out. :nuts:

Same thing goes for my MH-307. I'm "so efn' good at guitar" and everyone is happy unitl the LTD comes out. Then it's, "Why do you even have that thing!? You should learn to play the 6 first!"

What constitutes "learn to play the 6 first?" Only Vai can play one...or Rusty...people rag on Rusty for having an 8...has he not "learned" how to play the 7?

Friggn' people man...."ohhh the extra string frightens me.....my vagina hurts ohhhh!"

Sorry for the rant, I've just been subject to this crap since being public with music and not sitting in a room or basement about it.
Gregory J :noplease: lsen

Dude, you should know by now when people talk just turn the amp up louder :yesway:

StevieHimself

7-STRING SCORPION
Reaction score
I tell people I play a 7-string and I get met with "WOW SEVEN STRINGS, NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING!" Sometimes I get "I tried one of those things and they're really gay." In either case, it's fun to watch peoples' eyes bug out of their head LOL!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You know, I'm really surprised so many of you have had bad experiences... To begin with, most non-musicians don't even noticehow many strings my guitars have. Of the ones that do, they don't know enough about guitars to associate sevens with Korn. And of the musicians, it's really only the guitarists who care one way or the other - most other musicians I've played with who aren't really up on their guitars have said, "Hey, does that thing have seven strings? Cool." A few guitarists are very vintage-minded, "guitars should only have six strings" types, but seriously, even they aren't bad - guitarists as a rule are all gear whores, so once you just start talking specifications and stuff, even they chill out. and in my experience the majority of guitarists think it's pretty cool to see another unique guitar, too.

ManWithDaPlan

Reaction score
Well, when a six-string purist tries to tell you 'A guitar should only have 6 strings', just mention something like:

"What if guitarists backed down in the 17th century when people like you said 'A guitar should only have 4 strings'?"

Or just tell them to stop being close-minded.

peterchau

Heavy Metal Pirate
Reaction score
"guitars should only have six strings"
I would tell them that alot of classical players from russia used seven string acoutics. and if they are still being an ass, i'd hadokan them in the face

7seven7

Heavy-7-Master
Reaction score
I remember the first night I showed up to band rehearsal with my new 7 string, "I did not tell anybody about it prior to that night!" and about an hour and a half into the rehearsal, my drummer says "man your playing is awsome tonight" and my bass player (plays a 5 string and I usually down tune my 6 string) says "yeah, real phat tone tonight man" I said " yeah, this new 7 string is the shit!" and I can't believe both of thier mouths dropped about 2 inches and said "7 String!!??" Nobody even knew! LMAO!

Anyway, I've only been playing 7 string for a little while and it's really been seamless converting over, I really enjoy the fact that I no longer have to switch between 2 different 6 strings, with my 7 I am able to hit all of the lower registers without having to down tune or anything and really like playing 7 string.

I do not shred, I am not a lead player, I am one hell of a rhythm player, so the 7 fits my bill seamlessly.

Latest posts

')