Reactions to your 7 string?

• Thread starter nyck
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
Just the best ;)

Let's not go down that road, shall we? :D I think the Korn sucks/rules debate is this decade's metal argument. Last decade's metal argument was the Metallica sucks/rules debate.

Metallica seemingly knew about the debate and was nice enough to clear that all up for us on their last 3 albums :fawk:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Drew said:
We'll see, once I start gigging with the CST, though - that thing's total eye candy, it'll generate a few more stares.
:agreed: That is one attractive 7-string. Not to mention how it'll sound live.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
desertdweller said:
Let's not go down that road, shall we? :D I think the Korn sucks/rules debate is this decade's metal argument.

I knew that'd cause some comment :lol:

And Drew...

Drew said:
:fawk: Every band I've ever played in was the ebst to use 7's, foo!

Take it easy on them beers, bro. I'm worried about ya :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
hey, that was the product of a LONG day at the office. Stone cold sober, bro, more's the pity. :lol:

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
Most non musicians (damn civilians) don't notice. A few wannabee guitar players or huge fans of Vai or Petrucci have noticed and think it's cool. I think they though I played better than I can as soon as the realized I play seven.

For the musicians I've encountered, those that didn't know me, it's split equally into two camps. They either assume I am a monster player and need seven strings or that I suck ass and only chug along on the low B all night long. Those that know me can't picture me without one. It's just part of my guitar geek / rocker / deviant personality.

The biggest impact has come to the bassists I've worked with. I kid you not, every bass player I've spent more than a few months working with has gone out and got at least a five string bass. The last guy went out and had to get a six string. He knew that some people used them but didn't understand the applications. He thought they were overkill until he hung out with me long enough to see that the extended ranges can be used musically and subtly.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Christopher said:
The last guy went out and had to get a six string. He knew that some people used them but didn't understand the applications. He thought they were overkill until he hung out with me long enough to see that the extended ranges can be used musically and subtly.

Wait, you ENCOURAGED this?

Bass players should be seen, and only heard when the kick drum's being hit, dammit! :lol:

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
Wait, you ENCOURAGED this?

Bass players should be seen, and only heard when the kick drum's being hit, dammit! :lol:

Actually this guy is the perfect model for how all bass players should be. He is tastey, subtle, and knows exactly when to hold back and when to explode. On a ballad for my buddie's blues CD I even encouraged him to do a fretless bass solo!

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That reminds me of a funny joke i heard a while back...

How many bass players does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Only one, but the guitarist has to show him how.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
darren said:
That reminds me of a funny joke i heard a while back...

How many bass players does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Only one, but the guitarist has to show him how.
The funny/sad part is that part of my technique has come from trying to play clearly so that our bassist can see what notes I'm hitting lol At least when we're first writing the song.

KillMAH

Mr. Fumblefingers
Reaction score
desertdweller said:
Also, for some reason 5-string basses are considered "tough" while 7-strings are considered "korn". That has something to do with it to.

That's why it's up to everyone here to change that fucking perception. Korn is not the only band to use 7 string guitars.

No kidding, Vince. Real bands (no offense to Korn fans) :flame: can shred the hell out of some 7's. How bout some Unearth? Technique and guts. If that's the kind of playing I'm associated with for picking up a 7 string, then I'll be happy. Now all I need to do is practice 10 times more so that I can play it like that once I pick it up. :shred:

Chris D

Fiddich or Morangie???
Reaction score
I ended up having to get a 7-string guitar after I played a 5-string bass for ages...

Before that I used to tune down my 6s for deathmetal, then I played bass in a band doing stuff that was a cross between Primus & early ZZTop, on a 5s which got my head around the lowB thing...

When I got back into guitar again I really missed that extra range so I got into 7s, though I still like my old strat for playing blues.

As far as attitudes/reactions go I agree with the previous posts, it's split between:
A:cool, a 7string!
B:You must play gnUmetal
C:I'm a snob, guitars should only have 6 strings you weirdo.

Anyway who cares ! Just play the thing!!!

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
When the guitar it's unplugged, I hear things like "oh, god that must sound brutal..."
Then, I crank distortion and volume all the way up and blast a crunchy muted riff un the B string... the typical reaction is "woah... it rocks!"

Nats

Reaction score
when i got my 7620 set-up, the guys around were in awe of it. 1) the fact aside from two small dings it's new looking 2) the dual EMG's 3) and i quote "this is the real deal, not like that overpriced piece of garbage K7"

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
With me the reaction is: " Why the fuck are you adding another string when you can't even play the other six?"

Shithead2.JPG

Reaction score
i was reading on another music forum (which i wont mention)
and this dude was all like "a guitar cant have an odd number of strings because it throws off the balance." :wallbash:
every time that i used to play my dean avalanche7(gone) on gigs, everyone would be like," WTF is wrong with you?"

')