Really bad pain in my fingering hand *Due to guitar*

• Thread starter Philippe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philippe

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would normally practice guitar for a couple of hours a day but starting about a week ago Iv'e been playing for about 10 hours a day working really hard on my rhythm playing and speed in general. I had to stop playing last night because there was pain in between my knuckles and I woke up this morning and the pain is still present. Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce this pain? Should I take it easy for a bit, do hand stretches, particular warm up exercises, take certain pills?

I'm looking for any advice that can help, I'm really motivated to improve my playing and I don't want this joint pain to be an obstacle in my goal to improve heavily.

Thank you everyone:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

orakle

djentleman
Reaction score
Dude 10 hours straight is completely crazy, you're overplaying and this is really bad for your articulations and muscles.

I would say, take a break, maybe 5-6 days without playing, doing really light stretches and applying some ice to sensitive areas for 12-13 minutes maybe twice a day.

Pills won't help curring the pain, however it's gonna hide it for a while if it's really too much.

You have to practice about 3-4 hours MAX a day, take some rest...tommorow is still there ;D

nojyeloot

Reaction score
Sounds like tendonitis. Drs tell me to take a 2-3wk break (rest) when this happens, to settle the inflammation.

10 hours is a terribly long time to punish your body, day to day.

I recommend stretching WELL before and after you practice

steve1

Reaction score
while i respect your dedication, you should cut down the hours. stop playing now, and don't start again until you have fully healed, otherwise its going to be an ongoing problem.

Ibruprofen is good for inflammation. If you take pain relief dont forget that it only hides the pain, the damage is still there, so don't be tempted to play just because it doesn't hurt.

Hope you heal quickly!

niffnoff

Just another SunBro
Reaction score
10 hours a day is like doing weights over your size and your body can do it maybe once or twice. But then one rep and it's gonna basically reject it and you buckle. Your hand has basically now said STOP EET!

If your hand feels numb aswell, I suggest stop playing as it can last a few weeks (or even months) stretch your hand now and then but don't do nothing to harsh. You could really mess your muscles up. Treat them like a work out.

Warm Up > Guitar 1 hour - 3 hours Max with regular intervals (2-3 minute) > Cool down (stretches, massage)

Your muscles need to heal, so to get stronger for your next intense session.
You don't wanna be out for the count for doing somethin ST00PID!

Philippe

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the helpful tips guys. What you guys said makes sense, it's the long run that counts so I'll do my best to stop playing when I feel pain and take breaks more often :D

F0rte

Wood Whore
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would normally practice guitar for a couple of hours a day but starting about a week ago Iv'e been playing for about 10 hours a day working really hard on my rhythm playing and speed in general. I had to stop playing last night because there was pain in between my knuckles and I woke up this morning and the pain is still present. Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce this pain? Should I take it easy for a bit, do hand stretches, particular warm up exercises, take certain pills?

I'm looking for any advice that can help, I'm really motivated to improve my playing and I don't want this joint pain to be an obstacle in my goal to improve heavily.

Thank you everyone:hbang:

If it's your fingering hand, I would think yes; tendinitis.
Do you hold stress your hand when your playing?
Or I actually should ask, do you flex your hand when your playing? Rather than letting the guitar sit lightly? Or grip it a lot?

I used to have a bad habit of holding the guitar really tight whilst playing. This is a terribly bad habit and can result in hand deficiencies.

I would suggest a week or so long break until the pain has completely subsided, maybe a bit longer even can't hurt.

After you should work on letting the guitar sit rather than gripping the neck.

But, if this isn't you, then I'm not exactly sure!

Good luck and I hope your hand pain subsides!

troyguitar

Reaction score
You can play for 10 hours but you have to work up to it slowly and make sure to develop an effortless technique. I envy you for having 10 hours of free time :lol:

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Everyone's advice:

Stop playing for a few weeks so your body can heal.

Your response:

Thanks a lot for the helpful tips guys. What you guys said makes sense, it's the long run that counts so I'll do my best to stop playing when I feel pain and take breaks more often :D

I'm going nuts recovering from hand surgery, but am not doing anything which will screw up my ability to play once I recover.

Having been in your place, I can tell you, if you don't let it heal, you'll regret it.

But... they're not my hands, and it won't be me who loses flexibility and dexterity through a bad decision like not letting the damage heal.

Good luck with that!

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ What Explorer said is nothing but the truth.

Just stop playing for several days, possibly a couple weeks. Pain in your hands is your worst enemy. If you don't let it heal completely, then you will terribly regret it.

I honestly don't think that playing 10 hours a day can do you any good. You're just wearing your muscles out, and they don't have enough time to recover. Rest is as essential, if not more essential, than practicing. Muscle memory builds up while your body rests.

Hope you have a good recovery with no side effects! :)

Philippe

Reaction score
I try not to grip the guitar tightly because it doesn't feel comfortable and if I do my hand gets tired way to quickly. I started doing the hand stretches from the youtube vid and it seems to help. I will keep doing them regularly and I will be more careful of the strain that I put upon them.

For those wondering why I have some much free time its due to the fact that I am studying guitar so I can pretty much focus all my energy and time on it.

Thanks again

InertSolo

Reaction score
Why not use this time to work on things that don't require you to play your guitar like ear training? Seriously, don't think that you're something special and won't get yourself hurt if you play while there's pain specifically from Guitar practice. Not playing for a couple days isn't going to hurt you.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
That pain might be what we call fatigue. You should try doing other things with your day like go on a walk, talk to a girl, watch some tv, put on some music and dance around... Something other than play your guitar for literally just under half your day. :yesway:

niffnoff

Just another SunBro
Reaction score
That pain might be what we call fatigue. You should try doing other things with your day like go on a walk, talk to a girl, watch some tv, put on some music and dance around... Something other than play your guitar for literally just under half your day. :yesway:

In short.

Get a life ;)

Oh and stop playing guitar while your still in pain, until you are 100% pain free STOP :nono:. Being deadly serious on this point.

Gravy

Reaction score
I cannot reiterate enough what everyone has said and stop playing for a little bit. I got pretty bad RSI a few years ago and stopped playing for an entire week. Looking back that wasn't really enough.

You probably don't have optimal technique either. You can play for 10 hours a day if you have a good technique and nothing bad will happen. One of the big reasons I got RSI was because I had a terrible seating position when playing, which then affected my arm/hand. It didn't make a difference until I really started to push myself and do a lot more practice.

If you're not warming up (at least an hour for 10 hours of practice) and taking breaks ever 45 mins/hour you need to start doing that right away. Even spreading practice into two chunks either side of your day may help.

Lagtastic

Five Align
Reaction score
Lots of good advice here, but here is something most people forget, diet!

Playing that much puts large amounts of stress on your hands and arms. I'm not saying change your diet completely. You don't have to give up the cheeseburgers, all I am saying is add some green veggies and a banana to your diet every day. A glass of V8 won't hurt either. Without the nutrients to repair itself and grow, your body will take much longer to recover.

Murmel

Reaction score
Also remember that it's not really necessary to practice for 10 hours. Your body learns as it rests.

')