Really bummed out about my new Carvin...

• Thread starter ballstix
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not to mention, why would someone bring it to a luthier if they checked the frets and they were level + it intonates fine and such? (This being based on the assumption that it does intonate fine and no notes are off-pitch)

Well, seeing as there is some serious red flags, getting a second opinion, seems like the best course of action.

As much as I'm inclined to believe ballstix doesn't know how to use a straight edge (no offense bro, just saying :)) and Carvin fucked up, as it's not impossible, over all most of the problems, even from the very beginning, seem to stem from the luthier's assessments. He could be on the ball, but I'm the kind of person who trusts my own eyes and hands, so if I was the OP I'd get a second opinion ASAP, even if it means shelling out a little extra cash to do a rush appointment.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If someone tells me the majority of guitars (sans only ONE entire brand) suffer from uneven frets, they're about as irrationally 'cork sniffer' as it gets, they're lying or they don't know what they're talking about.

ballstix

Reaction score
Took it to another guy. The fret rocker he used wobbled a little on one of the lower frets in the treble region; iirc I only checked the bass region. He said he'd want to do a fret mill to address the problem and focus on the higher frets because the curvature of the neck is slightly u-shaped so the high frets need to be a little lower to compensate (or something to that degree).

Anyway I think the first luthier was saying that he'd seen just about every guitar brand with guitars that DO need fret leveling (and does often), not that every single individual guitar from every non-PRS brand needs it.

Regardless, both luthiers said they'd want to do the same thing with the guitar. This other guy seemed a little more down-to-earth with his assessment, and took his time with the thing.

First guy:
Older, has 35 years of experience, looked down the neck to see uneven frets, didn't bother with tools, works with all stringed instruments (guitars, violins, etc etc)

Second guy:
Probably about 35 years old, used fret rocker and tools, works more exclusively with guitars and basses.

I'm going to get a third opinion, too, but how would you go about picking a luthier for a job on your precious axe?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Took it to another guy. The fret rocker he used wobbled a little on one of the lower frets in the treble region; iirc I only checked the bass region. He said he'd want to do a fret mill to address the problem and focus on the higher frets because the curvature of the neck is slightly u-shaped so the high frets need to be a little lower to compensate (or something to that degree).

Anyway I think the other luthier was saying that he'd seen just about every guitar brand with guitars that DO need fret leveling, not that every single individual guitar from every non-PRS brand needs it.

Regardless, both luthiers said they'd want to do the same thing with the guitars. This other guy seemed a little more down-to-earth with his assessment, and took his time with the thing.

First guy:
Older, has 35 years of experience, looked down the neck to see uneven frets, didn't bother with tools, works with all stringed instruments (guitars, violins, etc etc)

Second guy:
Probably about 35 years old, used fret rocker and tools, works more exclusively with guitars and basses.

I'm going to get a third opinion, too, but how would you go about picking a luthier for a job on your precious axe?

I think the best way to put it would be, doing something for 35 years doesn't mean a thing if you're doing it wrong. Not to say the older tech is doing anything wrong, but at the end of the day, eyes and hands can only do so much without a good set of tools, and the willingness and ability to use them properly.

As far as picking who to perform the work, go with who you feel more confident with. As well as those whose portfolio you feel shows that they'll do a better job. Play some of the guitars that the techs have worked on (preferably for similar jobs) and see which you feel is best.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Or, you know, send the fucking thing back to Carvin :lol: Honestly, if they sent you the SAME guitar back with fucked up fretwork, I'd be sending it right the fuck back, or asking for a rebuild. How uneven are the frets? How far down is he going to have to take them? Are jumbo's going to feel like mediums when he's done? Is it stainless steel fret wire or will you have to redo this in 10 years? Because you can only level/crown frets so many times... They've already been leveled/crowned at the factory (theoretically) and if your luthier takes them down a ways to correct something, that's even more life gone out of them.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
This is a bummer... Although it's very strange. I got my DC727 on Friday (still on the 10 day trial period) and so far it plays, looks, and feels perfectly. I've inspected it intensely and I haven't found one flaw yet. I always try to get many opinions, including my own, before I jump to conclusions; my Carvin has been inspected by a couple luthiers, and several of my friends have tried it before I finally concluded it was in perfect condition. Are you positive it's not the strings? Mine buzzed like hell when I first got it, but it has faded away, as the strings have already "aged" with my hand's oils.

However, Carvin should be able to fix it if you find the specific problems and point them out to them, regardless of how many times you have to send it. Then again, you won't waste 6 months waiting for it to be perfectly repaired... But that's too beautiful a guitar not to keep it man! Make sure to get that fixed, I really wouldn't get it rid of it! But that's just me. I hope you get it sorted out man!:agreed::yesway:

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
But that's too beautiful a guitar not to keep it man! Make sure to get that fixed, I really wouldn't get it rid of it! But that's just me. I hope you get it sorted out man!:agreed::yesway:

beautiful playing guitar > beautiful looking guitar.

to the OP. seriously dude, you shouldn't have to be putting up all this extra cash up to get a US made semi-custom guitar to play well. tell Carvin to get it right, or give you a refund. i don't care how nice the guitar looks, if it doesn't feel and play right, it's worthless.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

to the OP. seriously dude, you shouldn't have to be putting up all this extra cash up to get a US made semi-custom guitar to play well. tell Carvin to get it right, or give you a refund. i don't care how nice the guitar looks, if it doesn't feel and play right, it's worthless.

+1 :agreed:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

This man speaks the truth. :agreed:

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score

Actually, yes, you got a point there, I think I got carried away by the awesome looks of it:lol:... I'm guessing it's not worth to pay extra money to get it fixed, when it was supposed to come already set-up, fixed, and ready to play.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
if you have a 10-days return guarantee thingy, you have exceeded it a bit.

That might be a problem now....

did you contact them to talk to them about it?

ballstix

Reaction score
Bart at Carvin sales is just about the nicest sales guy ever, and he said I could take my time with it and not to worry about the 10-day trial. He told me to send it in one last time and if they don't get it right that I will have no problem getting a refund.

I feel a bit dumb for doing it, but I guess I will send it in again and I'll write them a stern note telling them to get it right.

Hope it magically works out, but I'm not banking on anything :rolleyes:

onefingersweep

Reaction score
Carvin's quality control isn't the best. I've only bought one guitar from them, a DC727 and it was setup flawlessly, incredible intonation and low action but still not too low, perfect fretwork. Was perfect for me. However my guitar had a few small dents on the fretboard, I have read several people who got their Carvin's like this also so I know they don't have the best quality control. Otherwise the guitar was flawless, except for one tiny thing more, when they removed the masking tape after finishing they worked too hard with the razorblade so it's a scratch right where the neck joins the body. It's nothing you see. Since I live on the other side of the ocean I didn't even bother to send it back, I didn't even mention it. I probably could have got a bit of $$ back if I did since their customer service is really good. I didn't bother, the guitar sounds and feels amazing, has one of the best necks I ever played and the loudest and most clear sound I ever heard from a solidbody guitar.

Only thing that I'm dissatisfied with is that they didn't take a photograph of the guitar and showed me the flaws. If they would have been great they would have done that and offered me the guitar for a discount. Thats what they should have done. A new guitar should be spotless.

Latest posts

')