Really bummed out about my new Carvin...

• Thread starter ballstix
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Despite paying $100 for an R50 I ended up with a 14" nut on a 20" neck BUT to be fair....everything else was perfect. For the most part Carvin do churn out instrument after instrument without issue but of course a few will fall through the cracks.

Perhaps we're just seeing a lot more people being prepared to mention the faults lately and that perceived QC issue along with....certain other decisions they've made as a company has soured their image.

I'd buy another if I lived in the US or Canada.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ballstix

Reaction score
Did you say it was buzzing open strings? That's your big give-away there... I had to shim the heck out of the nut on my used RG7620 to minimize open buzz and the high B string still does a little.

I specifically mentioned that it was cut too low, and open strings pretty obviously buzzed. Anyway, I'll be getting it back later to day so I can report on how they handled it.

GoreNotCore

Reaction score
that sucks, they spit a mean game. talkin about using diamond precision grinders to ensure the fretboard is perfect n shit. what the fuck carvin

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I specifically mentioned that it was cut too low, and open strings pretty obviously buzzed. Anyway, I'll be getting it back later to day so I can report on how they handled it.

Heh... when they say they dressed the frets let's hope they didn't file them all lower rather than just put in a new nut LOL. But that would make no sense whatsoever since it would be far more work than just putting in a new nut.

But hey... if it comes back and you still feel the nut is too low take it to a shop and have them put in a new nut, usually no more than $100 to do. You could even do it yourself and save the cash if you're comfortable with your abilities.

Rev.

ballstix

Reaction score
Well fuck, I got it back and it's maybe a little bit better, but definitely still buzzing both open and fretted strings, a lot. :( Any suggestions?

One strike, okay, I can deal with a few more weeks for them to fix it, but twice? WTF, Carvin.

Nonservium

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
Maybe put a new nut on and mail them the old one back to them in a huge box of bricks that is c.o.d.? Or just get a refund cause that's bullshit.

ballstix

Reaction score
I think my gameplan is to call them up tomorrow and ask for a refund. It's been well over 10 days, but most of it was shipping it to and from and the secondary servicing. I love how the guitar looks and feels otherwise, but yeah this is BS.

If they take it back I'll have around $2k towards a different 7 :\

Guess I'll start hunting?

Issor

Reaction score
I think that the 10 day policy only applies to ten days when it's actually in your possession.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
If it's simply a matter of a nut cut a little too low, I wouldn't return it just for that. Any guitar store could fix that, or hell, do it yourself to taste. Also check the truss rod and shit, they may have set it up, but who knows what kind of climate changes it went through.

If the frets are uneven, then yeah, that's ridiculous. The rest is standard set up shit though.

lateralus819

Mr. legacy
Reaction score
This kinda shit makes me wonder wtf is going on there. Do they even test them out thoroughly before shipping? :|

My carvin was flawless. They seem to have a lot of inconsistency there.

ballstix

Reaction score
If it's simply a matter of a nut cut a little too low, I wouldn't return it just for that. Any guitar store could fix that, or hell, do it yourself to taste. Also check the truss rod and shit, they may have set it up, but who knows what kind of climate changes it went through.

If the frets are uneven, then yeah, that's ridiculous. The rest is standard set up shit though.

I'm not convinced that it's just the nut. It's buzzing everywhere; wouldn't a low-cut nut really just affect the open strings? And yeah I've adjusted the truss rod with no luck.

ballstix

Reaction score
Yeah I raised them to ridiculous heights just to see if I could get the buzzing to stop (regardless of it being playable <_<), still no progress.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
send it back and get a full refund. For $2,000 you can grab one of Zimbloths Ricos in his latest run or a KXK.
I sold my Carvin to fund my rico..:agreed:

ballstix

Reaction score
Well, they do look nice...but my Carvin is my baby, even if it's a broken baby :(

What in the fuck could be the problem if insane amounts of neck relief and saddle height don't do the trick? The frets were allegedly addressed; that leaves, what, a warped neck? (it isn't warped)

blurghghghghghghghghghgh

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, they do look nice...but my Carvin is my baby, even if it's a broken baby :(

What in the fuck could be the problem if insane amounts of neck relief and saddle height don't do the trick? The frets were allegedly addressed; that leaves, what, a warped neck? (it isn't warped)

blurghghghghghghghghghgh

Did you use a straight edge to check to see if the frets are level?

ballstix

Reaction score
Yeah they're nice and level as far as my straightedge can tell. Most electrics that I play do buzz a little since I pick really hard and tend to like low action, but it's nowhere near this bad...I'd be fine with a little buzz.

')