Really cool Greg Howe lesson in Guitar Player

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
UPDATE: This lesson has inspired sooooo many new ideas since I went through it. I've even started to incorporate the middle finger of the picking hand into my playing more (I've always used it a little bit, but never really developed it).

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
I hate to be an ass, but especially today, shouldn't most of what he's doing that's supposedly special be common sense?

(Especially) after the advent of two handed tapping, using your left hand to open on a new string in a legato manner just makes sense. The same goes for hybrid picking for anyone who has ever had any experience with classical guitar, at all.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Apparently Greg's used a hair-tie as a dampener ever since Jason Becker showed him how to use one to clean up tricky parts while recording when he produced the second Howe II album. It's ended up being an integral part of his approach, as a lot of the legato and tapping techniques he uses now require the dampener to get them really clean.

I hate to be an ass, but especially today, shouldn't most of what he's doing that's supposedly special be common sense?

(Especially) after the advent of two handed tapping, using your left hand to open on a new string in a legato manner just makes sense. The same goes for hybrid picking for anyone who has ever had any experience with classical guitar, at all.

Usually yes, but it's amazing how many people still haven't picked up on this stuff. I don't think Greg's really claiming what he's doing is particularly revolutionary (he almost always mentions Firkins, Garsed and Kotzen as the guys he picked up the hybrid picking approach from when it comes up in interviews); it's just a way of making certain licks sound a lot more fluid.
I've always changed strings with hammer-ons, almost since I started playing, just because, like you said, it seemed like common sense, but Greg often comes up with some new ways of using it to get around the fretboard that I probably wouldn't have thought of. It's just little bits of technical sleight-of-hand that I find really useful.
Scott Mishoe has a lot of really amazing ideas in this vein as well, but he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth recently.

MetalSir

ESP Fanatic
Reaction score
Great man..:scream:

i love this thing (is a mine transcription from an his esercise during the ses in russia):

63uw3ud.jpg

you can invert the pattner and make one passage on the A string and 2 passage on the highE string :shred:

:scream:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
33246cde91f86cf7.bmp

A little pattern I've been playing with using the hybrid-picking/legato approach Greg explains in the original article. It's actually based on a Steve Morse lick, that he'd usually play with strict alternate picking, but I like the keyboard-like tone this approach produces.

MetalSir

ESP Fanatic
Reaction score
ok guyZ look at this stuffs from Greg Howe Workshop (Russia 2004), tabbed by me..

he does it at 160bpm.. :scream:
628wrc4.jpg

Gilbucci

Dude..for real?
Reaction score
33246cde91f86cf7.bmp

A little pattern I've been playing with using the hybrid-picking/legato approach Greg explains in the original article. It's actually based on a Steve Morse lick, that he'd usually play with strict alternate picking, but I like the keyboard-like tone this approach produces.
Very cool lick! I've made a really cool alternate picking exercise out of that. I'll post it in a sec.

Edit: Enjoy!

Attachments

• Alt. Picking Etude.ptb
    975 bytes · Views: 27

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
33246cf9ee68cbe7.bmp

Here's another pattern I really like. This would be really good for adapting violin or keyboard pieces that feature big open-voiced arpeggios, such as Paganini's Caprice #1.

MetalSir

ESP Fanatic
Reaction score
ok guyZ look at this stuffs from Greg Howe Workshop (Russia 2004), tabbed by me..

he does it at 160bpm.. :scream:
628wrc4.jpg

mmmm.. i make an interesting variation on this thing.. play it in quartin adding the open string.. for example (tap on fret 8&9):

E-0-2-8-2---------
B---------0-3-9-3-

and so on.. forgive my rude tab.. XD

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
You can get an interesting modal sound using that tapping pattern by assigning a different arpeggio to each hand, for example, getting a Dorian sound by highlighting a minor arpeggio with the left hand, and a major arpeggio a fourth higher using the tapped notes.:shred:

MetalSir

ESP Fanatic
Reaction score
You can get an interesting modal sound using that tapping pattern by assigning a different arpeggio to each hand, for example, getting a Dorian sound by highlighting a minor arpeggio with the left hand, and a major arpeggio a fourth higher using the tapped notes.:shred:

mmm.. something like this?

is the second x-ercise of..

')