Really LEARNING the guitar...

• Thread starter Ram150023
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
Evenin' folks...

I recently aquired an RG8 and it dawned on me... My "playing" for years isnt what you would call actual musicianship. Having the biggest or best gear doesnt automatically mean "you can play".

A very nice conversation with Trent Hafdahl on being able to "play his music"... The answer he gave me was "lots of practice". Hahaha In retrospect... Dammit that was the easy answer out :lol:

Yeah i can play a couple songs here and there... I can fiddle around and kick a nice riff or two... But to REALLY play... Thats what im missing.

Of all the reading on this forum... The theory, scales, modes... Its head spinning. Hell I can't even read music. And that, per my feeling, is a down right disgrace.

Everything ive done for years is to listen to the "lowest note" in a song... Tune my guitar to it and then pick the song from there. Youtube and google also helps in figuring things out

I want to KNOW a guitar... No matter how many strings. I want to logically understand, in "laymans" terms what the modes, scales, notes mean and how they coorelate to each other. I want to be able to fret a note and be able to say "yep thats _"... Or be able to run a scale / arpeggio in _. Hell sweep picking is "super advanced" for me.

Yes ive googled, read for hours... But nothing is sinking in as to the "why?".

Long story short... Where the hell do i "begin again"? Starting from scratch is hard because of what i do know...
But advancing into the "next level" seems very daunting due to the lack of a focus.

Any help and constructive thoughts are much appreciated!

:metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
I am in a similar boat like you (for entirely different reasons though), music theory helps you certainly play certain types of music. Others it doesn't. I think music comes from a fundamental place of emotion, to start with that and learn everything else according to that purpose is one way to go about it.

DeanLamb

Reaction score
Evenin' folks...

I recently aquired an RG8 and it dawned on me... My "playing" for years isnt what you would call actual musicianship. Having the biggest or best gear doesnt automatically mean "you can play".

A very nice conversation with Trent Hafdahl on being able to "play his music"... The answer he gave me was "lots of practice". Hahaha In retrospect... Dammit that was the easy answer out :lol:

Yeah i can play a couple songs here and there... I can fiddle around and kick a nice riff or two... But to REALLY play... Thats what im missing.

Of all the reading on this forum... The theory, scales, modes... Its head spinning. Hell I can't even read music. And that, per my feeling, is a down right disgrace.

Everything ive done for years is to listen to the "lowest note" in a song... Tune my guitar to it and then pick the song from there. Youtube and google also helps in figuring things out

I want to KNOW a guitar... No matter how many strings. I want to logically understand, in "laymans" terms what the modes, scales, notes mean and how they coorelate to each other. I want to be able to fret a note and be able to say "yep thats _"... Or be able to run a scale / arpeggio in _. Hell sweep picking is "super advanced" for me.

Long story short... Where the hell do i "begin again"? Starting from scratch is hard because of what i do know...
But advancing into the "next level" seems very daunting due to the lack of a focus.

Dude!

Here's a few tips for you that I've found super helpful:

- Make instagram/youtube videos. Taking your idea or cover to a point of "finished product" and then putting it out there for people to see is a huge part of getting better with your instrument. You might get criticism, or you might get praise. Either way, the process of taking an idea from beginning to "end" is super important.

- Find a mentor. You might have a friend that's really good, or someone in your family that is a sick pianist or something, but a mentor should be someone you look up to, and not necessarily a "peer." This person could be your ticket to a newfound passion for practice, or open your eyes to ideas you've never thought of before.

- Practice a .... ton. This is seemingly self-explanatory, however "practice" is pretty hard to do efficiently. Figure out how you learn, and use that to understand your mental cycle during the learning process.

- Take lessons! This is a good way through to a new level of playing, if you have the right teacher. PM me for more details ;)

Hope this helped!
Dean

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
Dude!

Here's a few tips for you that I've found super helpful:

- Make instagram/youtube videos. Taking your idea or cover to a point of "finished product" and then putting it out there for people to see is a huge part of getting better with your instrument. You might get criticism, or you might get praise. Either way, the process of taking an idea from beginning to "end" is super important.

- Find a mentor. You might have a friend that's really good, or someone in your family that is a sick pianist or something, but a mentor should be someone you look up to, and not necessarily a "peer." This person could be your ticket to a newfound passion for practice, or open your eyes to ideas you've never thought of before.

- Practice a .... ton. This is seemingly self-explanatory, however "practice" is pretty hard to do efficiently. Figure out how you learn, and use that to understand your mental cycle during the learning process.

- Take lessons! This is a good way through to a new level of playing, if you have the right teacher. PM me for more details ;)

Hope this helped!
Dean

Thank you for the well thought reply!

Ive always wanted to post vids and such... Might do one for giggles to see how it goes.

The mentor aspect is a bit short... My ol' man plays piano... Ill have to pick his mind (no pun :lol:)

Practice. I know with some research... Theres "good" practice and "bad" practice. I believe this is related to the how one practices more than the what. But what equates quality practice?

Trust me... Id LOVE lessons. But ive looked locally... $$$$$! I need to become a music instructor for some of the fees!

And absolutely ill hit you up in PM for other tidbits! Thank you again! :hbang:

Lasik124

Reaction score
I give almost everyone the same advice, and I know it seems simple....but it really did wonders for me!

And that is simple, learn your scales.

Learn your major/minor.

Learn your pentatonics.

Learn a box or two a day. There is only really I'd say 10 to learn in both of those for the gist.

You'll be able to start improvising whether it be riffs or solos.
You'll see how a lot of your favorite songs/riffs/solos are written.
You'll even eventually have a base which to see intervals and the relationship of them.
You'll as well have a base in which to practice techniques and have notes go together.

Start in just one key. Stick to that key for a month at least. Hell, when I was a kid I played E minor for years.

If you play an 8 string maybe start in F# minor.

Best of luck with your guitar adventures :agreed:

Vladissonance

Reaction score
cool topic. my view on this...well, most of the musicians, most of the guitarists are self taught and in 2016 when the internet is prevailing seams like a good idea. But it can be overwhelming. Too much info, too many different opinions from people with skill, but no true information. Find a teacher, a good one. I can't speak other then my experience. I am working with a guitar teacher. He is guiding me not only in understanding the guitar as an instrument but building up my overall music understanding. What you were asking, the understanding of modes, arpeggios, triades and where do they meat and what they have in common. How to aproach a chord progression, how to develop it. Why x note sounds in a certain way near the y note. To me this is good theory. Then...the way you practice this...is the true you. Look at it as passion for sounds, not as mechanical exercises. Even if at the end it's just physical activity to make strong neuronal connections between your brain and certain fine hand muscles and tendons and this can take even a life time. And you have the freedom to play around with it as much as time permits to develop certain fine fast moves(sweep picking, alternate or economy or tapping or whatever. Music is in us and ...what makes the music is the silence in betwen the sounds. We just have to know the devices to use to tune in and hum with the universe.
I prefer to stay and practice note after note scales and arpeggios at low speed and gradually push it faster them read things over the internet. It's time consuming. Why not let a guitar teacher (one with some diplomas) show you the way how to become the musician you want? Now there is the online alternative as well, you can get personalized guitar lessons from some of the best guitar players out there (Paul Gilbert, Frank Gambale,Guthrie Govan, Christian Muenzner, Luca Turilli, Tom Hess, Fred Brum etc - you name it, depends on your style preference).
All the best in your search!

extendedsolo

Reaction score
Evenin' folks...

Can we talk about this quote for a second?

"My "playing" for years isnt what you would call actual musicianship. Having the biggest or best gear doesnt automatically mean "you can play"."

I feel like this needs to be said to every person who is looking at buying a new instrument over actually playing. Yes I will agree that different guitars inspire you in different ways, but man is that 3000 dollar Strandberg really going to put you over the top unless you already have your .... in order?

I feel like you are already on the right track with trying to figure stuff out by ear, that's the most important thing ever in music. Theory,scales, chords etc yeah it's one thing to be able to play them it's another to know what their quality sounds like and use your ear to determine when/where to use it. This is why jazz is so hard because there is SOO much going on in a song, let alone different artists take on the original!

What it really boils down to is being able to add something to any situation you are in. Yes there are guys out there that don't know much but can blend in because they know how to converse in the language of music. It's from playing a lot with others and stretching your boundaries. Letting their ear guide them (although if your ear doesn't have many sounds it's going to be tough sledding).

Do not spend time worrying about sweep picking unless you feel like the song calls for it. If anything 3 or 4 string sweeps are all you need. What it really sounds like is you are looking for YOUR sound what YOU want to accomplish. Pick a general goal and stick with it. like "I want to get a good improviser!" (which IMO most rock musicians this should be a goal).

Things I would suggest to really KNOW your instrument. these are all basic

Learn every note on the fretboard.
Learn all your intervals on your instrument and the sound.
Learn all the major scales, note names, mode names and how they are related. (Pick patterns that you like Jimmy Bruno has like 4 or 5 he uses and it's super helpful)
When you learn a solo, learn the backing also. Say "ok this is what is being played, why does this sound good over this or that?" It helps you know where to land.
ALWAYS PLAY WITH A METRONOME. Playing with recordings is good, but masks your weaknesses.

The most important ones.
BE PREPARED TO SUCK. If you can play already you should feel like you are sucking and uncomfortable or else you are never going to get better. When practicing everything should be "new". When playing though (other people, band, songs you know etc) that's when you forget everything you have practiced.
Practice a lot. I know some people think an hour a day is a lot. AT LEAST an hour a day. Most days 2-4 hours at least. As much as you can otherwise. Trent Hafdahl didn't get to where he is by not writing/practicing/refining songs when he felt like it.
Lastly, pick one or two things to focus on. say "I'm going to figure out this run today" and do it. Engrain it. It's a YEARS thing not a day thing. Eventually you will learn faster it DOES get easier in some regards

EDIT: I just reread your post and you've said you've "googled and read for hours" STOP! Someone above me said said to learn a box and pentatonics in a key for a month or something along those lines (should be singing the pentatonic scale to really engrain that sound). Pretty soon you'll be able to hear when solos are pentatonic all over the radio! YES focus hard on one thing. I mean you can accomplish multiple things in a practice session but don't jump around. Don't hit a road block and google something else to learn. I usually practice something until I start seeing diminishing returns (about 20 or 30 minutes) and then I move onto another thing. Theoretically I would be doing 2-4 things a day. You have to figure out the best way to practice for you.

')