Really need help with expanding my chops

• Thread starter will_shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
My playing has been at a stand still, for about a year now. For a few reasons.

1. I've had 3 music teachers (all well renowned professionals in my area) and despite their efforts none of them have been able to to teach me basic theory type stuff, so I've concluded that my brain just doesn't work with music theory, so fuck it.

2. Learning new songs bores me, I really don't like learning other peoples things. I did enough of that already, in most cases I'll just figure out how to play a riff from a song if I really like it.

3. I'm not naturally creative, I never have been. I just fucking love music, and when I do manage to yank a song out of my brain it actually ends up pretty good.

Plus when it comes to variety in playing I have none. i'm good at soloing, just terrible at rhythm playing. I have a good ear, and good enough chops (nothing compared to most of you guys though :bowdown:). Just not the creativity to make music.

It's getting to the point where I pretty much play in order to make sure I don't lose what little chops i have. It's hardly fun anymore. I've tried listening to more music, playing new Genres, playing around with tones, watching documentaries on things i'd like to write about (mostly historical). Nothing.

EDIT: thanks for all the advice, you're all awesome :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
You sound like me!
Do you have the means to record yourself? Start getting into production. Write some songs then work on mixing them yourself. That has upped my level of interest in guitar again by a big shot. Still not good at learning other peoples music. But I'm becoming a better player for wanting my mixes to sound better/different/cleaner/tighter.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
My usual suggestion to people on here is to chop things they already know how to play into chunks (or phrases) and rearrange them. Try reversing the note order of some of them, try inverting intervals (i.e. if one section goes from C up to E, try going from C down to the E below it) and see how that affects it. You'll expand your musical vocabulary and have a bit more to work with to get you started on writing things more regularly.

It might not be that you're not naturally creative but just have higher standards than you are currently able to meet. Just keep breaking down the music you like and learn as much from it as possible.

For your rhythm playing, it may take really simplifying things below your current lead playing ability, so far as close to beginner level to fill any gaps in your ability. Lots of lead stuff is pretty constant so rhythmic variation is often very limited. Rhythm playing often relies on gaps (rests) and varied note durations which I can see some people finding more difficult if they're more physical than mental: speed can be learned by muscle development fairly absent mindedly by timing perception can take some focussed concentration. Take it down to learning some rhythmic theory, such as playing on the beat consistently, counting along then deciding which beat to miss out (rest on) and play the remaining beats. Working on muting well on the rest will be useful for your rhythm playing. You can then move on to playing divisions of the beat consistently then try missing one or two out at a time. Try missing out a few at various points in the bar. Once this is working well, try using a mix of full beats and half beats, but not necessarily starting on the beat i.e. if the 1st half of beat 1 is called 0, 2nd half of beat one is called 0.5, first half of beat 2 is called 1, 2nd half of beat 2 is called 1.5 then try picking a note on 0.5 (the 2nd half of beat 1) and holding it (without picking again) over the duration of beat 2. Then try it again but trim it back so that you rest on 1.5 (the 2nd half of beat 2). The rhythm you're now playing is half a beat, whole beat, half a beat. These sorts of rhythms will pop up regularly.

This sort of exercise will get you working on writing rhythms, as well, which will help. If you wanna give theory another go, give my book a go (linked in my sig) or contact me about some lessons through Skype. I'll happily give you a hand with the book if you're stuck with it, as well.

Hope that helps. :)

metallkrieg

Reaction score
Some tips that I practice myself:

- If you don't like to learn other people's songs, don't do it. Learn only the interesting/challenging parts.

- Forget about your perceived quality of your compositions. Just compose. For now, it doesn't matter if you don't think it's good enough. You're not [insert awesome band of choice]. With time, you'll get there, practice makes perfect.

- Compose things that are just above your skill level. A riff that you can't play in the desired tempo but that with a week or two of practice you know you'll get there.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
You could try mimicking styles that are very rhythm based.

Try writing Fear Factory riffs or Strapping Youn Lad type stuff.

Even something like Korn, In Flames, old Metallica etc.

8last

Reaction score
Do you have friends who play? That helps a lot to be around people that can shred because that natural need to compete will make you a better player when you know you have to be. It's not the same as getting a teacher.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Do you have friends who play? That helps a lot to be around people that can shred because that natural need to compete will make you a better player when you know you have to be. It's not the same as getting a teacher.

actually all of my friends are guitar players or some kind of musician. Just none of em want to jam with me :squint:, besides my band mates obviously. But i'm the helping our singer/2nd guitar player improve because he's only been playing for about a year and a half.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
You could try mimicking styles that are very rhythm based.

Try writing Fear Factory riffs or Strapping Youn Lad type stuff.

Even something like Korn, In Flames, old Metallica etc.

Yeah I've done stuff like that, even tried tabbing some of Keith Merrow's work, thats always fun :lol:

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Work on your rhythm chops exclusively. Listen to some Punk, Thrash, grind, whatever bands where the riff is central.
If you can't play a good Rhythm guitar you are about as useful as a cock-flavoured lollipop in a band setting and society in general. Seriously, fuck solos.

Rosal76

Reaction score
It's hardly fun anymore.

According to this sentence, you may have outgrown guitar playing. You may still love listening to music and think about playing guitar but if you are not having fun doing it, the interest may be dying or it's already dead.

I get like that at times. All hyped up on getting to practice a new solo/riff and all the hours of fun I'll have but the first 10 minutes of practice, I feel like just watching t.v. or doing something else.

The only advice I can give is to maybe find another hobby/interest that is not musical releated. That way, when you get back to the guitar, it will be fresh. Good luck getting back on track. :cool:

Chuck

Reaction score
I would recommend listening to a guitarist who plays in a different genre than you would normally listen to. Then once you find someone you like try to figure out how he plays, how he writes, etc. This is always fun and very useful for me.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
I got slightly bored lately and started learning a bunch of Job For A Cowboy riffs and others like them IE: Whitechapel etc. and I feel like it has helped me with my chops a decent amount already. I dont know what style you play OP but as suggested earlier In Flames stuff is awesome for learning too.

')