Really quite proud of these

• Thread starter philosoful
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

philosoful

Reaction score
My latest creations, finally got a 2 month or something overdue shipment of Pearl but man was it worth it:
40404_139754249398425_100000915537828_192322_666060_n.jpg

Best looking picks I've ever made I think and still got plenty more of the stuff now! Both made from the same blank, it's literally just the angle that makes them look so different.

Out of curiosity, would people who reply mind saying what style they mainly play and what makes a pick good to them/what kind of tone and playability you're after... I have very strange taste for my personal picks and thus it's nice to hear what others go for...

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Johnboy_Ice

Reaction score
^this.
Stiff and pointy is key... in my taste the jazz 3's are still too wide at the top, so I use these peavey 1.0 mm's which are narrower at the top and super thin and pointy at the tip.

ncbrock

Reaction score
eh, I just use whatever I have, I loose them all the time. I usually use dunlop 1.1mm

heyimdallas

Reaction score
I like Big Stubby 2mm. They're nice and pointy, taper toward the tip so it picks smooth, and thick enough for a super deep grip area. Feels good man.
I have no clue why I love insanely thick picks, but anything with any bend is just a no go for me. Just doesn't feel sturdy enough.

King Ian

Reaction score
Dunlop Tortex 1mm for me. Just thick enough to get good attack and just thin enough for some fun trem picking and other stuff, and they're insanely cheap. I think I bought a pack of 75 for $10. I lose a couple every day lol.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those look pretty awesome. :yesway:

Curious, how well does the pearl hold up? I've never used a pearl pick.

paintkilz

Banned
Reaction score
I can only play with jazz 3s. I'm like crippled if I'm trying to play without.

Any chance you'll be doing orders?

I'd go for some jazz3 clones.

Do you find a big difference in tone when playing with those picks compared to using a typical pick.

philosoful

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback, pretty much all of that's quite useful. I wouldn't deem a Jazz 3 particularly pointy though, maybe in relation to standard picks yes...

heyimdallas - Yeah, I used to use the 3mm stubbies for the sake of the lack of flex though now I've experimented with different materials I can have no flex on a pick less than 1mm... much nicer deal imo.

MaxOfMetal - not being biased because I make them but it's the best material I've ever used - why else would I decide to make picks out of the stuff? I've tried a lot of stuff, bone, stone, various plastics, glass and mother of pearl had the best attack so this is how I've got here. I think people also under estimate the significance of the angles and edges of picks in relation to how easy they are to play. I could make 2 picks, you'd not see any difference, one wouldn't go through strings, the other'd be like butter.

I do do orders, hit me up a pm if you want to get specific, most orders I've had guys say they want the Jazz 3 shape but like this or that in a pick so I try and custom it to the individual. Prices are on the facebook in my sig whilst the website's still being made:wallbash:

philosoful

Reaction score
I'm not so interested in what pick's everyone's using as much as I am in WHY they do - be it shape, price, tone etc...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not so interested in what pick's everyone's using as much as I am in WHY they do - be it shape, price, tone etc...

Well, my favorite for the past year or two has been the Dunlop Stubby (preferably the 3.0mm, but the 2.00mm are just fine). I like the bevels to the tip, the small Jazz III size/shape, they hold well, and the Lexan they're made of doesn't wear down as fast as other Jazz III style picks I've used. As for price, they're kinda in the middle, they don't give them away (like Fender Mediums or Heavy's), and they're not extra pricey. The only downside is they can be a pain to find in actual stores, so I have to stock up on them.

Though, if I had to say my favorite characteristic, it would be the bevel to the edge where they make contact with the string. I feel, combined with my technique, it makes the pick "glide" over the strings, making fast and intricate maneuvers less impeded.

Latest posts

')