Really thick strings on my sevenstring

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering, I just put a new set of strings on my sevenstring in order to tune to drop-G.
I was in a hurry because I was on my way to a jamsession with a friend and had to change a broken string. I ended up getting Baritone strings...

Any risc of my guitar getting demolished? The tension is good, it plays and sounds really well... but I see a lot of people whining about it being impossible to put baritone strings on your guitar without demolishing the neck.

My guitar is an Ibanez K-7 by the way.

Let me know what you think and wether or not it would be any difference at all compared to getting a 10-13-18-30-44-56-72 specifically made for a guitar (do they even make those for "regular" electric guitars? I had one hell of a time finding a shop where I could get anything remotely close to what I was looking for).

Thanks guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
Nah you'll be fine, you might want tomake some truss rod adjustments but strings don't demolish guitars.

hmmm_de_hum

Reaction score
It should be fine with the right adjustments, i've been using a .72 at B for a few years now, no sign of any damage at all.

Reaction score
Awesome, I figured that it shouldn't be a problem, but I saw a lot of comments on different forums from guitarists saying the neck got bent (or worse) due to putting baritone strings on.

I did need to make the hole in the truss rod slightly bigger, I'm thinking about replacing it with a bigger one as I don't want the truss rod to break.

jl-austin

Reaction score
The size of the string doesn't create the tension. It's how tight you have that string, so you might have to find the right tuning so you don't create to much tension. Obviously an .80 string in E standard tuning is gonna create some tension problems. An .80 tuned to F# will not create problems though.

WiseSplinter

Reaction score
^ You mean the tuner? Sometimes they do need to be drilled out a little to fit bigger gauges, this can weaken them but if done properly you shouldn't have any problems.

The truss rod referred to by Mprinsje is inside the neck of the guitar and controls the bow/relief of the neck.
Thicker strings = more tension = more relief (bending of the neck such that the center of the fretboard moves away from the strings) , so you might need to tweak that.

HUGH JAYNUS

I’m a grown ass man
Reaction score
i use daddario 11-65s out of an 8 string set for mine. in a drop G#(Ab whichever) cuz i hate loose strings. handles it like a pro. could easily handle drop G even. you will be fine so long as you dont tune it up with em. trust me. i use 13-56s on my 6 for drop B. have been for years

Kharem

Reaction score
Its fine, I have a baritone d'addario set with an extra 10 for the high E on my rga7 for G#, would get bigger but its hard to find anything over about 70 here in aus. Hopefully getting an sct-607b in a couple of days so shouldn't be a big deal soon. But ya its fine anyway.

Yo_Wattup

Kick the Butterfly
Reaction score
Your guitar will be absolutely destroyed... it will implode and spontaneously combust if you put baritone strings on it.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
I've been using 13-75 lately and I used to use 17-85.

Just watch your set up and you can put phone cables on there!