Reamp noise (video)

• Thread starter billmaries
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

billmaries

Reaction score
Ive made a video here if you could please take a second to watch, Peavey 6505 + 112 reamp noise - advice? - YouTube . (see video description also). Basically im getting loads of interference from my computer going into my amp, theres no problems with any of the gear and the reamp box is new. Any advice would be very much appreciated guys, I have posted this before but i thought making a vid may help. After some research I came across the ISP decimator (and similar products), but wouldnt that zap the tone a bit? Also, i was considering playing the re-amp files from an external digital device into the reamp box then into the amp - good/bad idea, and if so whats best as a cd player would lower the quality right? Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PatF

Reaction score
I think it is because you have the interface on top of the amp and right where the power transformer is. put it on the desk away from your computer.

That is more than a noise gate is supposed to handle, you will still notice when you start to play. People say they can hear pick attack losses with a gate. But I think they do more good than bad.

Nyrrth

Reaction score
I'm actually having a similar issue, but what's happening with me is that my computer (iMac) seems to be interfering with my speakers placed right next to it. I know it's the computer, because any on screen activity (mouse movement, web page loading, etc.) directly correlates with the sound. Anyways, long story short, I did some troubleshooting, and basically the EMF from the computer seems like it's traveling through the cables and out of the speakers. People on Mac forums suggested "ground loop isolators/hum eliminators", and a lot of them said it did wonders. Here's an example:

I need one with XLR ends, so I'm planning on getting this: Sescom IL-19 Inline Pro Audio Hum Eliminator THE INDUSTRY STANDARD which got some good reviews. Looks like your reamp box has an XLR input on the line input side of the box, so perhaps it will work for you too.

billmaries

Reaction score
thanks for the response i have a hd400 like in that guys video and that zaps the tone a little bit. i tried a different soundcard and imac same problem. i tried playing it out an ipad and that solved the problem, wasnt sure the quality was the best though but it took 50% noise out. surely others must have this problem as well? would a nigher quality re amp box do the same thing? heres what palmer had to say...

Hi Bill,
thanks for your message.
Weve checked out the video. I am afraid it has little to do with the reamping process or our Daccapo. This sounds very much like something that is coming between the Mac and the interface.
Incidentally I have a similar issue in my home Studio, there I'm using a G5 and Protools Digi003Rack. In my setup, it has something to do with the power supply of the G5 that isn’t quite stable anymore. However, your iMac seems fairly new - and if any computer is good for audio, it’s a mac..
It would be interesting to see what happens with another interface. Turning up the Gain all the way on the Daccapo of course amplifies the problem.
On a side note, I wouldn’t put the Daccapo on top of the amp, if youre unlucky, the power or output transformer of the amp will induce a hum in the Daccapo - It has nothing to do with your issue - just thought id mention it.

I hope this helps
Feel free if you have any further questions
Best regards
Robin

Robin Henlich
(PRODUCT & PRODUCTION MANAGER - PALMER)

so im kinda stuck on this one still, ill try the amp in a different house next, its gunna cost me a bomb to get what i want re-amping professionally, but it may have to be the case:wallbash:

PatF

Reaction score
Hi Bill,
That is a high quality reamp box. I think passive is the way to go. An active box could further complicate the grounding scheme. Did you try the two things I suggested?

Do you have light dimmers for switches? Is everything plugged into one outlet? Try to find a receptacle tester at you local hardware store to varify that the wall outlet is wired correctly. They are 5 bucks in the US.

With the ground lift switch engaged there will be no ground loop because the ground connection thru the cable shielding between the interface and the reamp is broken. The shielding is still grounded through the interface.

Couple other things to try are another USB cable and getting your cell phone out of the room.

')