Reamping with audio-interfaces line-out into Amp - signal too low!?

• Thread starter TheEscalator
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey,
since I'm away from my amp for quite a long time I'd love to record stuff nevertheless.
Idea is to record the DI with my Behringer UMC202HD and than feed this into the Amp using the line-out/phone-out of the UMC202hd when i'm home for a day or so.

Problem is that the signal level of the interface is too low to create the same amount of distortion the guitar does, and I wonder how I could compensate for this lack of signal volume (if signal volume is really the issue).

Reamp-Boxes won't work because this interface has no balanced/XLR-out, but i could try to build a buffer/booster with reasonable input and output inpedance.

could this possibly yearn acceptable results?
any other solutions than building a little op-amp-booster?

thx alot! ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tactical Tiger

Audio Engineer
Reaction score
with my apollo mk2 i go out from output 3(trs output) the use a trs to female xlr cable into a xlr male to male adapter then into my pro rmp reamp box the reamp box converts the line signal into a hi-z and gets the right signal strength.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
You need a reamp box.
Get the radial x-amp reamp or the jcr reamp. avoid the pro rmp. price is temping but its not that great.

Reaction score
Thx for the answers!
I'm still going to try building a little booster, but if this fails a reamp box will be the next thing i'm going to buy.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thx for the answers!
I'm still going to try building a little booster, but if this fails a reamp box will be the next thing i'm going to buy.
That's essentially first cutting the volume of your signal, and then introducing an additional gain stage to bring it up. All that accomplishes is degrades your signal and adds noise, which is not something you want to do in front of a distorted amp.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
You can use a passive DI box in reverse, which will probably yield better results than boosting one portion of a balanced signal, and will probably be cheaper than building a booster.

Sumsar

Reaction score
Still that might not be a hot enough output to get the distortion, so one thing I often do is to gently limit the track with some limiter plugin.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Thx for the answers!

As someone who teaches this sort of thing for a living, unless you're going to match the impedance, you're problem isn't level.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
I was going to make my own thread but an issue I am having is fairly similar so I figured I'd bump this.

I have an old Focusrite Saffire 6USB2.0 which honestly does the job fine for most DI recording (I also use a Radial JDI in front since the preamps run very hot). I recently purchased a Pro RMP to run some prerecorded ideas (guitar and otherwise) on outboard effects pedals. The problem is that even when I max out the monitor I can't get high enough levels, and this issue becomes all the more apparent when I reamp using my amp. I was told that with Focusrite products in general I need to max the output level with the virtual mixer, which I do not have with my current interface.

My question is do I need to upgrade and if so what's the lowest level card I can get that will do the job? Aside from this little issue I've been pretty satisfied with Focusrite stuff so far and was looking at the 6i6 that DOES use a virtual mixer...

EDIT: Oh I want to add, it's not absolutely necessary but if I really enjoy the fact that my current interface is bus powered...

Last edited:

Synllip

Cyan
Reaction score
Doesnt your interface have an input knob in which you can adjust the amount of signal?

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
If you mean the gain level adjustment knob attributed to each input... that doesn't apply. my problem has to do with the levels coming from the OUTPUT.

If you mean something else, I don't have it haha.

Synllip

Cyan
Reaction score
You can adjust the output level by using OS volume slider, since you are using your main AUX OUT, the amp's out which is being fed will be controlled by your system/audio interface main volume output.

Latest posts

')