Rebuilding a Schecter Omen 7 - Lamborghini inspired

joaocunha

A nomad
Contributor
Reaction score
Sup?

I have a spare Schecter Omen-7 laying around for a while primarily because it's neck is twisted - I'll start a different thread about the proccess. The guitar was pretty beaten up, too, so I decided to try fixing it up and do a refinish on the whole axe, somehow inspired by Lambos. What I mean by it: carbon fiber + satin black (and maybe some orange stripes).

Proposed specs:
- Satin black sperzel tuners;
- Black TOM bridge;
- EMG 707's;
- 3M carbon fiber veneer on the body and headstock;
- Graphtech carvin slotted nut;
- Headstock modification;
- Neck black staining;
- Scale black staining;

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a pro, I don't have the necessary tools nor the skills, and I am used to do things in the wrong order. You will see in the pics.

For those who don't know how a standard Omen-7 should look like:
bigomen7blk_mini.jpg

I started by taking away a crappily replaced nut:
25052010072.jpg

25052010073.jpg

Started the sanding and pickup routing...
IMG_5060.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg

IMG_5063.jpg

IMG_5064.jpg

DSCF0796_mini.jpg

So I was anxious to see how a maple neck would look like if heavily stained. And so I did it:

DSCF0793_mini.jpg

DSCF0794_mini.jpg

DSCF0797_mini.jpg

DSCF0795_mini.jpg

DSCF0799_mini.jpg

DSCF0800_mini.jpg

DSCF0801_mini.jpg

DSCF0802_mini.jpg

DSCF0805_mini.jpg

Who needs graphite necks after all? :fawk:
DSCF0807_mini.jpg

DSCF0809_mini.jpg

As mentioned before, I started the wrong way just to see how it would look like. The neck needs proper sanding, and I'm thinking about a different inlay for it. This is just a tease.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

joaocunha

A nomad
Contributor
Reaction score
3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber looking vinyl:

1-3m-dinoc-carbon-fiber-ca421_1.jpg

Some inspiration:
IMSA-Lamborghini-Murcielago-Spyder-2009-1920x1200-008.jpg

lamborghini_carbon_fiber_mod_by_Andy202.jpg

Lamborghini-Murcielago-LP670-4-SuperVeloce-China-1.jpg

luis-and-clark-carbon-fiber-cello_tlu6y_52.jpg

carbon-fiber-les-paul-3.jpg

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
i can see by looking at the background of your pics it will be great once it's finished. pretty intriguing. i like that you're drawing from other sources besides pre-existing guitars.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
That veneer is not going to be an easy task.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Yeah, we'll see. Applying the veneer to a flat surface, sure. But I'm willing to say it won't be an easy job. It isn't just a plane. The only real way to get a great level of adhesion is to use vacuum equipment, and most people don't have access to it.

vansinn

Reaction score
^ I agree with the vacuum method usually needed.

Carbon cloth is quite flexible, but still has a tendency to have it's own mind about following suit.
Maybe wrap the body in a thin teflon foil, and make a cast, which could be used to apply even pressure when gluing the carbon cloth.

Do make sure to wear gloves, eye- and respitory protection, and have filtered suction when cutting and especially when sanding, even it may seem like just small cuts and trimming.
The suction filter should be handed to a toxic waste depot.

While carbon dust may look like.. dust, it can be in the shape of micro flakes, as sharp as razor blades, which may easily enter through skin or the respitory system. And it virtually never degrades.
If you think working with ordinaly fibreglass, like the stuff used for walls, is annoying, then carbon is sortof the same. Just much more environmentally unhealthy.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
That 3M stuff isn't actually carbon fiber. It's vinyl. It looks like carbon fiber.
That stuff does stretch with heat. So it is possible to use on a carved top. You will need to heat it and adhere it very quickly. A vacuum system is a must (to get a decent outcome).

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
That 3M stuff isn't actually carbon fiber. It's vinyl. It looks like carbon fiber.
That stuff does stretch with heat. So it is possible to use on a carved top. You will need to heat it and adhere it very quickly. A vacuum system is a must (to get a decent outcome).

Word.

It's a vinyl, actually. Pretty easy to apply:

The point I was making was that it won't be easy, fitting to the contour. Applying it isn't the issue here, it's applying it well.

vansinn

Reaction score
Ahh! I missed it isn't carbon. BTW, I've seen affordable vacuum gear for smaller tasks at car tuneup sites, IIRC also on ebay.
Pr0n shops have some too, though maybe with less sucktion.. :lol:

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Word.

The point I was making was that it won't be easy, fitting to the contour. Applying it isn't the issue here, it's applying it well.

Did you see the video? I know they make it look easier than it probably is, but it really does look like it's waaay less difficult to apply than most adhesive sheet material due to the way it lets air bubbles escape and the stretchiness.

orakle

djentleman
Reaction score
Trust me you don't need a vacuum system for this to apply perfectly

And even if you needed one, its not hard at all to find

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
Man...that video makes me want to use vinyl on my V bass instead of paint.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Yeah. After watching that video, it does look pretty straight forward. In all fairness, that guy was a pro and probably made it look a lot easier than it actually was. However, I think it should be a cinch if you take your time and pay attention to what you're doing. I say go for it.

joaocunha

A nomad
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah. After watching that video, it does look pretty straight forward. In all fairness, that guy was a pro and probably made it look a lot easier than it actually was. However, I think it should be a cinch if you take your time and pay attention to what you're doing. I say go for it.

The carved top will make it a little tougher to apply it, so I plan to put it on an RG first. Will post pics.

Latest posts

')